Using waffle boards. (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Just a quick question, wondering really.
We have two waffle boards , the proper jobs , about 1.5 m long , approx 50mm thick rigid ones.
I have yet to use them in vain.
With all the rain around for winter it got me thinking.
And, yes, i know it's a simple really.

If you go to a site where , on grass, it looks dodgy, do you:-
1Put the front up when you park up on the boards just in case?
See if you can not move off and then say try to mount or dig in the end of the waffle board to get you out.

I can see option 1 is wise but you then have to clean the boards after use etc. Mine live with other things so this would be quite a PITA.

I might I suppose do either.

Of course needing boards and not having them is the worst option.

As I said just wondering

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I've got 4 traction boards and always put them under all 4 wheels on wet grass when its been wet, if I only had 2 then I would do the same with the boards under the front wheels (fwd).

No problem getting them dirty as we had a bag made for them, just clean them after your trip. x:-)

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have two traction boards and use them under the front wheels. As for dirt, made a bag for them .
My only gripe is they are bleeding heavy and bulky, but lifesavers if needed.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I carry waffle boards in case the parking is very bad/soggy.

I also carry 4 ā€œgridsā€ used for driveways and putting stone chips between them.
I go to these first if conditions are reasonable šŸ˜Š

We are rwd so always under these wheels.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Tried to use mine twice, when it was already too late, once at Bristol to try to help someone else get out of their rut and once at Biggleswade when a 'helpful' Marshall insisted l would be okay on the mud, both attempts were fruitless.
Point learned, if in doubt get them under the wheels as early as possible.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I donā€™t carry them, they work once you are stuck but normally you have to shovel them in so they grip.

Parking on top would also work.

Generally if in doubt, I donā€™t go off the tarmac so donā€™t use them.

The golden rule as always is never keep trying with nothing underneath. You just dig a big hole and make it impossible to get out. As soon as the wheels slip, use the waffle board but dig the front out so they get right in.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We always carry four 1.2m long fibreglass traction boards with us as well as four 300mm square ones to park on if the ground is a bit soft.
We have not used the 1.2m in anger for ourselves as yet, but they were put to good use for others to get out of the mire at the Drax meet earlier this year. (y)

1704185855140.png

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Tried to use mine twice, when it was already too late, once at Bristol to try to help someone else get out of their rut and once at Biggleswade when a 'helpful' Marshall insisted l would be okay on the mud, both attempts were fruitless.
Point learned, if in doubt get them under the wheels as early as possible.
Paired with Hydraulic jacks they are great as you can lift the van and get the boards under, as you say "once you are stuck they are of little use" I have rescued a couple of vans up to and over 7500kg that way.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
A top tip for waffle boards is to tie a loop of strong rope on the front edge, as once you've driven over them and pushed them down into the mud they can be an absolute sod to pull back out again, but with the rope, you can use the vehicle to pull them out

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Dont really have this problem (6x6 etc) but from being asked to pull others out , and previous using US RV (12 ton) Its best to put the boards under the tractive axle when parking up . The grid type only need to be the 25mm thick version ,at axle weights with most motorhomes , as they are not being used as bridging ladders. They are much lighter, allowing having 4 for the same weight.
If you put a long rope on them and tie to rear of vehicle as mentioned by Bobby-gg you don't need to stop until you get on to hard surface as they will follow behind . HTSH

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm still using my tatty old bread crates, nearly always use them on grass in the UK, been caught out in the distance past where the ground was nice and firm and then it rained heavily overnight.

A lot of people make the mistake particularly with FWD vans of only putting their boards under the driven wheels then in soft ground the rear wheels sink into a hollow and even with boards under the front wheels it can be very difficult to pull away.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I forgot to mention my van is a 2008 Ducato so no traction control etc.
If it sees a damp blade of grass the wheels will slip.
I'm an ex Landover off road accredited driver so in know what to do when traction is a problem.
With a motorhome you have lots of weight with lots of torque and a relatively small contact patch. Not a good mix.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Why would you want to use waffle boards rather than solid mats šŸ¤·

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have 4 mud mats

One under each wheel on grass or can be moved to to just the drive wheels
They are velcro'd to the bike rack at the rear to the rain can clean them and they are easy to access.

Last used to help out the tractor at a site. It was sunk to it's axels !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back