Urgent - I need suggestions and guidance (Portugal and Spain) (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just had a shock, a nice surprise, and am now panicking o_O:Eeek::eek:.

Dorset Lady (DL), my other half, has just suggested a change to our plans. Plan A was to leave the UK for Portugal / Spain just after the New Year for about three months. We are now on plan B as DL, in contrast to 50 previous Xmases / New Years, has decided we should leave UK prior to Xmas and return after the UK winter.

We have not been to Portugal and would like to be somewhere warm on a really nice site with top class facilities and a crowd of like minded people for the Xmas / New Year period. So, here is your chance to suggest the best places.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If you are going to overwinter in Europe, I would strongly advise you to forget about Portugal. Whilst it's a wonderful place, Jan - March is going to colder and a lot wetter than Spain, due to it's proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.
One of the most popular places people overwinter in Spain is Benidorm It's a love it it or hate it place but for many British seniors, perfect! Guaranteed to by warmer and drier than Portugal with good campsites decent weather and shed loads to see and do in the town. Alternatively further south in The Murcia region will find you a tad warmer (1-3 Deg) and the driest area of Spain in the winter. There are also campsites around but without the vibrant atmosphere Benidorm has. There are also decent campsites either side of Benidorm if you want to be near but not in.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I would echo the comments of others about the Costa Blanca and murcia being warmer and dryer than the Atlantic coastline of the Algarve southern coast of Portugal.
One excellent med coast resort town on the Costa Blanca is Calpe.
It's got the same climate as Benidorm which is about 30 minutes drive south, but it's big attraction for a lot of people is that it is NOT Benidorm.
Many many motorhomers from all over Europe over winter there on one or more of its very good and cheap several campsites and Aires.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Do be prepared for it to be busy and you might need to book ahead for the most popular sites. We went down to Murcia in February and were horrified by how packed the sites were. I imagine its even worse over Christmas/New Year?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Seconded for Calpe. I'd be there...............if I wasn't in Portugal;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None

Attachments

• 645B5684-FB40-405F-A55A-D17C9A6C27DE.png
    645B5684-FB40-405F-A55A-D17C9A6C27DE.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 20

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Recommend camping Albufeira. Excellent facilities including on site restaurant and bar and an easy walk into Albufeira old town which in winter is quiet (ie not crowded) but plenty of shops, restaurants etc stay open.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you are going to overwinter in Europe, I would strongly advise you to forget about Portugal. Whilst it's a wonderful place, Jan - March is going to colder and a lot wetter than Spain, due to it's proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.
One of the most popular places people overwinter in Spain is Benidorm It's a love it it or hate it place but for many British seniors, perfect! Guaranteed to by warmer and drier than Portugal with good campsites decent weather and shed loads to see and do in the town. Alternatively further south in The Murcia region will find you a tad warmer (1-3 Deg) and the driest area of Spain in the winter. There are also campsites around but without the vibrant atmosphere Benidorm has. There are also decent campsites either side of Benidorm if you want to be near but not in.
^^^^^^What he said . Too cold for me . Try going in the sea you'll die of shock.:LOL:
We are having a similar discussion and after reading the above,did the following research on holiday weather web site

http://www.holiday-weather.com/faro/averages/february
Something wrong with your info . 2 hrs a day sun ???? Up in the mountains possibly . 7 ish/day is the norm here november ,december ,. January. Rainy days ? I can' t recall 7 in a year let alone month :D2

Deleted User
^^^^^^What he said . Too cold for me . Try going in the sea you'll die of shock.:LOL:

Something wrong with your info . 2 hrs a day sun ???? Up in the mountains possibly . 7 ish/day is the norm here november ,december ,. January. Rainy days ? I can' t recall 7 in a year let alone month :D2

Where did the 2 hrs a day come from? It says 6 on that link, the same as Benidorm whilst the average temperature in Faro is one degree higher at 13.

One day more rain in Faro and a little more of it.

Having wintered in Almeria for several years I can confirm that it does rain in the winter, sometimes quite a lot!:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It says 'Murcia',whether that is the region as a whole or the city I've no idea but it has 2 hours Sunr dec, jan ,Feb. No idea where they get that from.

It might well rain in Almeria but it rarely does in Lorca.:DI don't do grey skies or rain so here suits me perfectly.(y)

Average here for dec = 7/hrs sun/17º c
Jan = 7/17º
Feb=9/18º
http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/Spain/Lorca/climate-profile.aspx?month=2

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Love it! I see your wether forecast and raise you my wether forecast! Don't you just love Fun.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
I hated Calpe when I visited last year, Javea lovely but camping Javea rammed, just left Bonterra Park Benicassim today, usually love it there but absolutely freezing under the heavy foliage and absolutely rammed, so noisy , I don't know where to go next,on a lovely site in Moraira but too many trees and closes at the end of the month , will carry on on further south

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I hated Calpe when I visited last year, Javea lovely but camping Javea rammed, just left Bonterra Park Benicassim today, usually love it there but absolutely freezing under the heavy foliage and absolutely rammed, so noisy , I don't know where to go next,on a lovely site in Moraira but too many trees and closes at the end of the month , will carry on on further south

That's a very strong word "hated".

I'm rather intrigued Lynne. What were the things about Calpe that you found so really terribly bad that you actually hated it, and yet you appear to have liked Javea, Benicassim, etc?

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
That's a very strong word "hated".

I'm rather intrigued Lynne. What were the things about Calpe that you found so really terribly bad that you actually hated it, and yet you appear to have liked Javea, Benicassim, etc?

I think it was the rough land where you came out of the campsite, very scruffy when we there, I didn't feel safe walking back in the dark. I think I may be odd, I hated Roses and so many people love it, I just had to leave, but I love L'Escala, L'Amettla was fine but I still haven't found what I am looking for really, back in Spain now but a bit disallusioned really but I will carry on looking, all the campsites very busy, had a couple of days in Moraira but campsite has too much tree cover for this time of year, shame really, if you have any ideas for us I would be grateful, we like cycle paths, beaches nice Spanish town with a few bars and restaurants

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Benidorm -beats portugal hands down!
in the winter the weather in portugal is poor,
in spain there is sun every day and lots of people wot speaks proper english - and lots of campsites and things to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back