Unibrake A frame (1 Viewer)

Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner A747-2
Does anyone have a UNIBRAKE A frame that they could post a picture of the underside of the coupling that shows how the jawed teeth are attached to the coupling?

OP
OP
J
Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner A747-2
That was the first route of action, problem is they are closed with lockdown. But thanks for the suggestion.
Our A frame came apart whilst we were towing on our way home. What I need to see is the underside so that I can figure out what could be missing.
Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Maybe post a picture in the meantime, we’ve got some good engineering minds in the hive! (and it may be a common to all thing).

Rgds

Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner A747-2
Thanks Jim

picture shows where the problem is. I think it must be associated with the toothed section
55FE208A-F119-4551-9DDC-8D4F479A1280.jpeg

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I use a TAF A frame and previously a Car-A-Tow one but neither has the arrangement shown in your picture. I wish I could help.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
This picture shows a configuration that picks up the short brackets from the side arms. Is your picture the underside of the A frame?
E56BF576-47BA-4E44-BBD5-21BD3E4F6254.jpeg

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Never used one before but I'm guessing if you undid the bolt with the square washer on it, the "toothed" section will probably be able to be moved forward or back and the "teeth will engage on some splines hidden under the square washer, which will allow you to "set" the angle of the arms relative to your car's towing points ? It looks like the bolt (highlighted in Manic's pic by the red arrow) has broken off and would need drilled out and replaced ?

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would assume that on initial setup of the frame that there is a piece that should be attached via the “broken bolt” in my altered pic, that would slot into the teeth on the other part. That would be locked in place and this would lock the angle of the two bars coming out, so that they were correct for the vehicle mounted parts. But could be adjusted so that they could accommodate a different vehicle at a later date.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner A747-2
Hi all.
My picture shows the underside of the A frame.
The bolt passing through the toothed section is locked both ends and sealed with lock tire etc so I cannot release.
All of the bolts are intact and the area that does look like it is Brocken is just road grime I have checked and where it looks like a bolt may have been there it is not broken.
This is what I hoped Unibrake could have helped
with a picture of this area of the A frame
Thanks all for your suggestions
John

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
As others have said, the two arms should be on the bolt you say is not broken (the one welded in situ) which begs the question, is there a nut on the bolt? It looks as though the nut has come off allowing the two arms to come off. I suspect that the splines are there to allow adjustment of the two arms which will determine how far apart the main arms are that attach to the car.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Could you post a pic of the frame from the other side please just to confirm that it looks like the pic Pausim posted ? It looks like you may just be missing a clevis pin ?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Or View attachment 456798
with so thing broken off at blue circle
Yes the 2 arms should be attached to the welded bolt as you show in red.
The toothed clamp on that bolt is the adjustable part & that bolt appears to have moved down(sheared off?) from where it should be up the top where you have circled it in blue

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner A747-2
Landy Andy
Sorry I can’t get access to reply to your last post to me ????
The picture you show is the correct A frame. The part that I need to see is the underside of your photo.
Everything is connected including the Clevis pin.
on the underside you will see a serrated section which slides under the securing bolts I think I am missing a similar shaped part which slides into the toothed section. It would be great if you post a pic of the underside
John

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Landy Andy
Sorry I can’t get access to reply to your last post to me ????
The picture you show is the correct A frame. The part that I need to see is the underside of your photo.
Everything is connected including the Clevis pin.
on the underside you will see a serrated section which slides under the securing bolts I think I am missing a similar shaped part which slides into the toothed section. It would be great if you post a pic of the underside
John
I unfortunately can’t get the photo you require. The one I posted was one I found after loads and loads of internet hunting, as for some reason I became quite obsessed with finding a answer to your question.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
There appear to be a few members on this site who have, or have had a unibrake, but couldn’t find any pics, and thought it would be a step to far to message them and ask for info just to cure my curiosity.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner A747-2
Thanks.
As AMC/Unibrake are not available until end of March, I will just have to keep searching

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back