Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 17, 2020
maldon
Funster No
MH
wildax altair
Exp
Since 2020
My current motorhome is 7.4M long and 2.35M wide. I am considering upsizing to 8.0M long and 2.47M wide. I am not so concerned about the length - more the width. Having recently come back from Devon in my current MH I can see that the increased width would be a challenge. I would be interested to hear views from those driving similar sized vehicles (as the one I am considering) on how they find driving in this country and in Europe - is it really a limiter or something you get used to? Also have you had difficulties in getting site pitches and access? Thanks

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
We have a Bailey autograph which is wide at 2.49m. Did a month in France for our first holiday in it in September without any concerns for the width. Went through some narrow streets in villages and Dijon.
One thing to note is that whilst the van width may be bigger than many. Including the mirrors it is no wider than many. It’s 2.77m including the mirrors.

All in the mind. It’s still narrower than many artics 😜😜

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I went from a Ducato van to a 2.35m A-class early last year. The width is definitely the biggest issue for me. Some urban roads with parked cars, narrow lanes in North Norfolk and Cornwall have been ok, but not exactly relaxing. But driving around Europe on holiday this year, I loved it. No issues with the width on the continent.

I don't think I'd go any wider. If there was a 6m van similar to mine, but 'compact' so it was 15cm narrower, I'd take it.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It’s only 2ft longer and 6 in’s wider than your current van 👍 so I doubt you would notice much difference. When I had a 9 myr van I got used to it within a couple of miles, just the same as a smaller van 😉

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I went from a Ducato van to a 2.35m A-class early last year. The width is definitely the biggest issue for me. Some urban roads with parked cars, narrow lanes in North Norfolk and Cornwall have been ok, but not exactly relaxing. But driving around Europe on holiday this year, I loved it. No issues with the width on the continent.
Hubby finds it more relaxing driving abroad but even there having a narrower MH makes it even better.

I don't think I'd go any wider. If there was a 6m van similar to mine, but 'compact' so it was 15cm narrower, I'd take it.
That's why we ended up with a Carthago C-Compactline at 2.12m wide (+ mirrors) and only 6.41m long, having had 3 PVCs (2.10m x 6.36m) we didn't want to go 'fat', if we hadn't been able to get a narrow A-Class (or coachbuilt) we'd have stuck with PVCs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Once you go fat you won’t go back. Never had a pitch issue on site or aire. We have taken our rather w-i-d-e Bailey down some really narrow roads no problem, typically trucks and buses go through so can we.
The couple of times where we have come unstuck was down to inconsiderate parking which to be honest would have caused a PVC the same issue. Oh and the time I missed the 7’6 bridge restriction sign on Dartmoor.
We knew that we would have to compromise some of the smaller wild spots when we got the fat van, but with a good satnav we don’t even particularly plan due to our width.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Nothing is too Big! Treble 7 dump trucks Caterpillar! 8 meters ....................when you need a camera to see the other side of the road is when you need to know you are a wide load!

kev
Monster Jam Dump Truck GIF by Overdrive Reality

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
When I was agency driving I used to be driving a transit one day and jump into a 7.5t the next(wider than a Bailey)

If the mirrors next to you go through so will the rest - but watch the low level wing mirrors on the cars.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Nothing is too Big! Treble 7 dump trucks Caterpillar! 8 meters ....................when you need a camera to see the other side of the road is when you need to know you are a wide load!

kev
Monster Jam Dump Truck GIF by Overdrive Reality
Sorry to be pedantic kev but it’s Cat TRIPLE 7 😉😉😉
But the Cat 797’s carry a few ton more😉😁😁
Makes our Cat 772 look like a sack barrow🤣🤣🤣🤣

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
My current motorhome is 7.4M long and 2.35M wide. I am considering upsizing to 8.0M long and 2.47M wide. I am not so concerned about the length - more the width. Having recently come back from Devon in my current MH I can see that the increased width would be a challenge. I would be interested to hear views from those driving similar sized vehicles (as the one I am considering) on how they find driving in this country and in Europe - is it really a limiter or something you get used to? Also have you had difficulties in getting site pitches and access? Thanks
My experience of being in a motorhome 2.3 wide is that the roads off the A roads in Devon are too narrow for absolute peace of mind while driving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have a question for those who want 'wider' MHs ... what does it really give you and what does it prevent you from doing ... is the extra width gain worth the loss of accessibility?

Upvote 1
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I have a question for those who want 'wider' MHs ... what does it really give you and what does it prevent you from doing ... is the extra width gain worth the loss of accessibility?
The layout of my 2.3m wide Geist i585 is pretty much the same as the 2.1m wide Chausson X550. The ~20cm of width in my van does add a hell of a lot to the feeling of space inside. I also get several outside lockers (still no proper garage though).

Geist i585:

Chausson X550:

My family all descend on Wells Next to the Sea in North Norfolk every summer. When I had a panel van, I'd not be too stressed about the country lanes and we'd go out to explore every couple of days. With our wider coachbuild, I tend to leave it on site and cycle places, get a lift with someone with a car or take the bus. Even on the "main" coastal a-road, there are quite a few narrow spots with poor forward visibility where, if you meet the bus coming the other way, you're going to be reversing back past some very close stone walls. I've been down a few lanes where the mirrors were scraping on both sides. 20cm makes all the difference! So it does decrease accessibility in extreme situations.

However, the extra width does make if far more spacious inside. Last year we had several days of heavy rain and we were glad that we could stretch out.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back