Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Tracker
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are new to motorhoming and bought our Autotrail Tracker last July. We are hoping to stay at a site at the end of July where they say they won't be opening the showers and toilets, so we have to use the one in our motorhome. (We live in Wales and the site is also in Wales, so just hoping we will be allowed to travel more than 5 miles by then). WE have never used the shower and are wondering is it complicated to use? We will have to get our manual out, but not sure how to get hot water etc. Sorry if I sound stupid, but we are learning all the time. Linda

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we bought a trigger head then realised they are no good if you have a microswitched pump ,weve gone back to soap rather than gel saving probably a dozen plastic bottles going to land fill evey year and its easier to wash off in the MH

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Whilst showering..stand in a plastic bowl (washing up bowl is ideal) soaks your feet without using more water..
Dry off with a flannel to get the worst off before towelling dry..so towells dry easier..
Dilute your shower gel a bit..makes it quicker to rinse off.
If your wilding..you can use the foot soak water to flush the loo...but be careful nor to pollute anywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

RonnieA

Free Member
Mar 16, 2018
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-T 580 4x4
Exp
We switched our shower head control for the doggy one, that has a trigger so you can turn the water on and off. Saves a lot of hot water. We rinse over. Switch off, lather, hair shampoo etc switch back on, then rinse off. Starting with hair and rinse down wards.
Job done. (y)

Does the trigger also switch off your pump or am I missing something?

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Whilst showering..stand in a plastic bowl (washing up bowl is ideal) soaks your feet without using more water..
Dry off with a flannel to get the worst off before towelling dry..so towells dry easier..
Dilute your shower gel a bit..makes it quicker to rinse off.
If your wilding..you can use the foot soak water to flush the loo...but be careful nor to pollute anywhere.

And put your ”smalls” in the bowel, shuffle the feet, and they are washed, well need a rinse and dry. Saves hot water. :giggle:

Upvote 0

Paulajc77

Free Member
Feb 25, 2020
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2018
I agree with the minimal water method. I use wash and go shampoo 2 in 1 smells great.
Once you know how your van works you will wonder why you didn't use it before 😁

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Does the trigger also switch off your pump or am I missing something?
No, the pump is left on as this also pumps to the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. we have the usual mixer tap on the shower that controls the temperature of the shower water. We took off the existing shower head and replaced it with the trigger one. We open the shower mixers and use the trigger head to shower with. When finished we just turn off the shower at the mixer tap. The main pump is left on as it only operates when you open a tap. (y)ps
Like AXO66 above we put smalls in the shower as well and give them a good treading whilst showering ,does the job. 😍

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No, the pump is left on as this also pumps to the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. we have the usual mixer tap on the shower that controls the temperature of the shower water. We took off the existing shower head and replaced it with the trigger one. We open the shower mixers and use the trigger head to shower with. When finished we just turn off the shower at the mixer tap. The main pump is left on as it only operates when you open a tap. (y)
Only if useing a pressure operated pump.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It seems that your concern is more about heating the water than “how to shower”.

In Summer, you should not have too much problem, as the water will be warm to start with and you probably want a cooler shower, anyway. If your mixer tap is not thermostatic, you can overcome fluctuations in temperature by setting the boiler close to the temperature you’d like (30°) and not mix with cold water. Always have the heater running on gas as it’s much more responsive than on electric alone.

In Winter, you’ll need to set the hot water temperature to as high as possible and let it get up to that before you start. You’ll be mixing with cold to bring the temperature down, so don’t let anyone mess with water elsewhere in the van whilst you are showering. Use EHU as well as gas, if you can: you’ll need as much heat as possible.

Start with a full fresh tank and empty waste, if possible, and be sparing. Use soap that you are unlikely to drop. Have towels handy for the finish.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thought they all worked like that, all my vans have had similar pumps. (y)
Loads about that work on a micro switch on the taps, when you torn the tap it switch's the pump on and if you switch your shower thingy the pump keeps pumping whereas the pressure type will switch off.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Loads about that work on a micro switch on the taps, when you torn the tap it switch's the pump on and if you switch your shower thingy the pump keeps pumping whereas the pressure type will switch off.
Yes, understand that, but using the trigger head beyond the shower tap(that switches the microswitch into action and the pump) still allows you to stop and start the showerwater. Then when finished you just close the shower valve, which switches off the pump/microswitch. (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, understand that, but using the trigger head beyond the shower tap(that switches the microswitch into action and the pump) still allows you to stop and start the showerwater. Then when finished you just close the shower valve, which switches off the pump/microswitch. (y)
Yes but then your pump is still pumping even though nothing is coming out so putting strain on pump and pipe fittings.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
I think they should be called 'trauma' controlers, those sodding symbols on the dials all look like gas but are electric???? no wonder people get confused. If you don't know, you don't know. I know I didn't know, but now I know I didn't know, I know I'm bloody glad that I now know that I know.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2018
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Minimal, but learning fast.
Two things we have learned from using the shower in our van, which wasn't as difficult as we had anticipated.

(1) We live in a very hard water area, so almost everywhere we have gone we have needed to used MUCH less soap etc than we are used to.
(2) Always a lay a towel out ready for when you are finished! :X3:

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Yes but then your pump is still pumping even though nothing is coming out so putting strain on pump and pipe fittings.
The trigger shower heads don't cost much so worth a try, IMO, if it doesn't suit, it's a learning exercise. (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The trigger shower heads don't cost much so worth a try, IMO, if it doesn't suit, it's a learning exercise. (y)
Yeah, not saying they aren't a useful thing, and if you are on pressure system, ideal.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
we bought a trigger head then realised they are no good if you have a microswitched pump ,weve gone back to soap rather than gel saving probably a dozen plastic bottles going to land fill evey year and its easier to wash off in the MH
I reckon'soap on a rope' has got to be the best solution.

1593598846138.png
1593598846138.png

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Upvote 0

Robin Tweed

Free Member
Jul 1, 2020
Republic of Ireland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Delaware
Exp
Since 2015
[We QUOTE="RayandLinda, post: 3958435, member: 63896"]
We are new to motorhoming and bought our Autotrail Tracker last July. We are hoping to stay at a site at the end of July where they say they won't be opening the showers and toilets, so we have to use the one in our motorhome. (We live in Wales and the site is also in Wales, so just hoping we will be allowed to travel more than 5 miles by then). WE have never used the shower and are wondering is it complicated to use? We will have to get our manual out, but not sure how to get hot water etc. Sorry if I sound stupid, but we are learning all the time. Linda
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Marg

Free Member
Jul 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

Upvote 0

Robin Tweed

Free Member
Jul 1, 2020
Republic of Ireland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Delaware
Exp
Since 2015
We keep a small bucket in our shower that when we are in transit houses our shampoo bottles and soap.

When we get set up, they go in the rack and we use that bucket to first get the shower temperature correct and fill the bucket.

Quick rinse to get wet all over. Shower then off.

Scrub up with water from the bucket and then shower back on and rinse.

Saves on both the electric to run the pump and on using water as well as reduced water in the grey tank.

The bucket is one that we bought 3.5 kg of bird seed in and the perfect size for enough water to do an all over scrub.

Hope This helps. 😊

Upvote 0

Marg

Free Member
Jul 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If it's a Truma system & you have 2 dials above habitation door you will see ultra store & ultra heat 1 for space heater (fire) the other for hot water.
If you are on site & using their electric you will have a seperate electric switch to allow water to be heated by that source if switch turned on - you have a temp control on the dials above door to suit your needs.
In the shower you normally have a legal hot water max so you don't scold yourself like they do In static caravans - you can alter the temp down up to you - but before you shower make sure you have a lot of water on board or you will be draining everything out of holding tank & hot water tank then the fun starts of having to prime all taps.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
when our daughter was a teenager, we used to have arguments about water usage, as she took leisurely showers and never fetched the water. The biggest issue was her hair, really long and thick all down her back to her bum. None on her head, just down her back, which is odd. We always use combined shampoo/conditioner in the van, so much simpler. Wash-n-go being excellent unless you have teenage boys, who need go-n-wash instead

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RayandLinda

RayandLinda

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Tracker
Exp
I'm a newbie
If it's a Truma system & you have 2 dials above habitation door you will see ultra store & ultra heat 1 for space heater (fire) the other for hot water.
If you are on site & using their electric you will have a seperate electric switch to allow water to be heated by that source if switch turned on - you have a temp control on the dials above door to suit your needs.
In the shower you normally have a legal hot water max so you don't scold yourself like they do In static caravans - you can alter the temp down up to you - but before you shower make sure you have a lot of water on board or you will be draining everything out of holding tank & hot water tank then the fun starts of having to prime all taps.
I couldn't see another switch for electric, so assuming it will only run on gas. I could be wrong so will have another look in the van for another switch.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2014
Brixham Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria twin
Exp
Over 10 years
I have a Truma as described by others ( I also can't remember the settings without the crib sheet perhaps it's something to do with German logic) also I have the shower isolation valve as shown. Set temperature as desired, quick wet down, turn off, then soap up for as long as wanted before a wash off, be aware when it is turned off at the shower head it will likely run hot for a few seconds when you turn on again and get back under, don't adjust your mixing temperature it will soon go to where it was. The valve is designed to pass a little to avoid dead heading the supply, it's not a fault but remember to shut off properly when finished. We seldom stay on sites, too expensive and with care the water will last a few days. Other water systems have their own idiosyncrasies which you will have to learn. In colder weather We usually prefer our own system to traipsing across a cold wet field but we all have our own ways. Probably save a lot of money by not leaving shower gels and hair products behind, for some reason girls have an aversion to using a drop of Fairy liquid!
Whatever system you have all unsuitable for teenage girls unless plugged in to the mains.
Good luck with it. We have friends in New Zealand who fitted a water system to their small ish van. In she went and squeals of delight until when fully soaped up an anguished voice came out "Vince the water has gone off" It doesn't take long to use all your supply and not so easy to fill up again in a MH !
JnJ

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We switched our shower head control for the doggy one, that has a trigger so you can turn the water on and off. Saves a lot of hot water. We rinse over. Switch off, lather, hair shampoo etc switch back on, then rinse off. Starting with hair and rinse down wards.
Job done. (y)
We were recommended one of these just bought one on ebay. Are they any good?!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back