Using Aires with barriers at entrance (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I only want to know how to get into French aires,

There could well be others looking in for answers to the same question, they like me don't really want to have wade through 'another' off topic battle (y)

Go start your own purpose made targeted thread maybe

One thing on that from your OP that I don't believe has been mentioned.

Caxton and all the other currency cards are notorious for not working on automatic machines - tolls, aire barriers, petrol pumps etc. I believe it's something to do with the transaction being authorised in a different way to a "proper" credit card. I have no idea about whether debit cards are the same, I've never used mine abroad. I use a Halifax Clarity card for that sort of thing and just use the currency cards to withdraw cash.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
@NickNic @Allanm

I only want to know how to get into French aires, I didn't want to be the spawning ground for a spat on UK aires

There could well be others looking in for answers to the same question, they like me don't really want to have to wade through 'another' off topic battle (y)

Go start your own purpose made targeted thread maybe :)
:sleep:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Have to say every aire I have used so far has had a completely different system. From ones with the instructions in English, but with a screen so scratched you couldn't read them, so ones which have all the buttons except they are all in plain aluminium (has the colour worn off or do other nationalities know by instinct which one to press) I hope to understand it all one day :(

But when finally it has been made to work all seem to have been happy to accept my preloaded WeSwap card :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Its not just me then struggling with the options

There are plenty of free entry aires, but even then we have bumped into issues with jetons / tokens needed for services other than dumping, which always seems to be free at least

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Haven't even tried to fathom the complexities of getting water, and the last one had electric for 2 euros an hour which I managed without! :)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
You've forgotten to mention the Aires where the machine is in full sun and you can't read the instructions at all.( eg Ypres)

Or the ones where you only pay after a particular time and the machine will not take your money if you attempt to feed it before that time. (eg Kayserburg)

Or the ones where you have to drive so close to the barrier that your Fiat motif gets hooked onto it ( eg Ypres, Collioure)

Or the new barrier that require the full time attendance of a member of the town hall team to operate it. As soon as they go the barrier ceases to work.( eg St Valerie sur Somme)

Or the one where the only reason you know you have to pay at all is because you read it on a forum and the pay place is almost a kilometre away.( eg Santander marina)

I could go on....and on....and on....!

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Pleased I am not the only one too dim to make the barriers work.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've nearly always managed to get on a barrier operated site but getting out proved to be difficult on one french site.
A British couple tried to exit and they asked me to use my card as 3 of their cards wouldn't work, mine wouldn't either,we had to phone the number for a guy to let us out, the basket was faulty.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Here's another one I did earlier - which only accepts coins and the Aire is checked regularly by the Police Municipale .....

PAY 3 (600 x 498).jpg

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I am not sure if all our tales of failure to enter Aires are making @DavidG58 feel more confident or more nervous...

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I must be honest when you see prices of 10 euros I reckon I would rather be on an ACSI site for not much more with full facilities

The major advantage of an aire as I see it is location, particularly proximity to eating options

I do quite like the idea of someone coming round to collect the money, but I am rather old school, cash is always my preferred method to buy things on holiday :)

We will see what we find week after next, but free aires are going to be the first choice every time, save money, remove hassle and associated stress (y)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I'm looking forward to a new thread starting in the not too distant future entitled: The dumb-dumb's guide to getting an erection on a French aire - before or after sleeping there.:whistle:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I'm looking forward to a new thread starting in the not too distant future entitled: The dumb-dumb's guide to getting an erection on a French aire - before or after sleeping there.:whistle:

Not something I need personally but I'm finding the rest of the thread interesting and informative, particularly as I don't use Aires too often. :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Brilliant, I love dropping the little blue man in and having a look, brings back great memories and really helps sometimes with planning

I had forgotten how great the scenery is around Laruns, we came in from Spain so never really appreciated the views (y)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We are now parked up in the first aire we have had to pay for. Near Saint Michelle Chef Chef. It's run by Camping Car Park and has a barrier. The instructions are in English and were easy to follow. I paid on a French bank card though so I don't know if a UK card would be any different. It said the charge was 8 euros but then added 4 euros on top. It may have been for the life time membership card which it produced. We do have full time electric and all services included as well as free WiFi. I'll let you know if we have problems getting out in the morning.
Paul

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
To exit the aire you are supposed to wave your card in front of the keypad and the barrier should open. Predictably this morning it didn't work. It wouldn't work for the Frenchman on the site either. So we both had to telephone to be given a code to enter manually.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back