Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Hi. Just wondering what you all do for travel insurance. We are going away to Portugal for 3 months in January and our present insurer has turned us down for this length of time away on an annual cover policy. Anyone know of a good insurer for annual cover, with a maximum of 90 days away at one time, hubby aged 66 and with pre existing medical condition - ie diabetes. Enquiries so far have said he will have to get single trip insurance each time we go away - we go away for 2 months in the summer too. Ok for me, i'm a spring chicken still ....
Thank you - advise would be great! Caroline

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Staysure are popular and cover a lot of pre-conditions.. Watch them on renewal and they always seem to hike the price.
We are currently with LV and have a 120day extension..

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I have travel ins with Lloyds bank with my bank account and gives free travel insurance up to 30 days I think but I upgraded mine to extend to 6 months at a time and this is a whole years worldwide travel insurance so can go away in any one year up to 6 months at a time, and this cost me £180, tried LV as recommended but they do not cover over 65 years of age for long periods at a time, Good luck with your search.
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Have used Staysure (with medical conditions declared) previously for a one off trip, but this year have bought an annual policy through Insure and Go for not a great deal more than I paid for a single trip. They appear to be a better company if you check through Defaqto, plus any one trip can be up to 90 days.

OP
OP
F

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Many thanks for your advise - i will try LV and Insure to Go. We were with Staysure last yesr, but now the old man has turned 66 they will not cover for more than 31 days out of the country at any one time. Bit of a nightmare! What if...... we relied on EHIC? Would this not cover us for medical issues, though we would have to sort repatriation? Portugal is only across the pond after all! Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Caroline

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi , have used the post office for travel insurance and found them to be ok.. had to make a claim once for medical care in America which was pricy...a few thousand:( but they paid in the end..:)
just gone through the c&cc club for a 2 month trip to spain and Portugal but as you said they were all single trip cover. not ever had year round but might look into that.
ta andy

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
66 seems to be the age where a lot of Insurers start back pedalling on cover. It might be prudent to check with Saga or Age Concern to see if they can offer you anything.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have used the Camping & Caravan Club this time as we are out of the UK for more than 90 days ,
Quotes from other companies were as high as£800
We were with American Express £240 for 90 days

C&CC were £102 each plus £240 for me because im over 60 and have a stent ..
BUT that is for a 6 months single trip ...

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Interesting article in Sunday Times yesterday about 'ageism' in travel insurance. Unfortunately I can't make a link to it as you need to be a subscriber. However, ex-coppers get a good deal from NARCO. Columbus Direct are also recommended for folk up to 85 days (single trip) or for annual policies for those up to 75.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Its just another example of rip off Britain, another way of extracting money out of people for any ailment under the sun.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The goverment health secretary says more people over 50 should be on Statins to increase age expectations and to reduce the NHS cost in the future for Heart related illness ,

Soon as a Doctor puts you on Statins you Travell insurance doubles ,

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have just been released from IMED Levante private hospital where I have been relaxing in my private suite complete with verandah since Wednesday last. As some will know I am unable to get private health cover, so have to rely on the EHIC card. I was taken ill a couple of weeks ago with suspected gastroenteritis and went to the local Spanish clinic where they treated me and sent me home, telling me if I was no better in a couple of days to go back. I unfortunately deteriorated and went back on Wednesday last, the doctor immediately referred me to the hospital, but as this was some way away I chose the private hospital across the road. I have free health insurance with my bank, but not for existing illnesses, so took a chance and went private. Phoned the insurance and told them what the problem was and they said as long as it was nothing to do with my existing illnesses I would be covered. Having just checked on the cost of private hospital treatment including CAT scans Xrays etc am very grateful I do not have to take a mortgage out at my time of life or phone JJ for a sub on his lawnmower. The treatment I received was second to none and only wish I could get health insurance, as am sure they could repair all the broken bits for a price.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well frankly Caroline - we are now relying on EHIC. My medical conditions have not changed one jot from what they were previously - no doses of medication changed - NOTHING! but Lloyd's Bank - insured by AXA - wanted a £600 AP to cover ny pre-existing this year. So I told em to stick it, and have now changed the payment details to our newer Santander account so no money will be going into the Lloyd's account from the end of this month. I had only left about £90 a month going in from one of my pensions anyway, and for our Platinum account £25 of that was going on Bank Charges.

Once that's done I'll shop round, but have to say most others either don't want to insure me at all, will do it but exclude my pre-existing, or limit trips to 60 days so I haven't yet found one that covers what I want to cover.

Oh - and I'm still 64 too, so it isn't that !

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just renewed with Staysure, very helpful young lady answered after all my questions, Morocco, 100 days cover , multi-trip etc. When it got to age (turned 65 few months ago) thought we were going to have a snag over length of time away but as we're going to be back well before 66th birthday, no problem she said. But I sensed that it's going to be different next year.........:unsure:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We used Insure and Go this time you tell them how long you want we asked for 110 days they quoted with medical screening £132.
The policy was the Backpacker bronze.:xThumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In the unlikely event of Snowbird's Bank Insurance not paying up, I wish to announce that I will be organising a collection to help him out.

If you wish to make a head start just post on Fun that you will be donating.

Don't worry how much or how little you can manage to give... just fold it up and post it to the address below.

JJ.

Friend Of Benidorm Dave and His Royal Highness Smudger, King of the Algarve,

The Classic Hymer 660S,

Portugal.

JJ :cool:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In the unlikely event of Snowbird's Bank Insurance not paying up, I wish to announce that I will be organising a collection to help him out.

If you wish to make a head start just post on Fun that you will be donating.

Don't worry how much or how little you can manage to give... just fold it up and post it to the address below.

JJ.

Friend Of Benidorm Dave and His Royal Highness Smudger, King of the Algarve,

The Classic Hymer 660S,

Portugal.

JJ :cool:

Am impressed JJ. Any donations will be gladly received as I need all the help I can get just in case I am able to afford an occasional beer after am fully recuperated.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just renewed with Staysure, very helpful young lady answered after all my questions, Morocco, 100 days cover , multi-trip etc. When it got to age (turned 65 few months ago) thought we were going to have a snag over length of time away but as we're going to be back well before 66th birthday, no problem she said. But I sensed that it's going to be different next year.........:unsure:

And it is!
They won't do an annual policy for more than 35 days as I'm now 66, they'll only do 90 days on a single trip policy, which works out 80% dearer than last years annual. The nice lady did her best to try and resolve it, suggesting an annual for Bren in her own right and a single trip policy for me. But as we are planning another longish trip in the summer it doesn't help. So I'm now having a hunt around. So far, single trip insurance for each trip looks like the way I'm going to have to go.

Meanwhile I would appreciate comments/suggestions from anyone who has resolved this problem recently.

Passing 65 has a lot of pluses - but there are minuses too!

Terry

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
I am 66 and my wife is somewhat younger and we required 90 days cover while we winter in Portugal. The cheapest by a mile was http://www.annualtravelinsurance.com which came out at £118.00 for both of us on a single trip basis. We had quotes from the Caravan Club for over £400.00 for the same cover, so buyer beware.

The Tincas

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
We are in the middle of preparing for a 2/3 month trip (1st ever - we must be mad!) in March post my retirement and I have been reorganising our bank accounts and now have one with Nationwide which I have been told they will extend the travel Insurance from 31 days to 90 for a one off payment. Haven't got the cost yet, but when asking about increasing it to 60 days they were talking £40 to £50 which I was happy with. Only interested in medical issues in the last year and I think they cover you to 75. Plus you get European breakdown cover up for vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes and 8 metres in length plus some other goodies all for £10.00/month. Might be worth investigating.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I have had a couple of quotes recently from Staysure and on both occasions, I have had an email from them within 48 hours offering 10% off the quote they gave.
:)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Try 'Just Travel Insurance' I have found the variation between insurance companies to be unbelievable! On a comparison web site I tried gave me several quotes from different companies and the cover ranged from £150 T0 £5000, 600.
I spent a fair bit of time calling companies and getting quotes and looking at the terms and conditions of offers and it's a sodding mine field. As I have pre-existing conditions (nothing serious) I found the best way I.M.O. was to use comparison websites to start with then select the appropriate company and go onto their own website and do another quote. I was surprised to find one offer on a comparison website was £150 and £450 on the firms own website. Normally I only rely on the EHC when in Europe but take the additional cover when including Morocco. What I found is, that many companies use the same Medical agency to process you in a medical emergency and it struck me for medical cover it made sense to get the cheapest policy. After selecting the policy/company I rang them and asked them to strip everything out of the policy other than medical cover which resulted in 4 months cover for Europe & Morocco for around £250 including the wife and my pre-existing conditions.
The quote was actually £170. and valid for 15 days but the sod's increased it by £80 because I had a birthday during the 15th Day period. Tried to argue my case but they were adamant.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've now spent a couple of hours trawling the travel insurance sites and they are indeed a minefield. Each and every one excluded anyone over 65 for more than 31 days for an annual policy, except one - goPanda Travel Insurance. They offered unlimited 90 day trips for anyone up to 70, even with pre-existing medical conditions, although that loads the premium quite a bit, even for something very minor. It's not cheap - £308 - but still worked out less than single-trip policies to cover our planned travelling year. Now going through the policy with a fine tooth comb looking for the catch!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As this is an old thread things have moved on a little. I took the Nationwide upgrade to flexplus and went into my local branch last year to talk to them re, travel insurance. They rang the assessor whilst I was in the office who asked about my existing ailments. I was pleasantly surprised to be quoted £240 per annum for worldwide cover for trips of up to 90 days. So duly booked flights home well in advance at low cost every 90 days. Booked all my hospital apps for when I fly home for a few days every 3 months. Next trip home is Feb for 4 days with good old Ryanair £35 return. In my wildest dreams I never considered they would give me travel insurance with bits falling off all over the place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back