Truma Heater code again. Odd one (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
well I say odd one. I found it in the online PDF code decoder and thought O that's not good. But zero posts by anyone else saying they had the fault in google search.

I was running on elec only and a quick off and on it worked fine the rest of the night.

What I did spit though was I had accidentally blocked one of the air ducts with a plastic container. I am thinking/hoping I just caused it to have a shit fit with backed up hot air pressure.

This was the code at 3am

IMG_4890.JPG

As I say moving the blockage and turning it off and on it ran fine. Hopefully just some user error?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Blocking one vent shouldn't have caused a circulation problem. I have 6 cents and block three of these all the time to get more heat to the living area. But strange removing the blockage cured it. Unless it was the only vent left.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
When I went to the NEC I spoke to the truma guy about this i truma thing and during our discussion it came up about the vents as I wanted to close a couple to hopefully direct the heat somewhere else
Apparently the truma 6 doesn't like it so not to be done was what I was informed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
The same fault has just reared its head again :(

700 miles from home with a 2 year old and pregnant wife and no heating of hot water in the van.

Very very annoyed to say the least. This time it's error code 89 but says the same thing in the description.

- Electronics fault
- Combustion air motor fault

Neither of which sound like something I can fix.
I have tried unhooking the EHU and running off the battery only. Electric only. Mix of both. Water only. Heating only. High temp low temp. Off and on a dozen times and it just keeps throwing up the same error and we have no heat.

The only saving grace is I did bring a small plug in fan heater that I can use to bring up the temperature but it can't be left on perminant as it has no thermostat and my wife panics that it will set on fire.

Anyway we're here and it's a lovely site (y) lol

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I had an issue on my 4E and took it directly to Truma. They swapped the whole heater over. I recommend giving them a call

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Just on a site near Calais before heading back tomorrow. We cancelled our last night of the holiday tomorrow in Cambridge to come home direct due the heating issues.

I decided to try turning it one one last time before setting up for bed just now with the portable fan heater and IT WORKED!

I am actually more annoyed it worked as I still have to take it in to be looked at again and would have preferred a 100% fail fault not some intermittent issue that could be missed.

I must have tried it 150 times off and on this holiday and trouble shot everything possible with not one success. Now on the last try it works! Grrrrrr

Anyway for sure it will fail in the night again when it tries to click in again?!!
I had wondered if it was a lose wire from the last repair and the drive knocked it back into place but then I remembered I tried it when we arrived here also with no success so I am stumped. Just hope they can find a proper fault next week when I drop it off.

This heater really is spoiling the van and our motorhome'ing experience so far.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How old is your van, if more than a couple of years have you had the update done on the controller?
I fitted a CP plus controller to my last van and it kept failing with random errors, often failed when the timer was set, often with an error code that meant 12v supply fault. Sent it back to Truma for software update afterwards never went wrong again.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
well I say odd one. I found it in the online PDF code decoder and thought O that's not good. But zero posts by anyone else saying they had the fault in google search.

I was running on elec only and a quick off and on it worked fine the rest of the night.

What I did spit though was I had accidentally blocked one of the air ducts with a plastic container. I am thinking/hoping I just caused it to have a shit fit with backed up hot air pressure.

This was the code at 3am

View attachment 155427

As I say moving the blockage and turning it off and on it ran fine. Hopefully just some user error?
I had a similar error code, but I just switched it on and off today and all was well.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
How old is your van, if more than a couple of years have you had the update done on the controller?
I fitted a CP plus controller to my last van and it kept failing with random errors, often failed when the timer was set, often with an error code that meant 12v supply fault. Sent it back to Truma for software update afterwards never went wrong again.

The van is a 2015 August reg so only 18 months, I guess that could put the Truma build date around 2 years now but it's had little use, the motorhome was bought new in Hull for an owner in Glasgow then we bought it from Nottingham with only 1800 miles on it and the plastics still covering the beds and carpets. He must have used it for only a couple of weekends with those miles and this is only our 3rd trip not counting a few test nights local and me using it for work twice.

I get the feeling it's a Friday afternoon built heater.

It held up perfect last night. I think it was on all night so not sure if it tripped in and out at required temperature. Going to turn it down before we leave to try and trick it clicking back in again as a last test but it has to go back to the dealers or Truma, can't use the van in confidence like this.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Could be in the time frame for needing the update. Mine kept failing when on timer, I've never run heating overnight so don't know if it would of failed then.
If the hot water setting has 40 & 60 deg. setting I would look at getting it checked for the update, later ones have Eco & 60 for hot water.
The software fault is more of a problem with longer cable runs from the controller to the heater.
There is a way of getting it to display the software version but I found it said the same before & after the update so not a lot of help.
Any Truma service centre should be able to do the update or you can send it back to Truma which is what I did.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Back home.

Tested it a load more times and fires up flawlessly on gas and electric both battery and EHU! :mad:

I really hope it's just a case of a lose wire that they forgot to clip in or something from the last repair when I take it in to have it looked at as my missis won't go away again now until it's 100% sorted so they HAVE to find a fault or I have a £40k paperweight sat on the driveway.

Lenny it is the older software with 40 & 60 deg
As for the distance the cables are run I am not sure. The controller is only 6ft from the unit but that's not to say the cables don't go the long way round the van first.

Roll on Monday and phone calls (again)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I would get the software checked & updated as there is a good chance it will solve your problems. Truma tend to keep quiet about it and you have to be firm with them.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
UPDATE!!!!!

Just been to Truma in Derby to have it looked at and the first thing spotted by the engineer was that in my 2015 Motorhome is a 2008 year Truma Combi Boiler (n)

Add on that the label on the side says It's a Combi 6 unit but the PCB is a Combi 4!

So basicly it looks like someone has stolen the boiler before either delivering it to me or selling it to the dealer.

I recon the first owner in a bid to make back some cash from the loss of having it for less than a year has sold the new boiler to a mate in exchange for what is now a 9 year old boiler.

Truma phoned my dealer for me as there obviously not going to fix or replace one that old and the path is that I am expecting my dealer to stump up to replace my unit for what I was sold.

Unfortunately the MD was not in so they are going to call me tomorrow once he's been involved to discuss the plan. Obviously only one course of action will suit me as I want what I was sold. Just a case of do Truma supply and fit it or supply it to my dealer to fit. Either is fine but I prefer Truma to do it been as they know what they are looking at after the dealer failed to spot someone swapped out the units.

What a pain in the ass this has all been. At least now I know why it's been a usless unit. Truma say the parts in the van should not work at all! It's like a jumble sale of parts.

Watch this space

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to hear your heater problems.
It seems an extreme way for the first owner to recover some losses though.
Was there any way to ascertain for certain if it had been swopped or if it came like that from factory ?

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry to hear your heater problems.
It seems an extreme way for the first owner to recover some losses though.
Was there any way to ascertain for certain if it had been swopped or if it came like that from factory ?
I called the factory and it had a 2013 model C6 unit fitted. So yea it's 100% been swapped at some point for a real mix match of stuff.

Not to mention that Truma say the current set up should not work!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
have you checked the history of the van maybe get in touch with the previous owners? i would be worried its been changed due to damage maybe the van was flooded at some time?

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
All done.

The Dealer asked me to return the van to them so they can swap it for one the same age or newer that that van.
I left it with them for a few days while I was away with work and returned to it all done. Fitted a 2015 unit along with fixing another snag I had and washed the van off aswell ready to rock for this weekend where we are now enjoying a fully working heater at the Chatsworth Horse Trials :)

The dealer have been great with me on all niggles since we bought it which is great. There always gonna have niggles so it's nice to have not had to fight for stuff to be sorted.

My only thought is who's getting a 2008 boiler in a 2015/16 van next from my dealer ;-) it's got to go somewhere lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back