Travel to Spain and Portugal for 6 months (1 Viewer)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Blast, ive just waisted £90 getting Irish passport. Had I known about this

I would piggy back good ladies EU passport.

Thinking again good job I have got it, she could clear off any time and i would have to go with her.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I’m so glad i have this :drink: 🇮🇪
image.jpg

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Blast, ive just waisted £90 getting Irish passport. Had I known about this

I would piggy back good ladies EU passport.

Thinking again good job I have got it, she could clear off any time and i would have to go with her.
I know! Before this announcement, Elaine was looking at the process to get me a 6 months visa for France, and said she would 'employ' me as her chauffeur & gardener to meet the employment criterion! Until that point, I thought 'Indenture' related to false teeth ... :unsure: :LOL:

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I was born in Stourbridge, and being Black Country, rather than a Brummie, I had the sense to marry a Scot who is half Irish [except when Sunday follows Friday, in which case it's Leap Year ...]. Damn; got my tongue wedged firmly in my teeth now ... :LOL: :rolleyes:

Steve
Can you still call it The Black Country ? BUSBY🤣🤣

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Can you still call it The Black Country ? BUSBY🤣🤣
Can't reply to this without falling foul of the PC vocabulary and terminology! I hate this need to reword history, not least because it enables those with an ulterior motive to airbrush the past. A rare serious reply from me; now need to exit Stage Left and prepare for a return to puerile japes and responses ... (y)

Steve

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Can't reply to this without falling foul of the PC vocabulary and terminology! I hate this need to reword history, not least because it enables those with an ulterior motive to airbrush the past. A rare serious reply from me; now need to exit Stage Left and prepare for a return to puerile japes and responses ... (y)

Steve
it wasnt the black country untill the 17th century so its been not the black country for more years than it has

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
It was very confusing Sedge says, when she was little, in West Bromwich in Staffordshire where the buses were lighter blue and cream going out to Clent for a walk, cos they had to go down to Oldbury (where her dad's sister and family lived) in Worcestershire to get on a Midland Red bus to go to either Stourbridge or via Halesowen to Clent whereas if it should be decided the Lickeys were the walk destination you had to go to Birmingham where the buses were dark navy and cream. If you decided to go to Wolverhampton - also in Staffs - that involved catching a pale green trolley bus.

She could understand Shrewsbury where her auntie and uncle lived having an utterly different bus livery cos you had to catch trains to go there, same as you did to Coventry with their maroon ones.

It was only called the Black Country because the air was so filthy from all the heavy industry - drop forgers making eg man'ole covers, Eliza Tinsley's down Cradley where they made the 'ommer 'eads; etc etc.

Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
Good afternoon,
Having spoken to many like minded motorhomers over the years, now we have retired, we are wanting to travel to Spain and Portugal for 6 months from September for the winter period.
I do not understand the new rules since we removed ourselves from the EU.
Is there a way round this.
How can we simply do this.
Firstly, I’ve not yet worked out how to post without quoting😂
Like many others I have looked into this and the only way seems to be to apply for a visa.
Morocco is a wonderful, safe country to visit and very welcoming. You do need to get used to bartering for everything though, which I didn’t mind.
Having just renewed my insurance with Comfort means I cannot get a green card for Morocco.
Any recommendations for single trip cover out there?
Interestingly, it is mentioned elsewhere on Fun the possibility of a direct ferry route to Morocco.
There are non-schengen EU countries (Romania, Bulgaria and Croatia) all of which I have toured and enjoyed. However the climate would not be as favourable during the coldest winter months.
The other option I have considered is flying to a non-EU country for part of the winter.
Unfortunately, no simple answer 😢

OP
OP
PMB

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
It was very confusing Sedge says, when she was little, in West Bromwich in Staffordshire where the buses were lighter blue and cream going out to Clent for a walk, cos they had to go down to Oldbury (where her dad's sister and family lived) in Worcestershire to get on a Midland Red bus to go to either Stourbridge or via Halesowen to Clent whereas if it should be decided the Lickeys were the walk destination you had to go to Birmingham where the buses were dark navy and cream. If you decided to go to Wolverhampton - also in Staffs - that involved catching a pale green trolley bus.

She could understand Shrewsbury where her auntie and uncle lived having an utterly different bus livery cos you had to catch trains to go there, same as you did to Coventry with their maroon ones.

It was only called the Black Country because the air was so filthy from all the heavy industry - drop forgers making eg man'ole covers, Eliza Tinsley's down Cradley where they made the 'ommer 'eads; etc etc.
Very informative information regarding 180 days in Spain and Portugal many thanks 😊

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Try and explain to our Spanish neighbours that you poor souls in the UK cannot come to Spain for 6 months anymore, and are restricted to only three months...they would fall about laughing.....no problem they would say....the Germans, French, Dutch and Scandinavian visitors can still come....most of them have loads of Euros to spend....
They can laugh all they want , it’s still a dent in the Spanish economy.
People will soon find other places to spend their money.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
They can laugh all they want , it’s still a dent in the Spanish economy.
People will soon find other places to spend their money.

Last May I suggested some figures, showing that restricting motorhomers to 90 days MIGHT reduce Spain's economy by €30M pa (compared to their GDP of €95 000 000M). [ie 0.000032%]
Those figures RELY on 10 000Brits EACH spending €100 per day.

I don't know 10 000 British motorhomers who spend 90 days in Spain, let alone more than 90 days.
I don't know any British motorhomers who spend €100 per day in Spain, every day for 4 months.

So please get realistic: the size of the dent is minuscule based on my figures.
If someone can offer more accurate figures then please supply them so that we can see how important we are.

Gordon
Lets imagine that 10 000 Brit MHs normally go to Spain for the winter and spend €100 per day [is this stretching the imagination?]. That amounts to €1M per day.

Say they normally stay for 4 months = 120 days.
WHEN restricted to 90 days, Spain loses €30M.
In 2019 Spain's GDP was approx $1.4trillion. [approx €95 000 000M]

WHO thinks that amount will be significant, even given the loss to the economy caused by Covid-19?
For those who do, will it be sufficiently significant to go against every other Schengen country (except perhaps Portugal) and allow Brits to stay longer than every other third-country resident?

Reality needs to make an appearance at some point! :rolleyes:

Gordon

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I have a hazy recollection of there being 25,000 m/homers + caravaners spending Winter in Spain, but I don't remember any spending figures being mentioned.
Donald Tusk issued an early communication in 2016 saying that both the UK & the EU economies would suffer went ahead, and that was obviously before COVID surfaced.
EU has allocated a special budget to support economies that will be hurt by Brexit and there may be manoeuvres to allow Spain, Portugal et al to respond differently from the EU policy on the basis that the individual nation domestic economy is a matter for the Government of the individual Member State to manage.
In other news, EU COVID infections [mainly from new variants] are rising alarmingly as the sluggish EU vaccination programme struggles along. Italy, Germany, France, Poland Czech Republic & Hungary are reporting surges and individual countries are imposing/reinforcing lockdowns and curfews [Paris reports 1 admission to ICU every 12 minutes], so tourism is probably not centre stage just now.

'Economies can recover; for dead people, it is more difficult'

Steve

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
What happens if you use 90 days before going to Morocco and then decide to come back early?
I would suggest only using 80 days on the way out!

Gordon

That would be a foolhardy strategy. Your solution is sensible but I would take it a step further and minimise the number of days in the Schengen region prior to entry into Morocco, i.e. make Morocco the primary destination. That way, you have virtually no restriction on when you leave Morocco/re-enter Schengen.

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We could maybe lobby the EU for a Motorhome Tourist Visa. Not as silly as it sounds. However, the uptake of motorhome ownership all over europe will mean the sites in Southern Europe will be busier than ever, I doubt they'll miss us Brits too much, so why would they bother.

OP
OP
PMB

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Ah... quite new hey?

There's no rule saying a post has to be helpful! :rofl:

JJ :cool:
I am new to this yes, i did not expect the amount of sarcasm from the likes of you. I am looking for genuine help here not comments that i would expect from a 5 year old.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Last May I suggested some figures, showing that restricting motorhomers to 90 days MIGHT reduce Spain's economy by €30M pa (compared to their GDP of €95 000 000M). [ie 0.000032%]
Those figures RELY on 10 000Brits EACH spending €100 per day.

I don't know 10 000 British motorhomers who spend 90 days in Spain, let alone more than 90 days.
I don't know any British motorhomers who spend €100 per day in Spain, every day for 4 months.

So please get realistic: the size of the dent is minuscule based on my figures.
If someone can offer more accurate figures then please supply them so that we can see how important we are.

Gordon
Lets imagine that 10 000 Brit MHs normally go to Spain for the winter and spend €100 per day [is this stretching the imagination?]. That amounts to €1M per day.

Say they normally stay for 4 months = 120 days.
WHEN restricted to 90 days, Spain loses €30M.
In 2019 Spain's GDP was approx $1.4trillion. [approx €95 000 000M]

WHO thinks that amount will be significant, even given the loss to the economy caused by Covid-19?
For those who do, will it be sufficiently significant to go against every other Schengen country (except perhaps Portugal) and allow Brits to stay longer than every other third-country resident?

Reality needs to make an appearance at some point! :rolleyes:

Gordon
Think many bar and restaurant owners say in Benidorm will notice a huge difference when the snowbirds go elsewhere..Most of the bars opposite Raco rely solely on campers for their trade in winter.Same in many other resorts throughout Spain,,Not a giant amount for Spain but a large drop in profits for bar and campsite owners..BUSBY.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ah... quite new hey?

There's no rule saying a post has to be helpful! :rofl:

Folk make their beds and then have to lie in them...​

...after reaping what they have sown.

:whistle2:

And you've been here long enough to know there are rules about being smart arse. 😀It was a genuine question that didn't need your injection of remainer/leaver/referendum rubbish. Please desist. Thanks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I am new to this yes, i did not expect the amount of sarcasm from the likes of you. I am looking for genuine help here not comments that i would expect from a 5 year old.
And you've been here long enough to know there are rules about being smart arse. 😀 It was a genuine question that didn't need your injection of remainer/leaver/referendum bollox. Please desist. Thanks
Who are you both replying to as without quotes the rest of us have no idea what is going on?:(

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Only the places where the Northern europeans ,usually majority British ,are. Elsewhere they shut down like the always have done & reopen after Easter or sometimes only for july/August.
Of course,,but that's hell of a lot of small business owners,,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back