Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Tracker
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are new to motorhoming and bought our Autotrail Tracker last July. We are hoping to stay at a site at the end of July where they say they won't be opening the showers and toilets, so we have to use the one in our motorhome. (We live in Wales and the site is also in Wales, so just hoping we will be allowed to travel more than 5 miles by then). WE have never used the shower and are wondering is it complicated to use? We will have to get our manual out, but not sure how to get hot water etc. Sorry if I sound stupid, but we are learning all the time. Linda

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If you’re heating the water on EHU no problem. If using your gas remember to remove the outside vent cover ( I failed this point initially)
Different way of showering in that you have limited water. Burst of water, switch it off, shampoo hair and body. Rinse as quickly as possible. If you condition your hair that will use extra water so might be easier to use a spray leave in conditioner.
You get used to the minimal water method.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We use these, they hold the water and shower gel/soap so can wash all over with the tap off.
Shower.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Remember if using ehu for multiple showers it is much slower to reheat than gas. If you have a combined boiler/heater there is not normally a vent cover
Once youve done it a couple of times it will be no problem. I have a daily shower and never use site facilities.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
if you are on site , the water is not such a limiting factor as its easy enough to refill the tank. Make sure you have the water heated up fully before you start , and have them both switched on to help with stretching the heated part of the water supply .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RayandLinda

RayandLinda

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Tracker
Exp
I'm a newbie
That is the bit i am confused about the heating up the water bit. So many panels which mention about heat, but is it water heat or in the motorhome? I will study the manuals over the next few days after work and try and suss it out.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That is the bit i am confused about the heating up the water bit. So many panels which mention about heat, but is it water heat or in the motorhome? I will study the manuals over the next few days after work and try and suss it out.
If you can take a picture of your control panel and heating controls then someone will be able to explain exactly what is what. At worst you will have a cold shower, or be covered in soap, but that much more experienced!! Don't forget....... we have all been there and often learnt the hard way. The smartest thing you have done with the shower is to ask first - many of us wish we had done the same :blush:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RayandLinda

RayandLinda

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Tracker
Exp
I'm a newbie
We aren't working on the weekend so will have more time to try it all out. I will take photos of the panels on the wall and ask on here again lol

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Start with the shower turned to cold then increase the temp. If you do it the other way around you will waste a lot of hot water. Most vans only have around ten litres of hot water.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
We had a couple of nights camping on our drive when the MH was new to us.
Testing & checking how things worked.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If your Tracker is reasonably new you won’t have a flu vent cover as they are balanced flu and don’t need one. Just put your boiler on and wait for hot water, simple always easier to use the gas as it heats quicker.😊

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My advice is don’t leave the shower running. Wet yourself, stop the shower and lather up, then rinse off. Leave a bit of time between first and second shower to allow the water to heat up again. Do not run other taps whilst someone else is showering, can cause temperature of shower water to change.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We have never used the hot water. Always boiled the kettle so it's a learning curve for us

I have the same heater and it works well however, I have been known to use the remaining kettle water to strip wash when wild camping rather than shower or just fill the basin, wash and rinse. Or as I travel alone smell................🚿🚿

If on EHU turn to 40 upwards (lets hope you do not need heating) and wait for hot water, remember to make sure you turn shower off and empty tap at end of summer.

I have only had my van since last August so still learning but have had lots of help from Funsters. And if you can't get it to work your close to home go home shower and go back :giggle:

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We use the shower net things as well, you only need a very small amount of shower gel to wash. I also use a 2 in 1 shampoo when away in the MH so it just needs washing out after washing hair and it's conditioned as well. I couldn't use it all the time but when away it's fine!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We aren't working on the weekend so will have more time to try it all out. I will take photos of the panels on the wall and ask on here again lol
Just one additional comment to the above, when heating the water for a couple of showers put it on the hottest setting, ie 60 degrees, tit will take a bit longer to heat up initially but hopefully you might not have to heat it up in between them as the first person hopefully won't need a lot of the hot when mixing it with the cold to get it nicely warm, the second user then may just be able to use the water from the tank on its own as it will have mixed with the remaining hot water in the tank.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back