Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
E2769916-AB7D-40BC-A47B-881E38E0BE15.jpeg
Hi all, we have noticed that the tv reception on our tv has been extremely frustrating of late.
We only have the basic/standard Ariel that our van came with (Pic above) and a Avtex TV. Sometimes the picture is fine, but at other times, the picture keeps freezing or is non existent a lot of the time.
Have been talking to the guys at Vanbitz who have been very helpful, and they recommend the VuQube 2 system, which looks like the way we will be going.
Didn’t really want to put a dome on the roof, but looks like this will be the only way, unless we have it free standing, but then you have got to find space to store it etc.
What do others do?
Not really interested in getting loads of channels, just the normal ones etc.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Do you have a lead connecting from the tv to a wall socket ??
If yes, was it a cheap shop bought lead ??

If you have then it may be worth making up a lead with some good cable and plugs.. This is often the weak link in a TV aerial system.. When digital TV came out and i had my satellite / aerial business we cured lots of issues just by supplying a decent lead. Also may be worth checking the back of any wall plate to ensure cable connection is ok.. All worth a try.. (y)

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Hilldweller - that is the sort that we had in our previous van (Coachbuild) and we did get a better picture, than we currently do in present van.
Our current Ariel is based right above our bathroom, hence no space for a pole to be inserted.
Nasher - Yes, have checked the leads , all ok. It’s a New Autotrail van, so all leads will be new. I may well try the Necvox ANT -536 to start with. At that price, its worth a go, before starting to get into the 000’s for a dome arrangement.
We are not big tv watchers, so find it difficult to justify the bigger outlay required for dome type arrangements, but would like to have a picture that we can watch when required.
Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hence no space for a pole to be inserted..

What nowhere ? What is above your wardrobe ?

I have just ripped off an Oyster and fitted one of these and it works well.

Why rip off the Oyster, needed solar charging more.

We actually watch more recorded than off air when on the move, got a big HD full of transferred DVDs and off air recordings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Even with a good arial terrestrial TV is often difficult to pick up, a lot of sites are outside strong signal areas.. I've been on sites where there is no signal.

some of these sites now provide a TV arial connection..

You have an Avtex so it will have a built in Satellite tuner.. ?

My solution was to buy a BROKEN LINK small size and very easy to set up, can be used on a tripod, or sat on a table or on the ground.. they get excellent reviews.

bought mine second hand for £40.. generally some on Ebay

Will also receive Astra 2 UK channels down to the bottom half of France.. further afield , Spain Portugal etc you will get Astra 1 with some English channels

Last edited:

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
I think I've spotted your problem, your roof is too clean and is reflecting the signal.(y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have a snipe, best bit of kit out there. I could post a dull video of it locking on to a satellite, but that would bore everyone to tears!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
What nowhere ? What is above your wardrobe ?

I have just ripped off an Oyster and fitted one of these and it works well.

Why rip off the Oyster, needed solar charging more.

We actually watch more recorded than off air when on the move, got a big HD full of transferred DVDs and off air recordings.
we have that and we can never get anything how do you find which angle direction to set it

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we have that and we can never get anything how do you find which angle direction to set it

First thing is look for other aerials. This latest one has a built in strength meter and it's very sensitive.

Previously we used the signal meter in the TV.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
First thing is look for other aerials.
But NOT the aerials on other VANS.
These tend to point in the last direction when the owner gave up trying which is why there's never more than a couple pointing the same way.

Look for house aerials nearby or even in the last village you passed through.
You also need to look which way the aerial 'fingers' are pointing... Horizontal or Vertical.. This Can be critical to getting a picture or not.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You may find the following website useful for finding which direction to point your aerial, you can enter your location by various means, postcode, lat and long etc. and select different methods of choosing a transmitter, i just use nearest, and it will give you a bearing (Azimuth) and other information and you can see the direction on google maps.

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/TerrestrialTV/TerrestrialCalculator.shtml

There are also some apps available for phone or tablet but i haven't tried any of those yet.

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
OK, after spending some time looking at the Norfolk show, and speaking with Vanbitz, the 2 solutions which we are considering are, the VuQube 2 system which comes out at £1039 fitted to the roof, and the SATFi system which comes out at £1499 fitted.
Would be interested in hearing if anyone has either of these systems, and how they preform.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back