Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Hi I’ve just purchased a nice low miles mk7 ford transit Chausson flash 02 I would like to get the underside treated undersealed ready for winter salt ect and also to look after it I’m just wondering if it’s worth me doing it with cans or air gun on a ramp or use a company in Llandow called South Wales under seal do it over 3 days with cleaning it treating it then sealing it and cavities around £500 with a five year warranty

OP
OP
Dazz

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
I’ll have to look for feedback
I was thinking of doing it myself but just thinking of people who do this all time will do a better job I would like to think and good long-term

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
There is a thread on here recently that showed the after effects of applying underseal, ended with a total rust bucket underneath that was hidden by the underseal corrosion going on under the sealant. You have to be careful what you have applied.

I stuck some spray on clear grease so you can see beneath it

OP
OP
Dazz

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Yes agree the underside looks good but like you say I wounded if it’s worth myself doing it in my mates garage on ramp or trust local business that do it with a give year warranty

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes agree the underside looks good but like you say I wounded if it’s worth myself doing it in my mates garage on ramp or trust local business that do it with a give year warranty

I would use your mates garage and get some clear spray grease it's dirt cheap. You will get 10 cans for about 25 quid

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
There is a thread on here recently that showed the after effects of applying underseal, ended with a total rust bucket underneath that was hidden by the underseal corrosion going on under the sealant. You have to be careful what you have applied.
That can only be from spraying it over the top of extensive rust.

I do nut and bolt restorations on classics for a day job, see it all the time. If you ever see thick black waxoyl under a car..... assume its rusty! If its been done to a high standard, it will be sprayed with a nice tidy layer of 2k stone chip.

If you have a company that will clean, prep and use 2k stone chip(preferably Mipa or Upol) for £500 go for it!!

If they spray it with waxoyl, that's all they will do. No prep just squirt £25 worth of poo at it.

P. S. Wayoyl can melt plastics. I would avoid it personally.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I categorically would not "underseal" a vehicle ever... Mango and I both work on cars and he's right.
Plus the fact it's an absolute **** working on anything with that sticky **** all over it..
Treat the rust, don't cover it up!
If it's just surface speckling Convert the rust to Magnetite / ferric phosphate then apply normal paint as the layer of corrosion inhibitor, one with a high content of zinc phosphate to act as the sacrificial layer.

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Also, 5 year warranty makes me dubious....

Spray Bedliner for pickups like Line-X comes with a lifetime 25year warranty, and that's with crap getting thrown in the back everyday.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Bed liner has the glass fibre particles in it so is extremely durable and very good for the wheel arches as it is very good at protecting from stone chipping.
The main chassis, if I was to do it, I'd use something like Jotuns "barrier" coat as first line of defence.
Used by the oil and gas industry, off shore oil rigs and railways.. EXTREMELY durable stuff.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Try scanner danner too his subscription based videos are cheaper and better value than any "course" I could go on.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't say if it is a Ford or Al-Ko chassis, Al-Ko state that their chassis should not be coated with anything.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
That's because it's galvanised..
If you are going to coat galvanise you need to T- wash it first and then apply an appropriate coating specifically for galv structures.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
TBH, if you want a cheap no hassle form of rust prevention, one where every service, it presents you with the ideal opportunity, then use the used engine oil you just drained out.
That is quite hard to beat... not very good for the environment mind you..

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Personally I avoid underseal , I'd rather clean up the rust, then use an inhibitor on the rusty bits and give a good coat of hammerite or similar....worked a treat when I used to restore old vws .....the rusty bits I have on my current hymer under front wheel arches are a result of underseal having allowed water behind it.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi I’ve just purchased a nice low miles mk7 ford transit Chausson flash 02 I would like to get the underside treated undersealed ready for winter salt ect and also to look after it I’m just wondering if it’s worth me doing it with cans or air gun on a ramp or use a company in Llandow called South Wales under seal do it over 3 days with cleaning it treating it then sealing it and cavities around £500 with a five year warranty
Unless you live in a particularly corrosive area (on a beach), my advice would be to save the cash and possibly put it towards a good security system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back