Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Thanks for all comments, the dealer is 150 miles away so unable to visit. I think the best thing is to instruct a solicitor as the whole situation is making me ill. If the Dealer, the manufacturer or DVLA can not organise this between themselves I have lost all confidence .

Can I ask exactly what is listed on your paperwork? Full make and model name?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for all comments, the dealer is 150 miles away so unable to visit. I think the best thing is to instruct a solicitor as the whole situation is making me ill. If the Dealer, the manufacturer or DVLA can not organise this between themselves I have lost all confidence .
Better to get some legal help than make yourself ill.

I think it is too early to blame the DVLA. The dealer is the one who took your money before the vehicle was legal and the one who doesn’t seem to know what forms he needs to submit to get it registered. He is also the only one you have a legal contract with.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Hi speve, my vehicle isn’t imported, it’s a brand new compass made in Consett county Durham . It’s not coachbuilt it’s their Campervan model and is a standard CV40 model . The vehicle was supplied with a uk V55 registration form and has full certificate of conformity

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
but they had already written to dealer and returned paperwork
If DVLA have returned the paperwork they won't do anything until the paperwork is resubmitted so it's down to the dealer to sort it.

Unfortunately if there is any problem with a registration application DVLA will just reject it but normally when they reject they give the name of the person that rejected it and tell you to return it to them.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hi speve, my vehicle isn’t imported, it’s a brand new compass made in Consett county Durham . It’s not coachbuilt it’s their Campervan model and is a standard CV40 model . The vehicle was supplied with a uk V55 registration form and has full certificate of conformity
Base Vehicle?

Here’s ours............

61B49B9E-F781-41F3-A882-ABD30B242896.jpeg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The vehicle was supplied with a uk V55 registration form and has full certificate of conformity
The V55 is the application form. The online guidance says that a certificate of newness must be submitted with it. The dealer should know this.

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Here’s is my certificate of conformity ,for my Elddis CV 40 and my V5
6DC69E2C-E4E4-40E3-BF68-B271ED382120.jpeg
88D86E6E-6998-4E6D-9B53-8F86456EA5F4.jpeg

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Yup I’ve got the cert of conformity in my paperwork which is just about the same

BlackIce

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40
Exp
I had the same problem last year I bought a new CV40 in March 2 days before lockdown so at least had 1 night away before it was stuck on my drive. In August I realised we had still not got a V5 and there was no record of the van on the DVLA website. I contacted the dealer and they said it wasn't a problem as they had definitely registered it. I had been driving all around the country blissfully unaware of any problem. We eventually got the V5 in mid September, 6 months after picking up the van. We had done 3500miles by then.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Blackice, I have it in writing from DVLA that if not registered and showing as taxed on their online system. If you had been checked by police ANPR you would have had the vehicle seized, been reported for no tax and got 6 points for no insurance . It’s disgraceful that dealers are getting away with this . You were lucky thankfully .

BlackIce

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40
Exp
Thanks FaIlais,
Yes agree I was lucky and also gullible for believing at face value what I was told. In my defence it was the first new vehicle I have ever bought and thought the dealer would know best. Also it was the answer I wanted after having my first brand new van sat on the drive for 3 months.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I have bought 2 new motorhomes and both dealers knew:
A) How to register a new vehicle using the paper system
B) How long it takes and
C) That you shouldn’t drive it before the registration appears on the DVLA database.

Edit. They also both got the application right first time.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Dealer is at fault here they need to be sorted as you say if they can’t send correct paperwork there is something wrong and why have they not re sent documents to DVLA?
I think you need to get some solicitor involved to save you anymore stress I wish you luck with it try and stay calm? easy said I know but health more important😊

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
09:15 new update. Spoken to Compass, they say certif of newness is only for imported vehicles and that the DVLA is wrong . They are contacting dealer again to see if the dealer can persuade DVLA they are wrong !
You couldn’t make this up

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
09:15 new update. Spoken to Compass, they say certif of newness is only for imported vehicles and that the DVLA is wrong . They are contacting dealer again to see if the dealer can persuade DVLA they are wrong !
You couldn’t make this up
That is not what it says on the DVLA website.
  • a certificate of newness (or declaration of newness for imported vehicles), if the vehicle is new
It clearly indicates that a certificate is required for all new vehicles, the only difference for an imported vehicle is that they call it a declaration. They would surely find it easier and quicker to supply what the DVLA is asking for than to try arguing that one is not needed. I can’t see why they don’t just fill the ****** form out and say sorry.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Another thought. The vehicle is imported, it is a Fiat. Perhaps you should find out where Compass bought the Fiat from and ask them if they can supply a V267.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
11am update !!!!
God bless her ! Nichola from compass has taken bull by horns and spoken to DVLA direct to tell them that in no way is this vehicle an import. DVLA have made the error of setting up the whole registration as an import. After discussions with several people DVLA have agreed that a cert of newness is not actually required but need a letter from compass to confirm they built it and that compass are uk based. Typically DVLA won’t accept emails or scans from compass or dealership so everything has to go back in post and the whole process has to start again !
At least Compass themselves are now involved and I have a direct contact to Nichola who has done her best to help.

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Good luck keep us updated with progress.And let’s hope you get to enjoy your new purchase.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Not all registrations can be done online. I have no idea why some dealers can and others can not.
The same as some can register for the block registration scheme and some can't or won't find it financially viable, as per my earlier link.

But you can't tax a vehicle that isn't yet registered anyway ;)

BlackIce

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40
Exp
My dealer had a set of reg numbers and registered and taxed the van online in March 2020 but due to DVLA staff working from home it was not put on the database so when I checked in August there was no record of my van. It was September before I got my V5 and my reg was on the online database.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Blackice, your dealer lied to you. If you successfully register any vehicle online with the DVLA it will show up on their system without intervention within 5 days. The reason you didn’t get your log book was either your dealer never sent the registration away or that the DVLA returned the paperwork and your dealer did not rectify . Dealers often have the reg numbers to put on the paperwork prior to registering. Who was the deaer ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back