Transiting france (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Posted a few days ago by onemanand2dogs . He also said in a earlier post, a French customs official told him he was ok to transit through France in his M'home.

Just a quick update
We left Auzon at 6ish and arrived at our place in Catalonia at about 13:00 ish. I can’t be anymore specific than that because we are now on Spanish time
No stops ... no checks anywhere including the border and at tolls.
We may have been lucky but after a few extra checks at Folkestone the journey was great - fast and incident free
Back in the uk mid julyish

the new rules come into effect today.... So what happened or was said a few days ago is irrelevant!!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Posted a few days ago by onemanand2dogs . He also said in a earlier post, a French customs official told him he was ok to transit through France in his M'home.

Just a quick update
We left Auzon at 6ish and arrived at our place in Catalonia at about 13:00 ish. I can’t be anymore specific than that because we are now on Spanish time
We may have been lucky but after a few extra checks at Folkestone the journey was great - fast and incident free
That was before 31st new direction

Oops posted already

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp

Just a quick update
If it was posted a few days ago, not sure how relevant it is to the new arrangements starting today?
Double oops - posted twice already!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
You can transit by air, provided that it is within the airport and not more than 24hrs, it does not state the reasoning for travel
You misunderstand, i am not questioning the list, merely asking a question which is not clear as to allowed or not.
If it isn’t in the list then not allowed . I really can’t understand why you seem to think it is ambiguous . But if you can point out which exception pertains to your situation then I may be able to see where you are coming from .

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
If it isn’t in the list then not allowed . I really can’t understand why you seem to think it is ambiguous . But if you can point out which exception pertains to your situation then I may be able to see where you are coming from .
I have business in northern italy, which can only be concluded in person, while i could fly in, i would prefer to combine it with a holiday, to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
I Have no intention of getting on a plane for the foreseeable future, so the only other option is to drive there, or to wait, but that could cost me a lot of money.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I have business in northern italy, which can only be concluded in person, while i could fly in, i would prefer to combine it with a holiday, to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
I Have no intention of getting on a plane for the foreseeable future, so the only other option is to drive there, or to wait, but that could cost me a lot of money.
If you are travelling on business with your company on headed paper and information as to why it is necessary to do this in person then I am sure you would be fine .

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
If you are travelling on business with your company on headed paper and information as to why it is necessary to do this in person then I am sure you would be fine .
That wouldn't be strictly true though would it, because the "business", would be concluded in say 3-4 hrs, the rest of the 30 days would be holiday, you say that's fine, but that's not on the list either, as i can see.
I also have business in northern spain, but that could wait.
Hence the original post for clarification.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
French legal system is that if it isn't specifically allowed, it's forbidden.
So you need to find a document saying your proposed journey is allowed.
Exactly. If it is specified that transit through airports is allowed , it means all the other ways of transiting aren't. Otherwise they would have put trains and buses as well. Airports keep the people in when in transit.
MITHRANDIR Have you tried to find the answer on the site of French Ambassy in London?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
That wouldn't be strictly true though would it, because the "business", would be concluded in say 3-4 hrs, the rest of the 30 days would be holiday, you say that's fine, but that's not on the list either, as i can see.
Mmm then I guess you are on a dodgy wicket

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Exactly. If it is specified that transit through airports is allowed , it means all the other ways of transiting aren't. Otherwise they would have put trains and buses as well. Airports keep the people in when in transit.
MITHRANDIR Have you tried to find the answer on the site of French Ambassy in London?
Just looking as we speak.......

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
To answer your question "Transiting France" surely if you were asked that question you would reply, "I've business to complete in Italy".

No untruth would have been told. Wether or not staying in Italy for 30 days after the business could be the sticking point is a different thing.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
To answer your question "Transiting France" surely if you were asked that question you would reply, "I've business to complete in Italy".

No untruth would have been told. Wether or not staying in Italy for 30 days after the business could be the sticking point is a different thing.
Transiting for business is not specified either....

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Transiting for business is not specified either....
Exactly. This is why i started the thread, in that i would like to know other peoples experiences, on transiting through, not trying to bend the rules or anything like that, but the situation isn't very clear.

It does not appear to be clear or up to date on the French consulates website either.....

Hopefully it won't be needed and France will open up for visitors from the uk soon.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Can an Italian, who lives in UK travel to Poland for a holiday via the tunnel in his/her motorhome?
Can the Italian travel to Italy, for a holiday via the tunnel in his/her motorhome ? (does not have any residency in that country)

Both of which require transit though France from UK

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Exactly. This is why i started the thread, in that i would like to know other peoples experiences, on transiting through, not trying to bend the rules or anything like that, but the situation isn't very clear.

It does not appear to be clear or up to date on the French consulates website either.....

Hopefully it won't be needed and France will open up for visitors from the uk soon.
Ferry to Santander, drive to Barcelona, Ferry to Genoa!!

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Can an Italian, who lives in UK travel to Poland for a holiday via the tunnel in his/her motorhome?
Can the Italian travel to Italy, for a holiday via the tunnel in his/her motorhome ? (does not have any residency in that country)

Both of which require transit though France from UK
No to both...

But an Italian, living in Italy can transit..

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
This thread is getting more ridiculous by the minute . Does a 3 hour ‘ business ‘ meeting follow by a 30 day holiday sound a valid reason ?

Had the OP given the reason above initially I guess there would have been different responses

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
This thread is getting more ridiculous by the minute . Does a 3 hour ‘ business ‘ meeting follow by a 30 day holiday sound a valid reason ?
So you are absolutely convinced that transiting through france is not allowed for any reason other than listed?
BTW, if you think it is so ridiculous, why are you commenting on it?

And, my business is my business not yours, if you read the first post it was to find clarity where non exists, and to find other peoples experiences of the same.
It appears that the consensus of opinion is that transiting is not allowed unless listed, unless you ar flying,that's the first question answered
the second question remains,

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
So you are absolutely convinced that transiting through france is not allowed for any reason other than listed?
BTW, if you think it is so ridiculous, why are you commenting on it?
Because I was trying to clarify for you but when You fractured in a tenuous 3 hour ‘ business ‘ meeting and a 30 day holiday I lost the will to live .

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just looking as we speak.......
Any better wording before I send it off ? Cheers yodeli

ecrire.londres-fslt@diplomatie.gouv.fr

Sir/Ma’am,

I am an extremely regular visitor to your country along with many other motorhomers.
I note your recent change in accepting persons from the UK without one of the varying reasons you outlined.
I hope that your country accepts us as a double jabbed couple with over 2 weeks after 2nd jab when we hope to be able to travel to Europe via the tunnel around the 20th
Should France, however, still prevent us from visiting without the 7 day quarantine then we would hope to travel to Italy via Switzerland or perhaps Spain and await our 7 days from there and then return to France, legally, as I understand it at the moment. There are many of us discussing the possibilities of this at the moment in the main motorhome forum of the UK and a definitive answer would be appreciated, accepting that rules may change in future, and perhaps, if granted, we could use your reply to show officials at Calais as we would like to do things correctly.

My question is, should I arrive at Calais, from the tunnel, having gained all the necessary PCR tests, and wanted to travel through to Belgium or Spain, and just transiting your lovely country, is this allowable under the present rules ?
Amicalement

I would have proof of a campsite booking for a week in Spain/Italy with me when i landed in france

Jon

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Sir/Ma’am,

I am an extremely regular visitor to your country along with many other motorhomers.
I note your recent change in accepting persons from the UK without one of the varying reasons you outlined.
I hope that your country accepts us as a double jabbed couple with over 2 weeks after 2nd jab when we hope to be able to travel to Europe via the tunnel around the 20th
Should France, however, still prevent us from visiting without the 7 day quarantine then we would hope to travel to Italy via Switzerland or perhaps Spain and await our 7 days from there and then return to France, legally, as I understand it at the moment. There are many of us discussing the possibilities of this at the moment in the main motorhome forum of the UK and a definitive answer would be appreciated, accepting that rules may change in future, and perhaps, if granted, we could use your reply to show officials at Calais as we would like to do things correctly.

My question is, should I arrive at Calais, from the tunnel, having gained all the necessary PCR tests, and wanted to travel through to Belgium or Spain, and just transiting your lovely country, is this allowable under the present rules ?
Amicalement

I would have proof of a campsite booking for a week in Spain/Italy with me when i landed in france

Jon
Sent

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Because I was trying to clarify for you but when You fractured in a tenuous 3 hour ‘ business ‘ meeting and a 30 day holiday I lost the will to live .
Sorry i did not know you were the resident expert on these matters, i should have asked you directly what the rules are.
Its not tenuous at all,, if you want to know the details of this business send a pm and i will tell you in detail.
Have you never combined a break with a business trip?, many have including myself.
If this situation had not occurred then i would be holidaying in france, from the 18th june, and i would have gone to Brescia to conclude my business anyway.
I don't see what's ridiculous about that, but each to their own.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Sir/Ma’am,

Amicalement

Jon

Sounds good to me. My question is , do you want me to translate it in French? I don't think it would be necessary as, for certain, French people of the Ambassy will speak better English than me , but if you want me to, I will.
At least the question is complete, and you should have the answer you're all waiting for.

OOPS .... too late lol!

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS

Sir/Ma’am,

Amicalement

Jon
You read my mind, i was just about to do the same thing, but was having difficulty finding the correct email to send my request to
Excellent idea(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suppose as long as you're traveling alone that could be a reason to travel. I can't see how anyone else travelling with you could use your business meeting as a reason for them to travel.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Yodeli, may i get your comments before i send also

Dear Sir/Madam

I note your rule changes regarding entering France on the 31st May from the UK.

I would like to ask for some clarification please regarding transiting your country by Motorhome on route to Italy.

There will be my Wife and myself, no pets, and we are both double vaccinated, we will of course have any necessary tests required upon arrival at the Eurotunnel and all other declarations that are required ready for inspection.

We have planned to do this on 19th June 2021.

My question is, we would like to ask permission to travel through France, en route to Italy, or Switzerland. This would be the shortest route possible, without stopping, we will meet or interact with no one else while in France.
We will of course comply with all current rules whilst in France.
We fully accept that the rules may change and this is a difficult and challenging time.

We will have camping reservations in Italy on the 19th June available for inspection and validation.

If this is possible, may I ask for documentary evidence to present to French border control if required please.

We are regular visitors to your beautiful country and have been for the last 30 years, we will return as soon as the French authorities deem it safe to do so.

Very Kind Regards.

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Yodeli, may i get your comments before i send also

Dear Sir/Madam

I note your rule changes regarding entering France on the 31st june.

I would like to ask for some clarification please regarding transiting your country by Motorhome on route to Italy.

There will be my Wife and myself, no pets, and we are both double vaccinated, we will of course have any necessary tests required upon arrival at the Eurotunnel and all other declarations that are required ready for inspection.

We have planned to do this on 19th june 2021.

My question is, we would like to ask permission to travel through France, on route to Italy, or Switzerland. This would be the shortest route possible, without stopping, we will meet or interact with no one else while in France.We will of course comply with all current rules whilst in france.
We fully accept that the rules may change and it is a difficult and challenging time.

We will have camping reservations in Italy on the 19th June available for inspection and validation.

If this is possible, may I ask for documentary evidence to present to French border control if required.

We are regular visitors to your beautiful country and have been for the last 30 years, we will return as soon as the French authorities deem it safe to do so.

Very Kind Regards.
31st May ***

As a pedantic person I would also capitalise the month June and the country France.
might be a nice touch to change on route to en route so it shows you are bilingual !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back