Travel to Spain and Portugal for 6 months (1 Viewer)

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Being someone that lives in Spain and rents an apartment out for holiday rental, the people that spend money are here for a week or two, working people when times precious normally with a young family 🙂 they are on holiday they spend money. 😁

Being a motorhomer since 2007 I can tell you that most motorhomers are a different breed, the ones that come long stay do not pay the premium prices for campsites in summer months, eat and drink out every day in restaurants when prices are high and so on. 😉

If you feel winter discount campsites, cheap motorhome stops or free camping along with menu del dia and euro bars is spending money, 🙂 I'm afraid your wrong. 😁
A lot of bars and restaurants don't even bother opening in the quite times, just like holiday rental is it really worth renting out in winter for €600 a month, when you can get more than that a week in low period. 🙄

When we stay here in summer we have to go somewhere cheaper, no way would we spend a fortune stopping on the coast in campsites or camperstops, you need more than a flexible friend to eat out without heading in land. 😁 Bob.
To be honest I’m not sure why you quoted my post, nothing you said really addresses anything I said.😂
But I still stand by the fact that the money we spend in a year in France and Spain probably amounts to keeping someone in a full time job.👌

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Haha, you should work for a government agency with your back of a fag packet, wildly inaccurate guesstimate .
You unfortunately need a reality check. There are more french , dutch and German motorhomes desperate to take the space the brits now leave. And they aren't restricted. This argument about brits in Spain is as completely misguided as the one about german car manufacturers bending over to help over brexit.

Its that British exceptionilism again
Sadly proven to be worthless

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Whatever the effect on a national level will be, on a local level Brexit must have some effect, if Brits who previously spent five or even six months in Spain/Portugal can now only do three then there must be some effect to the local economy, remember it is in their low season, perhaps some of that business will be taken up by people from other EU countries but not all of it will be. From my own experience, my sister and her husband had a small hotel in a ski resort, it was full throughout the ski season but once it was over there was a period when there were so few bookings that it was not worth opening until summer comes along and you get some walkers and climbers staying, over the course of a year they were lucky to break even and the hotel is now a block of flats. For some of these local businesses in Spain/Portugal there will be a fine line between profit and loss and it would be in their interest if their Governments developed a visa solution that would facilitate non working third country nationals to stay for longer periods providing they have appropriate medical insurance and the means to maintain themselves. Just my opinion.
Recent events like Portugal stopping wildcamping and the Alicante region in Spain doing the same despite a few places in these areas having literally hundreds of motorhomes there over winter that had to contribute to the ecomomy somehow yet they still did it kind of shows it doesnt register high on their priorities. Anyone thats been to cullera over winter time will have seen what that was like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back