UK to wait months for EU trips (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I know this report is from the Daily Express - so make of it what you will - but it doesn't sound too optimistic about early access across the channel. :(

Europe holiday ban: UK forced to wait months for EU trips – Merkel kills off summer plans​

German Chancellor Angela Merkel poured cold water on plans to open Europe’s borders to Britons amid growing concerns over the European Union’s slow rollout of coronavirus vaccines. She warned the bloc’s sluggish scheme means it will be a “few months” at best before widespread immunity is achieved. At a virtual summit, the bloc’s leaders will shelve plans for the creation of vaccination passports until more Europeans have received jabs than not.

They will say it is still too early to make a decision on ditching travel restrictions, including a ban on British holidaymakers, because infection rates remain still stubbornly high across EU states.

It is understood the bloc may not lift travel restrictions until it has administered jabs to at least 70 percent of all adults, a target it hopes to reach by September 21.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I think there is tension on the subject between various EU states. Spain and Greece in particular, want to open their borders to tourists as soon as possible - including / especially the Brits.

Whereas, Germany and France want to restrict movement. And in the first instance, would only look to facilitate travel within the bloc. Thus excluding UK visitors.

It will be interesting to see which view prevails... :unsure:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Since when does merkel rule Spain France and other countries.... Germany tried that once not long ago...🤔
Not sure I would want to be rushing around Europe if the population is still being vaccinated and cases still about personally I can wait until next year. Clearly Merkel does not rule the other countries but at least she understands Science ( phd in Quantum Chemistry, which is more than you can say for most of our politicians) . Our Holidays are all booked for the UK this year, cant wait to get back to Europe though.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Not sure I would want to be rushing around Europe if the population is still being vaccinated and cases still about personally I can wait until next year.
I don't understand this - if you are vaccinated, you are protected.
Surely?
Otherwise, what's the point of having the jab?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Surely?
Also we are all (including those with a vaccination) are still being asked to use a mask 😷 keep socially distant and wash our hands etc.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
It just shows what a mess the EU is and proves one size dosent fit all. If it wAs about Manufacturing Germany would push back and wouldnt allow it. Its about Tourism, which for them is only about 4% of GDP, so it wont affect them nowhere near as much as Greece 18% Spain 15%, Italy 13%. Which they dont give a damn about.
France wont like the idea of the UK being able to travel to the EU, because we’ve been more effecient with vaccinations.
Macron seems to be back peddling on the Astra Zeneca vac now! Saying he would have it.What an absolute pratt!!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
From what I have read the vaccine protects you from suffering severe symptoms but not contracting it. And you can still pass it on.
So pretty much like catching any other bug... and that doesn't stop you going about your life does it.
From the AstraZeneca site:
"COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca confirms 100% protection against severe disease, hospitalisation and death in the primary analysis of Phase III trials"
Latest studies suggest that a single dose of the OAZ vaccine could cut transmission of the virus by 67%

So there may be some very good reasons not to travel abroad - but [in my view] personal safety isn't one of them.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
And quite right too. I wouldnt want anyone allowed to go to a country that wasnt up to speed.
the fact they are so far behind in the vaccine stakes isnt good news but I agree.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Germany seems to have managed to control the virus beter than most
I think they have a right to promote caution
Spain and Portugal opened up to tourists last summer and look what happened to their numbers
UK got a head start on the vaccination but we needed to considering our number's even allowing for variations in counting

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Surely?
You are protected in that if you are unfortunate enough to become infected the symptoms shall not be as severe, what is not yet clear is the risk of transition and that is the concern. You may be protected but you may infect someone who is not. The trials on transmission are not compete and will not be until we see larger swathes of the populous inoculated and the picture become clearer.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Also we are all (including those with a vaccination) are still being asked to use a mask 😷 keep socially distant and wash our hands etc.
Until everyone is vaccinated then that makes sense on grounds for the good of society.
Because until you are vaccinated, that is your best protection.

However, on an individual level, once vaccinated, once protected - there's no reason to avoid anywhere on health safety grounds...

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
So pretty much like catching any other bug... and that doesn't stop you going about your life does it.
From the AstraZeneca site:
"COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca confirms 100% protection against severe disease, hospitalisation and death in the primary analysis of Phase III trials"
Latest studies suggest that a single dose of the OAZ vaccine could cut transmission of the virus by 67%

So there may be some very good reasons not to travel abroad - but [in my view] personal safety isn't one of them.
So what you are saying is it's ok for you to pass the virus onto someone thats not had the chance to be vaccinated yet as you will be OK?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Maybe I've misunderstood the...
Not sure I would want to be rushing around Europe if the population is still being vaccinated and cases still about personally I can wait until next year
I read that as the OP being concerned about his own personal welfare
You are protected in that if you are unfortunate enough to become infected the symptoms shall not be as severe, what is not yet clear is the risk of transition and that is the concern. You may be protected but you may infect someone who is not. The trials on transmission are not compete and will not be until we see larger swathes of the populous inoculated and the picture become clearer.
As above - the signs are good
So what you are saying is it's ok for you to pass the virus onto someone thats not had the chance to be vaccinated yet as you will be OK?
That's twisting my point.

There are many good reasons to stay home - but if you have been vaccinated, then you should not be fearful for your own health - otherwise why have the jab?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Everything now known about Covid 19 pandemic, The Covid Vaccine, how its made, how it works, what protection it offers, & the future tweaks that may be needed to cover mutations in the future was covered on The Horizon programme shown on the BBC tonight at 9PM.
Check out "The Corona Virus Special" "What We Know Know" its on the BBC I player, and will answer most of your questions.
As for vaccine roll out across the EU, they have the vaccination centres set up, some could offer up to 100.000 a week but there is not only a lack of vaccines to give out, but a lot of them are abstaining from having it yet as they believe its too soon.
It appears they believed the hype on the OAZ vaccine being crap for over 65's, so they are holding out for a better one on the horizon (pardon the Pun).
I do agree however that its a worldwide problem, just because we may have had the vaccine to protect us, it doesn't make foreign travel safe for those that live in other places. The Kent Mutation news break, as its known now, didn't do us any favours either in The EU although, they probably contracted it same time as us, just didn't publish it at the time.
NB: The Kent Mutation was infact 23 mutations of the original virus, passed on from 1st source to 2nd etc, have a look at the programme, lots of new info coming out, this virus is here to stay by the look of it, but we will have a better knowledge of how it mutates & spreads, and probably need an annual jab to keep us immune, as some already need for the FLU each year.
BUT there are still a lot of unknowns, its suspected that once vaccinated we may not pass the virus on so readily, but that, and a lot of other questions is still work in progress.

Best wishes to all, hope we all get both jabs asap.
LES

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I know we are playing it safe this summer and staying in the UK where most people will have had at least one jab and it looks like most things will be open. That seems like much more fun than risking travel to countries where few are vaccinated, lots of things might be shut, I might get trapped in them but they will be warmer.

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I know this report is from the Daily Express - so make of it what you will - but it doesn't sound too optimistic about early access across the channel. :(

Europe holiday ban: UK forced to wait months for EU trips – Merkel kills off summer plans​

German Chancellor Angela Merkel poured cold water on plans to open Europe’s borders to Britons amid growing concerns over the European Union’s slow rollout of coronavirus vaccines. She warned the bloc’s sluggish scheme means it will be a “few months” at best before widespread immunity is achieved. At a virtual summit, the bloc’s leaders will shelve plans for the creation of vaccination passports until more Europeans have received jabs than not.

They will say it is still too early to make a decision on ditching travel restrictions, including a ban on British holidaymakers, because infection rates remain still stubbornly high across EU states.

It is understood the bloc may not lift travel restrictions until it has administered jabs to at least 70 percent of all adults, a target it hopes to reach by September 21.

All fine by me, even if it turns out to be true

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
However, on an individual level, once vaccinated, once protected - there's no reason to avoid anywhere on health safety grounds...
Be kind, stay safe, and help to protect others until the vaccine helps squash the thing. this is from the governments website click the link it will explain more.

Can you give COVID-19 to anyone if you have had the vaccine?

The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and a full course will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus, but we do expect it to reduce this risk. So, it is still important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.

To protect yourself and your family, friends and colleagues you still need to:

• practice social distancing
  • wear a face mask
  • wash your hands carefully and frequently
  • follow the current guidance

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Since when does merkel rule Spain France and other countries.... Germany tried that once not long ago...🤔

You just had to bring up the W word didn’t you 🙄😂
Get your tin hat on 😉😊

They arnt acting as a block anyway considering Germany and France closed their borders a while back.
Without it would appear consulting other EU Countries 🤷‍♂️

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Strange way to look at things if another country for any reason isn't ready or doesn't want to accept us as visitors its their choice. When we're have the chance to travel we look forward to being able to but don't think we are exemplars of how to deal with a pandemic.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I'm so glad I live in glorious Dorset as I can regard travelling anywhere else as a luxury and not a necessity. Yes, I'm disappointed that all the holidays I've had booked in 2021 have been cancelled; yes I'm disappointed that I probably won't be using the MH this year as if I do get to find a space on any site anywhere in the UK, what am I going to do when I'm there with so many restrictions likely to be in place? I think my MH will be retained as a day van and for overnight accommodation at friends' and relatives' houses when I go visiting. I still live in hope, but not expectation, that foreign travel will return in 2022 - but will I want to be bothered by then as it gets more difficult as the years rush on with the avalanche of creaking joints and arthritic limbs hindering mobility in my single state. Thank goodness I've been able to do all I have up to now; it had to end sometime!

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We may not be visiting the eu and the uk isn’t the most motorhome friendly country, however we are now planning to travel in the uk and we have a journey plan that takes us down to Devon and up into Wales. Currently all plans in place up to the 9th June. Then we will see and act accordingly.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Strange way to look at things if another country for any reason isn't ready or doesn't want to accept us as visitors its their choice. When we're have the chance to travel we look forward to being able to but don't think we are exemplars of how to deal with a pandemic.

With our high levels of vaccination we are probably less risk to them than they are to us.

We don't have to roll over meekly when Merkel (and Macron) decide to stop us going to Spain or Greece until further notice. Who the hell do they think they are. Let's start a boycott that will help change their mindset.

Don't buy any more new Audis, BMWs, Mercs, VWs, Renaults, Peugeots, Citroens etc until we are allowed to travel into mainland Europe again. Only buy new cars that are manufactured in the UK, or Fords, Teslas and so on. If you must change the car. Same goes for new MHs. Fiat, Ford, or Iveco only. No Peugeot, Citroen, VW, or Merc base vehicles.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Apart from the ethics of the issue, imagine the cleaning bill for your pride and joy M.H. after being liberally pelted with, Custard pies, Portugal. Pizzas, Italy, Paella,Spain, and don't even think about getting out of the van in France, those traditional baked French sticks look viciously sharp. Still, interesting lunch options.
Mike

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
With our high levels of vaccination we are probably less risk to them than they are to us.

We don't have to roll over meekly when Merkel (and Macron) decide to stop us going to Spain or Greece until further notice. Who the hell do they think they are. Let's start a boycott that will help change their mindset.

Don't buy any more new Audis, BMWs, Mercs, VWs, Renaults, Peugeots, Citroens etc until we are allowed to travel into mainland Europe again. Only buy new cars that are manufactured in the UK, or Fords, Teslas and so on. If you must change the car. Same goes for new MHs. Fiat, Ford, or Iveco only. No Peugeot, Citroen, VW, or Merc base vehicles.
Golly. I bet once the German and French governments read your post they will call a crisis meeting and arrange for free ferries for English motorhomes to visit

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Golly. I bet once the German and French governments read your post they will call a crisis meeting and arrange for free ferries for English motorhomes to visit

And so they bloody well should!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back