UK availability of LPG

Libs

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Wildax Aurora
From what I have read, most uk filling stations will phase out LPG by 2024. It’s already getting hard to find places that sell LPG particularly in Scotland. My van’s heating /hot water, hob and fridge are all gas fed by an underslung tank . We haven’t ever bothered with hook up as don’t need it.

If anyone is else is in this situation, what will you do? Are there alternatives that can use the tank? Or do I need to somehow move to bottled gas?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Flogas depots certainly still sell LPG.

don’t get why garages are removing their LPG pumps, under 1% of cars, that’s over 300000 vehicles run on LPG, and additionally it’s much less polluting than both petrol and diesel.

the reduction of outlets guided my decision to install one refillable and one conventional gas bottle

Reactions: f6c

Stealaway

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
From what I have read, most uk filling stations will phase out LPG by 2024. It’s already getting hard to find places that sell LPG particularly in Scotland. My van’s heating /hot water, hob and fridge are all gas fed by an underslung tank . We haven’t ever bothered thewith hook up as don’t need it.

If anyone is else is in this situation, what will you do? Are there alternatives that can use the tank? Or do I need to somehow move to bottled gas?
Don't believe everything that you read.
Download the app mylpg.eu. there are loads in Scotland. Never had a problem getting my bottles filled here or abroad just don't expect your local garages to keep it.
Fill up when you are on your travels.

OP
OP
L

Libs

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Wildax Aurora
Thanks all, this is reassuring as just got a new tank fitted as the old one was rusting badly and was starting to think that was an expensive mistake…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
From what I have read, most uk filling stations will phase out LPG by 2024. It’s already getting hard to find places that sell LPG particularly in Scotland. My van’s heating /hot water, hob and fridge are all gas fed by an underslung tank . We haven’t ever bothered with hook up as don’t need it.

That story is typical sensationalist journalism.

MFG (motor fuels group ) who run approximately 900 petrol forecourts announced that they were withdrawing from the LPG market, what that means in reality is the 57 forecourts they have with LPG will stop selling it by 2024 .

Pretty insignificant really .

Yes the LPG market has changed significantly over the last couple of decades, very few cars are now LPG powered , this decline began in the early 2000s .

BP pulled out of the LPG market in 2015 / 16 followed by Shell in 2020 when they wound up Autogas a joint venture with Calor.

There are still independent BP and Shell franchises that have LPG.

The good news is that more Leisure businesses are actually now installing new LPG pumps as the Leisure industry has seen a massive increase in refillable LPG tanks / cylinders.

So whilst their has been a significant decline in the number of LPG pumps overall, it’s certainly never going to completely disappear and in fact with Leisure vehicles it’s a completely different market as it’s small volumes and often infrequently refilled , once you get used to planning ahead it’s not a problem at all , especially with the way Calor have been with regards to cylinder shortage for the last few years.

We have our own LPG pump onsite and stock a massive selection of refillable LPG tanks and cylinders along with leisure vehicle gas regulators etc .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline

Agree that they are disappearing from for fuel stations. They certainly are around here. Possibly others will start to offer a gas refuel, but can’t see that being cheap, as they won’t be selling large amounts, and will be less easy, such as only open 9-5 week days. Or having to book yourself in. Will they have room to get a big van in there?

Am I correct in thinking if you buy from other than a fuel station it should be cheaper as less tax? But alternatives I’ve seen cost more.

I now just fill as I enter France and refill when I leave France. My twin 11kg will easily cover my UK events.

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20

Libs you don’t say what part of Scotland you are from but most Morrisons stores in Scotland sell LPG on the petrol forecourt usually a single pump front right hand side as you drive into petrol station.

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Here we go again

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
All the Morrisons close to me have large LPC tanks and have just invested in and installed new pumps, so I doubt that they would be doing that if they were planning on ripping them out in the near future.

I can observe the pumps from my coffee shop table and they have a lot of motorhome customers.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
That story is typical sensationalist journalism.

MFG (motor fuels group ) who run approximately 900 petrol forecourts announced that they were withdrawing from the LPG market, what that means in reality is the 57 forecourts they have with LPG will stop selling it by 2024 .

Pretty insignificant really .

Yes the LPG market has changed significantly over the last couple of decades, very few cars are now LPG powered , this decline began in the early 2000s .

BP pulled out of the LPG market in 2015 / 16 followed by Shell in 2020 when they wound up Autogas a joint venture with Calor.

There are still independent BP and Shell franchises that have LPG.

The good news is that more Leisure businesses are actually now installing new LPG pumps as the Leisure industry has seen a massive increase in refillable LPG tanks / cylinders.

So whilst their has been a significant decline in the number of LPG pumps overall, it’s certainly never going to completely disappear and in fact with Leisure vehicles it’s a completely different market as it’s small volumes and often infrequently refilled , once you get used to planning ahead it’s not a problem at all , especially with the way Calor have been with regards to cylinder shortage for the last few years.

We have our own LPG pump onsite and stock a massive selection of refillable LPG tanks and cylinders along with leisure vehicle gas regulators etc .

And I understand the intention is to modify LPG to a biofuel type, which will be to the user, exactly the same, just zero emissions

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
response from MFG;

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting Motor Fuel Group.

Auto-LPG tanks and infrastructure take up a significant amount of space and are expensive to maintain.
Revenue from LPG is low and demand is declining which makes continued investment less commercially viable.

We are constantly reviewing how best to utilise the land at each of our service stations and are looking to support the energy transition to electric wherever possible.

It is, therefore, likely that under-utilised LPG facilities or those that require significant investment will be replaced by other services, including electric vehicle charging hubs.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Sarah
Customer Service Administrator

----------------------------------------------------------------
T: +44 (0) 1727 898890
W: http://www.motorfuelgroup.com
Motor Fuel Group, Gladstone Place, 36-38 Upper Marlborough Road, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1 3UU

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Many taxis in Kings Lynn run on LPG and they have a Morrisons with LPG next door to the station where many of them await arrivals.

Here in the sunny west midlands :wink:
I'm aware of 2 localish taxi companies who have now installed their own pumps and sell on to Joe public. (y)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I think I've seen this issue mentioned in another thread (or two) .... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It might well be scaremongering.

But for years I've never heard of anyone running out of refillable gas. Last year we had at least a dozen people on site asking me where the nearest gas was because they were out/nearly out and couldn't find any. Luckily In Sutton I can direct them to a local independent garage that sells it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Here in the sunny west midlands :wink:
I'm aware of 2 localish taxi companies who have now installed their own pumps and sell on to Joe public. (y)
that’s helpful, could you share their locations?
in Coventry we have Flogas and LPG cars that both provide, and are both easily accessible for a large van.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Is bio-methane appropriate as an lpg replacement?
This article about Bristol buses is a couple of years old but interesting in that their filling stations take gas directly from the mains. However I am not sure how they extract just the bio-methane “injected into the mains remotely”

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
that’s helpful, could you share their locations?
in Coventry we have Flogas and LPG cars that both provide, and are both easily accessible for a large van.

May not be much use as they are in Walsall, so opposite end from you.
All listed on the Mylpg.eu app. (y)

Luckily for me i have 2 places within 1 mile just off jn 12 of the M6 by Gailey.
BP station and MSS Power.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
response from MFG;

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting Motor Fuel Group.

Auto-LPG tanks and infrastructure take up a significant amount of space and are expensive to maintain.
Revenue from LPG is low and demand is declining which makes continued investment less commercially viable.

We are constantly reviewing how best to utilise the land at each of our service stations and are looking to support the energy transition to electric wherever possible.

It is, therefore, likely that under-utilised LPG facilities or those that require significant investment will be replaced by other services, including electric vehicle charging hubs.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Sarah
Customer Service Administrator

----------------------------------------------------------------
T: +44 (0) 1727 898890
W: http://www.motorfuelgroup.com
Motor Fuel Group, Gladstone Place, 36-38 Upper Marlborough Road, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1 3UU
So MFG think gas is “under utilised “. It was ”utilised” more than their new non operational E charging points at what was my local lpg point. Easily over two years been like this.
0199C848-79D9-4D16-BCDF-4C1A550CED8B.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
All the Morrisons close to me have large LPC tanks and have just invested in and installed new pumps, so I doubt that they would be doing that if they were planning on ripping them out in the near future.

I can observe the pumps from my coffee shop table and they have a lot of motorhome customers.

I have heard of 'Trainspotters' but........... :LOL:

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Don't forget FILL LPG App which I find more appropriate than myLPG. for Uk use..
Not my day , can’t find that either , is it Android only , can’t find it in Apple App Store ☹️

Ignore that , it’s a web site too , thanks .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Gleneagle
Exp
I'm a newbie had a wobbly box when adam was a lad
We had an LPG pump outside the village until 18 months ago when they redeveloped the site minus the LPG. Questioned this and the reply I got was a lack of use, the thing is that they don't have tanks, so I'm told as the refinery is literally across the road and all fuel comes from there.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Was trying to find it on App Store 😲, it’s not really an app but a website , got a link saved now , many thanks
It's definitely in the Google Play Store, as I've got it on my Samsung phone and tablet. I only use the website when on my PC. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
It's definitely in the Google Play Store, as I've got it on my Samsung phone and tablet. I only use the website when on my PC. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Yep got them all on my Samsung Android phone... FILL LPG, Autogas and myLPG 👍👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back