Travel with water tank full or empty? (1 Viewer)

MandM

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
Inland Waterways
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2015
We have a couple of 10 litre water bottles that we use when travelling. Leaving the on board fresh water tank empty between stops. While in France we were advised by a fellow UK MH driver that he travels with the tank full for better stability. We also watched a large Concord owner (German) fill his two huge water tanks before departing....

Now this did not seem a sensible option to me. Less weight seemed to be the way to go especially as it might compromise the vehicle weight limit.

Thoughts please?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
85 gallons!!! That's a lot!

Truly it is, however, by some RV standards only modest.

You have loads of payload Sooperdooperwinabagelmike in your Winabagel RV so no problem I guess :p

Loads and loads of payload LarryHarryTypeChappy. How's the crepe and posh coffee business going. :)

Upvote 0

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
always full ,as @SuperMike says 85 galls is a weeks worth.
empty waste and black tanks.,as and when you can. but takes a lot to fill them, both 50 gall tanks(y)(y)
so still room for wine and beer,lol

Upvote 0

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We travel full and on our last trip a 100 litres lasted us for the full 6 days we were away including wilding
So much easier as it turned out as the taps on the farm site we later stayed at were nowhere near the pitch. I felt sorry for the neighbouring motorhomers whom were going back and forth with a 2 litre bottle to top up their tank.

Upvote 0

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
just like the 'do you, dont you' views on carrying water can polarise opinion, the actual usage levels of campers vary significantly, too.

we were on a site for five nights and filled on arrival (110 litres plus 10 for boiler) and this lasted us the whole stay despite using the van for showering each day alog with cooking and washing up, tea/coffee etc...

our pals next door seemed to be topping up constantly, despite using the site showers!

i mentioned this level of usage on another forum and, for some caravanners, this seemed to attract disbelief, some (couples, not a large family) even citing two aquarolls a day (80 ltr approx).....four times our usage.....

we have a meter at home and respect the supply (rather than the actual cost) but i dont like to see the waste of any resourse.....

from the earlier post, 20ish ltr a day is not unusual....is it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We try and always be full on site and if we were staying for a while would do a few trips each day with the watering can to keep it topped. Certainly we wouldn't want to go below 50%. We don't skimp on water usage when it's free and available. We would use site showers if they were very nice otherwise we'll use our own which is great.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
3 x 10 litre watering cans full, then top up as required or when available.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our usage of water is minimal except for one thing ... cups of tea! I can get through a lot of those in a day! Our usage is probably around 15L a day - we don't have daily showers just our morning wash so say 1L, cooking and washing-up 9L max (depending on what we're cooking!), then of course my numerous cuppas (probably 4L max for us both a day) and other things such as toilet flushing, water for the dogs etc making up the rest. When we had a 66L fresh water tank it was a case of always topping up when we could just to be safe as we like to go to out of the way places to 'wild park' so not always in places with aires etc, now we have a 100L tank it's not so much of a problem thankfully so we won't have to keep lugging full water carriers around with us too for when we intend to have a shower or wash hair!

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Always full and we use loads both shower morning and evening tea coffee washing up etc.

Some smelly buggers on here I reckon defiantly best to park up wind of a few.:):)
Good job you aren't soluble. Us clean campers shower every couple of days (y).
We're in the full-tank-when-travelling camp. 140 litre tank lasts 4 - 5 days. I carry an Aquaroll for fill-ups if the tap is out of reach or if I don't want to move the van.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Ford Coach built
Exp
3 years and counting
Be interesting to know how many that travel full have a 3500kg van as 100lt of water is as you know 100kg which eats a huge amount of payload and could well take it over the gvw.

We thought the same until we went away with a full water tank (100Lt = 100Kg) and stopped on a weighbridge enroute to check. Found that back axle was weighing in at 2100 Kg which is 100 Kg over for the design of van and 50 Kg over on each tyre. We weren't really carrying that much either, 2 people, 1 dog plus enough for 4 days of planned wild camping. So now to keep within 3500 Kg, we travel with both tanks empty. Not happy to push the design limits of axle/tyres being fairly new to MHoming.

Upvote 0

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
Good job you aren't soluble. Us clean campers shower every couple of days (y).
We're in the full-tank-when-travelling camp. 140 litre tank lasts 4 - 5 days. I carry an Aquaroll for fill-ups if the tap is out of reach or if I don't want to move the van.
i added an second long hose (along with my original hose) which, when joined together, allows me to reach pretty much most taps....and takes up minimal space....
i do have 10 ltr container and a filler for the tank for the occasions i have to stroll to a tap....but i cant be doing with an aquaroll (takes up too much space and reminds me of a caravan....) or the kit to pump water into the van (reminds me of a caravan...)....

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
In my book of words it says not to run around with a full tank & part of the reasons being the tank is quite high up under the bench seat. I have done it once for wilding and I could feel a slight wallow! A bad half to quarter is my usual if I suspect no water supply.

Upvote 0

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
I'm surprised that two other points haven't been raised. If you travel empty then park up at home empty the wet surface is ideal to grow bacteria. My tank is near the middle of the van, but a half full tank in an off centre tank may cause instability as the water surges, (both full or empty removes that risk). I tend to travel full but don't refill at home as its impracticable so I'm the one filling up at the campsite prior to my return home.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
i added an second long hose (along with my original hose) which, when joined together, allows me to reach pretty much most taps....and takes up minimal space....
i do have 10 ltr container and a filler for the tank for the occasions i have to stroll to a tap....but i cant be doing with an aquaroll (takes up too much space and reminds me of a caravan....) or the kit to pump water into the van (reminds me of a caravan...)....
My Aquaroll has never seen the inside of the van: it either travels in the Smartie on the trailer, or, if no trailer, on a modified towball mounted bike carrier. I do have the pump though - I simply fitted a caravan-style (water + 12v feed) water inlet next to the original.

Upvote 0

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I still don't really get the need to travel with loads of water, unless your a fire engine on your way to a fire :LOL:. In 5 years only once have we been stuck with no water on an aire in the middle of nowhere in Winter. We seem to have survived the ordeal ;).

Upvote 0

EZGee

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Hymer
Exp
After travelling around Europe we have learned to always travel with a full water tank plus any containers you have and always an empty toilet whenever possible as you never know if there's water or a disposal at the next stop. We never put paper in the loo ( as in Greece) and go on average 5 days before we need to find a loo point. We find places with a wonderful view for free and not a view of a toilet block or worse for 20 euros .

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I still don't really get the need to travel with loads of water, unless your a fire engine on your way to a fire :LOL:. In 5 years only once have we been stuck with no water on an aire in the middle of nowhere in Winter. We seem to have survived the ordeal ;).
It's not a do or die need. It just means you don't have to worry if the next place has water (you'd want) or not. Or if the weathers poor you don't have to worry about filling up. It makes no difference to the vans handling and little difference to the weight so why leave it empty.
On the other hand who cares if you don't want much water. It's a choice thing :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... We never put paper in the loo ( as in Greece) and go on average 5 days before we need to find a loo point.
Wow, you've got some strong bladders there!!! Respect!!! :D

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
i mentioned this level of usage on another forum and, for some caravanners, this seemed to attract disbelief, some (couples, not a large family) even citing two aquarolls a day (80 ltr approx).....four times our usage.....

from the earlier post, 20ish ltr a day is not unusual....is it?

No like @Minxy Girl , I probably use less than that & I always shower daily.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
When traveling in the UK then half a tank of fresh water just in case it is raining when we arrive on site. (has been known on several occasions!!). In France and Spain then with a full tank.
However, when we leave home we do have 22 lts of fresh filtered water in separate containers for making the all important cups of tea. Water quality on site sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Be interesting to know how many that travel full have a 3500kg van as 100lt of water is as you know 100kg which eats a huge amount of payload and could well take it over the gvw.

My current issue, which I am attempting to "cure" by getting my C1 back, over 70, and upgrading to 3,850kg. Which should also reduce my "Road Tax" too!.

Pete

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back