Valve extensions: is there a problem? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hello, I’ve searched the forums for tyre valve extension but haven’t found the answer I need. The van is a Bailey 620 Approach (2012). I have fitted replacement wheel trims (after losing one and being unable to source a replacement) that now fitted leave only a small space for the tyre valve.

We’re going away tomorrow for a few days so was checking the tyres in the freezing cold. All tyres needed a bit of air but what a struggle I had getting first the tyre pressure gauge on the valve and then the Van Haus inflator. The angles were just too night to connect easily and sometimes, being partially connected, the tyre was losing air. I managed eventually with skinned knuckles and much cursing. So was thinking about fitting valve extensions so that checking pressures and fitting inflators would be easier. Are there ones to be recommended more than others and are there any downsides i.e. safety issues involved with fitting them? Thanks in advance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted extensions on mine to save taking the wheel trims off when doing the pressures.
I found they were a bit hit and miss and sometimes I couldn't pump the tyre up. The problem was the valve pin was catching on the seal in them. I took the seal out and carefully paired about ½mm of the inside of the seal they work fine now. I also found lock nuts were essential on them or they unscrew when removing the Tyrepal or unscrewing the pump connector. I got the lock nuts from Tryepal thin brass nuts, thinner than a ½ nut.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I fitted extensions on mine to save taking the wheel trims off when doing the pressures.
I found they were a bit hit and miss and sometimes I couldn't pump the tyre up. The problem was the valve pin was catching on the seal in them. I took the seal out and carefully paired about ½mm of the inside of the seal they work fine now. I also found lock nuts were essential on them or they unscrew when removing the Tyrepal or unscrewing the pump connector. I got the lock nuts from Tryepal thin brass nuts, thinner than a ½ nut.
Can I ask you which extensions you got? There are plenty listed on Amazon but the reviews are mostly unhelpful. One of the suppliers even has a warning ”warming (sic) not to be used on Running wheels”. Not sure what a running wheel is; if it ain’t running, the wheel is useless to me. Some of them seem to be used only when checking or inflating the tyres, whilst others are designed to be left on. The latter is what I assumed is preferable but if one’s using it only as a tool when checking, then I’d only need one of them. Point about them coming loose and tyre flattening as result, taken.
Choices, choices.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have an old flexible extension that I screw on first and then take off when finished, I had to tie some wire around the back of the nut so I could just screw it on with the pipe itself rather than fiddling with the knurled nut.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I tried them but took them off as they seemed to block the air when trying to put some air in the tyres. I just cut the wheel trim a bit so that I could get at the valve easier.
I also use ties to keep the wheel trims on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I tried them but took them off as they seemed to block the air when trying to put some air in the tyres. I just cut the wheel trim a bit so that I could get at the valve easier.
I also use ties to keep the wheel trims on.
I also use ties to keep the trims on. Using a vibrating multitool to enlarge the gap in the wheel trim is a good alternative. Thank you.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I also use ties to keep the trims on. Using a vibrating multitool to enlarge the gap in the wheel trim is a good alternative. Thank you.
I also use one of these quick release things on the end of the air hose, saves trying to screw it on.
1673982225825.jpeg

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I also use one of these quick release things on the end of the air hose, saves trying to screw it on.
View attachment 707395
I have one of these permanently attached to the Van Haus inflator. It helps especially when removing air hose after inflating. But still difficult to attach the airline or gauge to the tyre valve.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back