Transiting france (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Do any funsters plan to transit france in the very near future?, or does anyone know if transiting is allowed?
I just read that visitors from the uk will need a compelling reason, pcr tests etc to visit, and a 7 day quarantine, BUT, that will not be checked due to low rates of covid in the uk, which seems to be a softening of sorts.
We have possible plans for a visit to italy but would obviously transit through france, which i can do in a day (full day mind you).
I just wondered if anyone else is planning this, and if they would be kind enough to post reports of their experiences.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Do any funsters plan to transit france in the very near future?, or does anyone know if transiting is allowed?
I just read that visitors from the uk will need a compelling reason, pcr tests etc to visit, and a 7 day quarantine, BUT, that will not be checked due to low rates of covid in the uk, which seems to be a softening of sorts.
We have possible plans for a visit to italy but would obviously transit through france, which i can do in a day (full day mind you).
I just wondered if anyone else is planning this, and if they would be kind enough to post reports of their experiences.
Extremely interested to find the definitive answer to this.

It is a totally different question to can I enter France. I reckon I can just about make Spain and Italy (Switzerland will do atm) in a very full day's driving.

My tactics would include booking a campsite for the day after travel and having satnav set for La Jonquera or Lugano or San Sebastian or Brussels or Sas Van Gent as Aachen is currently off the table as well.

The bit I have bolded, indicates to me, that this is very much political, however, rules is rules and I would like to follow them. (I believe it was stated at the time by the minister)

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I, can't see why it wouldn't be allowed, after all you CAN go to france if you have a compelling reason and follow the rules.
560 odd miles, to italy via mt blanc tunnel, is doable in a day, thank god i have the 120litre fuel tank in my van!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I can't see anything in the updated list of compelling reasons - attached - that would allow entry to France for the purpose of transit to another EU country for non EU residents.

The current list of reasons is tighter than the one for entry prior to 31st May. I had a couple of appointments with a Notaire and Tax accountant in France, in June and this new list list doesn't that as a reason to travel. Previously I was OK to, but I decided to wait until both Mrs AB and myself were 15 days post our 2nd CV19 jabs, which would have been next weekend.

Attachments

• 2021-05-30-attestation-de-deplacement-vers-la-france-metropolitaine-version-uk.pdf
    74.3 KB · Views: 30
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
As I understand it, it is the quarantine part that wouldn't be checked.

Having a valid reason to get past border control is the issue! See my post above.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Surely, even by entering France, whether for transit or some other reason, you are subject to the test and quarantine requirements. Seems very clear to me.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We should be going 18th June through France heading to Croatia….NOT😤😤

Come to the conclusion that finding any and every loophole to go anywhere or do anything and messing about with tests etc ain’t gonna be an enjoyable 3 week holiday, so we’ve binned the idea and are off to South Wales. It will all be there next year (I hope🤞🤞)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If they allow transitting without quarantine they are taking it on trust that people will transit without mixing with people and trusting their common sense.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I can't see anything in the updated list of compelling reasons - attached - that would allow entry to France for the purpose of transit to another EU country for non EU residents.

The current list of reasons is tighter than the one for entry prior to 31st May. I had a couple of appointments with a Notaire and Tax accountant in France, in June and this new list list doesn't that as a reason to travel. Previously I was OK to, but I decided to wait until both Mrs AB and myself were 15 days post our 2nd CV19 jabs, which would have been next weekend.
I'd have thought from no 2 on that document that even if we were still in the EU you would be allowed to return from Italy (or wherever) to your main residence - but not to transit France on the way out.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Tests, yes quarantine, not sure, as you would not be in that country to complete your quarantine period, and as i read the rules, you will not be asked where you will quarantine, nor will you be checked.
So i suppose the question is, is travelling to another country a "compelling reason" to travel?
Or if quarantine is mandatory regardless of where you are travelling to, and you are obliged to stay in france for 7 days, which seems nonsensical because you won't be asked nor checked up on??
After all 9 hrs after entering france i would be in italy, hypothetically speaking.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
If they allow transitting without quarantine they are taking it on trust that people will transit without mixing with people and trusting their common sense.
Which is why i suspect Suavecarve said he would have booked a site in italy, you could show this upon entry to france maybe?

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Essential reasons for entering France:

1. French nationals, as well as their partners (married, civil partner and partner they live with) and children
  2. European Union (or EEA/Swiss) national, as well as their partner and children, who lives in France or wishes to transit through France to the country where they live
  3. A non-EU national who holds a valid French or European long-stay visa or residency permit, who has his/her main residence in France
  4. Non-EU nationals holding a long-stay visa issued via the family reunion procedure, or the family reunion of refugees procedure, or beneficiaries of subsidiary protection and stateless persons
  5. People working in the land, sea and air transport sector or transport service providers, including drivers of any vehicle carrying goods for use in the territory as well as those who are merely transiting
  6. Foreign nationals working in a diplomatic or consular post, or for an international organisation with headquarters or an office in France, as well as their partner and children
  7. People transiting in France who remain in the airport/international zone for a maximum of 24 hours
  8. Britons who benefit from the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement, ie. having evidence such as a carte de séjour, an email attestation of applying for one, or other proof of residency in France before the end of 2020. This would also include close members of their family coming to live with them
  9. Foreign health or research professionals involved in the fight against Covid-19 as well as their partner and children and foreign health or research professionals recruited as associate trainees
  10. Holders of a passeport talent visa (for skilled workers) and their partners and children
  11. Students enrolled on a 'French as a Foreign Language' course prior to enrolment in French higher education, or admitted to oral exams in French higher education institutions or registered on a French higher education course for the academic year 2021-2022. Researchers coming at the invitation of a research laboratory or institute as well as partner and children.

The above are the present rules as I understand it, transiting through for a holiday is not included especially as you are no longer an EEC resident.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
People transiting in France who remain in the airport/international zone for a maximum of 24 hours
That's true id does not mention transit through france for a holiday, but i can't find anywhere where that is forbidden either.
Line 7 People transiting in France who remain in the airport/international zone for a maximum of 24 hours.
this must include people traveling for holidays as well?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
That's true id does not mention transit through france for a holiday, but i can't find anywhere where that is forbidden either.
Line 7 People transiting in France who remain in the airport/international zone for a maximum of 24 hours.
this must include people traveling for holidays as well?
Think you are clutching at straws . These people are allowed because they are in the airport not wandering through the country .

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I travel for business into France, if you think your not going to be checked think again is my experience

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Someone said Covid rates in the UK are lower!
Interesting statement, perhaps it's due to the statistical model change!
Was 28 Days, just have a look at the latest!

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I travel for business into France, if you think your not going to be checked think again is my experience
I never said i didn't expect to be checked
This thread was started to find a definitive answer to a legitimate question not should or shouldn't, nor is it about breaking rules or bending them.
Think you are clutching at straws . These people are allowed because they are in the airport not wandering through the country .
I am not clutching at straws as you put it, just trying to clarify clearly whether you can transit or not.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We plan to enter early July then down to Spain. As of 31 May a negative antigen test taken within 48hrs of entry will be accepted, if you want to splash the cash you can also offer up a negative PCR test.
Hopefully members will post on here as they start crossing and we can get some first hand knowledge of what is required and not having to guess.

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I never said i didn't expect to be checked
This thread was started to find a definitive answer to a legitimate question not should or shouldn't, nor is it about breaking rules or bending them.

I am not clutching at straws as you put it, just trying to clarify clearly whether you can transit or not.
Not sure why you are questioning that . The list has been posted and transiting for pleasure isn’t there . I am unable to see how you think the list is not specific

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Surely the line "People transiting in France who remain in the airport/international zone for a maximum of 24 hours." is referring specifically to air passengers in transit lounges? Or am I just being thick? I do think the OP is being very optimistic indeed reading it as allowing unfettered transit through France - whether it be 1 day or several, to Italy, Spain or even just to Belgium.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
You can transit by air, provided that it is within the airport and not more than 24hrs, it does not state the reasoning for travel
You misunderstand, i am not questioning the list, merely asking a question which is not clear as to allowed or not.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Posted a few days ago by onemanand2dogs . He also said in a earlier post, a French customs official told him he was ok to transit through France in his M'home.

Just a quick update
We left Auzon at 6ish and arrived at our place in Catalonia at about 13:00 ish. I can’t be anymore specific than that because we are now on Spanish time
No stops ... no checks anywhere including the border and at tolls.
We may have been lucky but after a few extra checks at Folkestone the journey was great - fast and incident free
Back in the uk mid julyish

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back