Apr 15, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2003
Hi There.

This year we purchased our first used European Motorhome and kitted it out with all we needed for a 5 month long summer trip around Europe. We purchased a Cello 20" 12V / 240 V TV / DVD and tested it out before leaving the UK. We bought a mag mount aerial which we put on the roof and scanned for channels, we picked up around 120 freeview channels. Once we got to Belgium and then Germany, Luxembourg and many other countries the TV wouldn't pick up one channel. Of course each time we programmed the TV to the said country. Called Cello who said the platforms in Europe had changed in the last 18 months and they couldn't keep up with all the changes all TV's from UK now need a SAT card inside them to receive TV in Europe now along with a SAT dish on the roof. I didn't disbelieve them until I met a couple that had bought a cheap 12v TV from Aldi this year and was watching it in their camper in Slovenia.
Would be interested to know if all you guys TV's stopped working in the last year or two whilst in Europe.

Thanks for your input

Rolling Rolling
VW Karmann Colorado 1998

OP
OP
rolling rolling

rolling rolling

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2003
No I don't think so as we asked them how they were receiving TV channels and they had just tuned it in for that countrr, perhaps it had a built in sat card inside they were not aware of. Do you get free Satellite TV chnanels in europe then ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Not sure about this. When uk went digital for terrestrial tv it was dvbt1. I think france, and possibly other countries, use dvbt2.
You can get set top boxes to go between aerial and tv.
I think a dvbt2 box is compatible with dvbt1 as well.

Example

OP
OP
rolling rolling

rolling rolling

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2003
Thank you , yes Cello did mention about buying a separate box that's sits in between the two. Just didn't want more stuff in the camper and more plugs needed to plug it in.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
You can receive 'UK' Satellite tv in Slovenia.

Digital tv via an aerial, when I was last there, was limited to 3 (ish) channels

Slovenia 1- 24hr news
Slovenia 2 - 24hr news HD
Slovenia 3 - 24hr news +1hr

I was using a Necvox (small magnetic mount) aerial

Fortunately I had my paraglider, Motorcycle, skateboard, unicycle, etc. with me so I wasn't bored!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our 22" Cello Traveller picks up terestal channels all around Europe without a problem, TV is 18 months old, connectected via the standard whip aerial on the roof.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not sure about this. When uk went digital for terrestrial tv it was dvbt1. I think france, and possibly other countries, use dvbt2.
You can get set top boxes to go between aerial and tv.
I think a dvbt2 box is compatible with dvbt1 as well.

Example
I think it may be the other way around, UK is DVB-T2.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We only use the TV in our MH during the winter when we're away. Don't have satellite so watch DVDs if we want to watch something.

We've now got Netflix but haven't tried it in Europe yet.

Denise

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
French TV is now HD only.
If your TV isn't an HD set you won't get anything in France.
Using a regular TV aerial won't get you UK TV anywhere in Europe anyway, the transmitter range is very limited and may just stretch across the Channel but no further.
The only way is via the Internet or satellite and even satellite isn't perfect anymore with fewer channels.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Heard of this problem on another forum.
We have satellite but have also been able to pick up loads of French tv channels using the whip antenna on the roof.

Richard.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
General rule is that with a TV aerial, you should be able to pick up all the "terrestrial" tv channels for the country you are in via a tv aerial. Simply as the system is via land based masts with limited reception - hence why you only get UK TV channels, in the UK, French in France etc (ok with a small overlap at borders!). Some broadcast standards do differ, for example, France is all transmitted in HD.

Via a satellite dish, you get whatever "terrestrial" channels you can that a( your dish is large enough to receive, b) fromthe satellites that your dish is aligned to, and c) that you can get with or without a card (french channels on Astra 1 require a TNTSAT card and box, german channels are all free)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back