UK to wait months for EU trips (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Thats the whole point we potentially are
You can still pass it on to someone
They may die but you are likely to be ok

My understanding is that the UK's mass vaccination programme will in effect act as herd immunity, reducing the Ro number well below 1, in turn pushing the number of UK cases down to very low levels which can be further reduced and isolated by the availability of Continuous flow self-test kits. All this is only a few months or even weeks from now.

That's why I reckoned that Brits visiting (say) France (in MHs therefore vaccinated oldies, mostly) would be less risk to the French and other EU vaccination laggards, including a low risk to them of us transmitting the virus, than vice-versa. Am I being too optimistic?

(I realise that the SA variant might undermine the effectiveness of the vaccinations as explained on the Horizon Special last night. But still.)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Does herd immunity work if thousands of UK tourists go to a country where the herd is unvaccinated. I can see tourists being welcomed in several Euoropean countries, however will they be allowed back into the UK without quarantine if they have been mixing with an infected herd?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It does seem - from the content of this thread in particular - that many questions remain to be answered about the virus and the safety for all concerned with international travel. :unsure:

Guess it's a case of wait and see for a bit longer...

At least, as motorhomers, we have a lot more flexibility than most. No need to fret about - should I book a package holiday this year? It's easier for us to just decide when the time is right to go across (or under ;)) the channel.

Helps being retired I suppose. :LOL:

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
From what I have read the vaccine protects you from suffering severe symptoms but not contracting it. And you can still pass it on.
There isn't enough data to know one way or the other whether you can pass it on. Hence the precautions. But if it's like other vaccines it will stop you passing it on. At the moment they can't say that definitely.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
With our high levels of vaccination we are probably less risk to them than they are to us.

We don't have to roll over meekly when Merkel (and Macron) decide to stop us going to Spain or Greece until further notice. Who the hell do they think they are. Let's start a boycott that will help change their mindset.

Don't buy any more new Audis, BMWs, Mercs, VWs, Renaults, Peugeots, Citroens etc until we are allowed to travel into mainland Europe again. Only buy new cars that are manufactured in the UK, or Fords, Teslas and so on. If you must change the car. Same goes for new MHs. Fiat, Ford, or Iveco only. No Peugeot, Citroen, VW, or Merc base vehicles.
VW rule OK , last time we had a ‘Buy British’ campaign was back in the 70’s so thank you but I’m not buying a Triumph Herald again 😉 Have to say the only Citroen I have driven was last year it was a C3 at first I thought who on earth buys Citroen but actually it was a brilliant little car I got 60 mpg out of it.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My understanding is that the UK's mass vaccination programme will in effect act as herd immunity, reducing the Ro number well below 1, in turn pushing the number of UK cases down to very low levels which can be further reduced and isolated by the availability of Continuous flow self-test kits. All this is only a few months or even weeks from now.

That's why I reckoned that Brits visiting (say) France (in MHs therefore vaccinated oldies, mostly) would be less risk to the French and other EU vaccination laggards, including a low risk to them of us transmitting the virus, than vice-versa. Am I being too optimistic?

(I realise that the SA variant might undermine the effectiveness of the vaccinations as explained on the Horizon Special last night. But still.)
I think the take home message from Horizon was that we are unlikely to get enough vaccinated to reach herd immunity given the increased transmissibility of the Kent variant. Of course they didn't take into account immunity from previous infection rather than by vaccine which would help. I think we are likely to therefore see quite an increase in cases as restrictions are relaxed but hopefully as the more at risk will be largely vaccinated not a huge rise in hospital cases or deaths but it's the reason slow is a good idea.
But put yourself in a different position if our country had a fairly low number vaccinated but the rest of Europe were pretty well covered in the vulnerable groups and relaxed measures were resulting in increased cases would you really want loads of them coming here?

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
VW rule OK , last time we had a ‘Buy British’ campaign was back in the 70’s so thank you but I’m not buying a Triumph Herald again 😉 Have to say the only Citroen I have driven was last year it was a C3 at first I thought who on earth buys Citroen but actually it was a brilliant little car I got 60 mpg out of it.
Not sure if I dare admit this, but last autumn we bought our fifth Citroen (a C3 Aircross), during the last forty years.

And further, we're on our 3rd French-converted motorhome - 2 Rapido and 1 Chausson... :unsure: ;) :giggle:

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Not sure if I dare admit this, but last autumn we bought our fifth Citroen (C3 Aircross), during the last forty years.

And further, we're on our 3rd French-converted motorhome - 2 Rapido and 1 Chausson... :unsure: ;) :giggle:
Im the other end of the scale to you, I won’t even buy Golden Delicous Apples 😂😂

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think there are many problems with trying to force other countries to let us in by not buying their stuff .
Just for a start the people most likely to take part are probably already boycotting stuff due to the fishing deal/NI border/ anti EU feelings .
Also how would the people suggesting a boycott react if the tables were turned most likely dig their heels in and reciprocate!!! What makes them think johnny foreigner won't do the same?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Not sure if I dare admit this, but last autumn we bought our fifth Citroen (C3 Aircross), during the last forty years.

For Christ's sake don't tell Chris...

JJ :cool:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I think the take home message from Horizon was that we are unlikely to get enough vaccinated to reach herd immunity given the increased transmissibility of the Kent variant. Of course they didn't take into account immunity from previous infection rather than by vaccine which would help. I think we are likely to therefore see quite an increase in cases as restrictions are relaxed but hopefully as the more at risk will be largely vaccinated not a huge rise in hospital cases or deaths but it's the reason slow is a good idea.
But put yourself in a different position if our country had a fairly low number vaccinated but the rest of Europe were pretty well covered in the vulnerable groups and relaxed measures were resulting in increased cases would you really want loads of them coming here?

Your second paragraph is too hypothetical to need a reply.

I am hoping that the track and trace system (now searching backwards for prior contacts not just forwards for new contacts) plus the cheap and fast continuous flow tests will push the new case numbers very low indeed so we can get on with our lives.

While observing the hands, space and face guidance and lots of fresh air. I am OK with that.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Not sure if I dare admit this, but last autumn we bought our fifth Citroen (a C3 Aircross), during the last forty years.

Me too....I just bought an Aircross....fab little car....

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Me too....I just bought an Aircross....fab little car....
Yeh, it's cool. Ours is petrol automatic with lots of bells and whistles - cruise control, sat-nav, reversing sensors and camera etc. We bought it 9 months after first registered with just 229 miles on the clock. Good fun, but practical too.

Oh and my lad bought one as well. :giggle:

Oops, sorry, going a bit off topic... :unsure: ;)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Portugal is desperate for British visitors ( or at least their money😀) -------but are extremely well aware of the risks------- the last couple of months have been really difficult------I really dont think most Portuguese are willing to risk a repeat 😥
I dont believe the Portugal government will take much notice of any other countries recommendations---- they are quite capable of making what they believe are the best decisions for the country-------I think they realise the mistake of easing all restrictions to allow a family xmas 😥
We are desperate to take our van for a run but have to be patient----- like our vaccination---- still only about 700 thousand had it----- but portugal are already planning to share their limited quota with old colonies..

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think France could be a sticking point. Does anyone know whether they are compelled to allow us to transit?

Otherwise their tunnel could become a bit of an expensive ornament

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Your second paragraph is too hypothetical to need a reply.

I am hoping that the track and trace system (now searching backwards for prior contacts not just forwards for new contacts) plus the cheap and fast continuous flow tests will push the new case numbers very low indeed so we can get on with our lives.

While observing the hands, space and face guidance and lots of fresh air. I am OK with that.
I hope for the same and for certain if cases reduce and stay low our chances of travel abroad will be a lot better.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think France could be a sticking point. Does anyone know whether they are compelled to allow us to transit?

Why would they be compelled to allow us to transit? Should we be compelled to allow travel by people from other nations?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Although I'm just a lurker now after my recent ban I thought I would respond to your post and this thread in general. (and then disappear again). Things are amok in the E.U. The E.U.Commision has started legal action against 6 E.U. countries for failing to comply with its founding principal of 'Freedom Of Movement'. The warning, which has been ignored was issued after Belgium, France and Germany, (possibly others too) closed some or all of their borders and stopped E.U. citizens from neighbouring countries entering. The said countries claim they have the right to introduce there own border controls with respect to Covid 19 and protect their citizens. Merkle, who does not speak for the E.U. commission has I believe retaliated against the commission by issuing a statement to the effect no foreign visitors allowed for holidays into the E.U. until all German citizens have been vaccinated around the end of summer ?
Greece and other countries dependant on tourism have gone ballistic and also adding to the mix, they want a E.U. wide vaccine passport that will allow people to travel freely across the E.U. Germany & France do not rely of Tourism very much and are happy to keep things pretty much the way we are at present. The E.U. is in disarray and the commission is being ignored. It's basicaly all gone tit's up!

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.

Have you ever counted the relative numbers of British, French and indeed other European cars on the channel crossings? If all routes were permanently closed there would be a hugely indifferent Gallic shrug from the other side.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Am I the only one who thinks that going to Europe may not be the problem but being allowed back might be? If we stay way ahead with vaccinations will our Government lift the quarantine requirement from returnees, I think not.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I think there is tension on the subject between various EU states. Spain and Greece in particular, want to open their borders to tourists as soon as possible - including / especially the Brits.

Whereas, Germany and France want to restrict movement. And in the first instance, would only look to facilitate travel within the bloc. Thus excluding UK visitors.

It will be interesting to see which view prevails... :unsure:

Spain and Greece are after the Germans and the Brits, the two big spenders, plus the rest of the northern Europeans, as tourism represents 15-20% of their entire economy.

If Spain/Greece say "you can come in as long as you have a Covid passport"
The first problem is that you cant have a Covid passport until 21 days after the 2nd jab.

The jab distribution systems of the Northern European countries then get overrun by people 'insisting on their right' to get a jab NOW.
Even the UK, which is ahead of everyone else in the EU at the moment is not expecting to get to 70% coverage until October.

Even if you have had the two jabs months ago, the UK (or any other country) does not want its citizens going on holiday to places where Covid is rife, as if if you don't get it yourself, you can still bring back, yet another new strain, and infect the people back home.

Remember the big corona pools were the ski resorts and the Mediterranean resorts

I'm with Merkel on this one.
Everyone keeps to their own country until the spring of 2022 at the very earliest, and then introduce the Covid Passport.
No Jab, No Entry.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Since when does merkel rule Spain France and other countries.... Germany tried that once not long ago...🤔
Did you not realist it been happening since the concept of the common market Germany could never take over Europe by force but through the back door there doing it
probably going to hell for this post
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back