Van Security - Tracker and Clutch Claw questions. (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I have a couple of questions ……..

My daughter has a Mazda Bongo, and she is concerned about its security. I have fitted a <Broken link removed>to my MH, which I am pleased with. However, I have to log onto a Web Server to view its location and tracks. Is anyone aware of a cheap tracker that can be accessed more easily, via a phone APP?

I’ve also fitted a Clutch Claw to my Ducato-based MH today, and it seems very good, and she would like something similar. However, does anyone have any experience of fitting one to an Automatic? This Blog from the manufacturer suggests it is possible.

Thanks, John

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there are loads of cheap trackers about some with minimal outlay and no recurring costs.

I have just bought one of these; its not the cheapest option available but it seems to work well.
not for the motorhome as that has a tracker fitted along with Strikeback.

I have been using this over the past 4 / 6 weeks trying it on various things , in the car, rucksack, even on the dog for a laugh.
its controlled by the app, has different levels of reporting activity from 2 hourly checks and including real time tracking. you can set a geo fence so it reports when it moves. it reports low battery, and it can be permanently plug in to charge.
so it could be used on a van or motorhome either permanently wired to a USB or charge and locate when necessary.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Have you bought a disklok ?
I already have a Patriot Disklock, with the driver's seat locked backwards and now a Clutch Claw, fitted today, with the 10% discount as posted by Wombles .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A trick I heard of was an old phone with “find my phone” app along with a charger hidden in the van behind a panel used as a tracker.

Jun 22, 2015
lancs
Funster No
MH
carthago 5.8 c line
Exp
since 2006
A trick I heard of was an old phone with “find my phone” app along with a charger hidden in the van behind a panel used as a tracker.
[/QUOTE

👍 an old iPhone with everything turned off apart from find my phone wired to ignition feed, pay as go sim, cheap and easy to use

george w menzies

Free Member
Apr 25, 2018
Funster No
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It is my understanding Tracking devices can be easily found with cheap E-Bay scanners ? Jim was looking into providing members with an affordable tracker but the project collapsed. You would probably be more secure with a visible deterrent.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I recently bought the Rewire 104-pro tracker £89.99 with an annual subscription of £17.50.
Full live contact by app showing continuous location , battery condition and vibration alert can be set which immediately messages mobile via supplied giff gaff sim.
Has rechargeable battery which lasts a month but also has wiring harness for hard wiring which allows remote fuel pump cut off from app.
Mains and 12v charge leads also supplied.
Real peace of mind at reasonable cost imo.

Edit; with the vibration alert set you get a message immediately which warns of someone entering so even if they find the device you will be aware of a problem before they ditch it.

Attachments

• 892131CF-D740-4035-B31F-42C3353586E0.jpeg
    892131CF-D740-4035-B31F-42C3353586E0.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 27
  • EC5E6D67-6749-4B71-8057-A658F331F837.jpeg
    EC5E6D67-6749-4B71-8057-A658F331F837.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 26
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
Most trackers today are easily overcome through a scanner and or jammer which are helpfully sold on eBay. Expensive multi sources trackers will constantly change their frequency to defeat both jammers and scanners. The best trackers detect scanners and jammers and send a signal to jam the jammer and get a signal out. This is what I understand the top spec Vanbitz kit does (although would need to confirm with them). So far this type of tracker has been hard to defeat other than finding it and taking a hammer to it....which is why the best solutions have more than one tracker on board.

Phone based trackers are very simple to jam as transmission frequencies are across a known very narrow band...you pays your money etc. etc.

With the greatest of respect to Bongo owners, thieves kitted out with this kind of kit are unlikely to focus on vehicles at this level so any kind of tracker is better than none....but an effective phone scanner/jammer can be had for about £70 on Ali baba.

Having had some professional ahem, “engagement” with organised gangs who do have the top spec kit, I have got the Vanbitz kit in my MH but appreciate this may be overkill for some.

Adam+Jude

Free Member
Feb 20, 2019
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580
Exp
July 2018
I have a couple of questions ……..

My daughter has a Mazda Bongo, and she is concerned about its security. I have fitted a <Broken link removed>to my MH, which I am pleased with. However, I have to log onto a Web Server to view its location and tracks. Is anyone aware of a cheap tracker that can be accessed more easily, via a phone APP?

I’ve also fitted a Clutch Claw to my Ducato-based MH today, and it seems very good, and she would like something similar. However, does anyone have any experience of fitting one to an Automatic? This Blog from the manufacturer suggests it is possible.

Thanks, John
I have a Global Trackers GT 3 tracker
£4pm, has an app that works on mobile, tablet or pc.
Also ring fence which sends an alert to your mobile if moved
Has real time tracking
So far, ive not needed it, thankfully

Also lots of visual deterrents fitted, 2x wheel clamp, full steering wheel lock

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
With the greatest of respect to Bongo owners, thieves kitted out with this kind of kit are unlikely to focus on vehicles at this level so any kind of tracker is better than none...
I don't think my Daughter would argue with that! :giggle:

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Most trackers today are easily overcome through a scanner and or jammer which are helpfully sold on eBay. Expensive multi sources trackers will constantly change their frequency to defeat both jammers and scanners. The best trackers detect scanners and jammers and send a signal to jam the jammer and get a signal out. This is what I understand the top spec Vanbitz kit does (although would need to confirm with them). So far this type of tracker has been hard to defeat other than finding it and taking a hammer to it....which is why the best solutions have more than one tracker on board.

Phone based trackers are very simple to jam as transmission frequencies are across a known very narrow band...you pays your money etc. etc.

With the greatest of respect to Bongo owners, thieves kitted out with this kind of kit are unlikely to focus on vehicles at this level so any kind of tracker is better than none....but an effective phone scanner/jammer can be had for about £70 on Ali baba.

Having had some professional ahem, “engagement” with organised gangs who do have the top spec kit, I have got the Vanbitz kit in my MH but appreciate this may be overkill for some.
That's very worrying isn't it? The fact that basic jammers are available through ebay etc but also how most electronic security devices can be circumvented by organised scumbags?

It does kind of support the idea of visibly mechanical deterrents working, in respect that it may put a would be thief off, seeing that they'd have to get involved in some kind of engineering to liberate the van?

Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
My mate and long time traffic officer reckons the disk lock is the best deterrent. You have to break into the car AND THEN get tools to it in a cramped space where as a wheel clamp is open to all.

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
My mate and long time traffic officer reckons the disk lock is the best deterrent. You have to break into the car AND THEN get tools to it in a cramped space where as a wheel clamp is open to all.
Do you mean Disk Lock as in "Lock for Motorbike brake disks" or Disklok as in "Locking Cover for steering wheel"?

Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
Do you mean Disk Lock as in "Lock for Motorbike brake disks" or Disklok as in "Locking Cover for steering wheel"?
Yes, stupid me....I mean the locking cover for the steering wheel.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's surprising how many motorhomes I see reversed onto drives, drive it on so they have to reverse it off if they come for it , little things might be enough to put them off , reversing isn't a quick getaway, fit a reversing beeper so if they disable the alarm there's a chance they might not spot the reversing beeper

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
It's surprising how many motorhomes I see reversed onto drives, drive it on so they have to reverse it off if they come for it , little things might be enough to put them off , reversing isn't a quick getaway, fit a reversing beeper so if they disable the alarm there's a chance they might not spot the reversing beeper
I agree, the slightest inconvenience could potentially save a van from being nicked. Wheelie bins, car parked awkwardly close etc. Someone would have to unpadlock our gate, open it, hold it open, move 2 wheelie bins on gravel, move 2 cars get into van with alarm going, disable the various mechanical deterrents fitted, and the immobiliser, then start manoeuvring the van off the level blocks and around the 2 cars etc etc.....it would probably be easier to airlift it out with a chinook...I would hope that they'd look atbte situation and do one!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back