LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The email address for anyone else wishing to ask the same question as I may alter their response to suit my own needs !

And in my best Brian Conway voice "Its a joke" calm down everyone

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Yodeli, may i get your comments before i send also

Dear Sir/Madam

I note your rule changes regarding entering France on the 31st May.

I would like to ask for some clarification please regarding transiting your country by Motorhome on route to Italy.

There will be my Wife and myself, no pets, and we are both double vaccinated, we will of course have any necessary tests required upon arrival at the Eurotunnel and all other declarations that are required ready for inspection.

We have planned to do this on 19th June 2021.

My question is, we would like to ask permission to travel through France, en route to Italy, or Switzerland. This would be the shortest route possible, without stopping, we will meet or interact with no one else while in France.
We will of course comply with all current rules whilst in France.
We fully accept that the rules may change and this is a difficult and challenging time.

We will have camping reservations in Italy on the 19th June available for inspection and validation.

If this is possible, may I ask for documentary evidence to present to French border control if required please.

We are regular visitors to your beautiful country and have been for the last 30 years, we will return as soon as the French authorities deem it safe to do so.

Very Kind Regards.
Sorry, didn't see your post before. I'm in a cardiology section at the moment and smart phones are not welcome.
Sounds good too to me just the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
MITHRANDIR , suavecarve

What would you expect the British embassy to say to equivalent Frenchmen who ask the same questions, in the same polite manner, who wish to transit to Dublin via the UK without quarantining etc. even though it is against the present regulations? Would the great British public be happy to let them through because they sound 'nice'?

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
MITHRANDIR , suavecarve

What would you expect the British embassy to say to equivalent Frenchmen who ask the same questions, in the same polite manner, who wish to transit to Dublin via the UK without quarantining etc. even though it is against the present regulations? Would the great British public be happy to let them through because they sound 'nice'?
Can't do that in a day though can you, and there are plenty of people entering the uk without quarantine, without asking.
May i remind you it is our government that let in 20,000 people from india.
Obvious answer is get a ferry to dublin and cut out the uk altogether.
Irrelevant question IMV.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Yodeli, may i get your comments before i send also

Dear Sir/Madam

I note your rule changes regarding entering France on the 31st May from the UK.

I would like to ask for some clarification please regarding transiting your country by Motorhome on route to Italy.

There will be my Wife and myself, no pets, and we are both double vaccinated, we will of course have any necessary tests required upon arrival at the Eurotunnel and all other declarations that are required ready for inspection.

We have planned to do this on 19th June 2021.

My question is, we would like to ask permission to travel through France, en route to Italy, or Switzerland. This would be the shortest route possible, without stopping, we will meet or interact with no one else while in France.
We will of course comply with all current rules whilst in France.
We fully accept that the rules may change and this is a difficult and challenging time.

We will have camping reservations in Italy on the 19th June available for inspection and validation.

If this is possible, may I ask for documentary evidence to present to French border control if required please.

We are regular visitors to your beautiful country and have been for the last 30 years, we will return as soon as the French authorities deem it safe to do so.

Very Kind Regards.
Sent, i will post any answers on this thread for everyone's benefit and information.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Can't do that in a day though can you, and there are plenty of people entering the uk without quarantine, without asking.
Obvious answer is get a ferry to dublin and cut out the uk altogether.
Irrelevant question IMV.

Perhaps because it highlights your own selfishness, trying to circumvent rules put in place for everybody else's safety.

I'm sure you could get to Holyhead from any port in a day, and as for the 20000 , were they not BEFORE the new rules were put in place.. As for Italy you could easily fly...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I can't see anything in the updated list of compelling reasons - attached - that would allow entry to France for the purpose of transit to another EU country for non EU residents.
I have emailed the English ,the French & the EU to clarify whether I, as a permanent resident of another EU state , are classified as the same as a national of that state .Wich is what was sold to us at the outset.
Essential reasons for entering France:

1. French nationals, as well as their partners (married, civil partner and partner they live with) and children
  2. European Union (or EEA/Swiss) national, as well as their partner and children, who lives in France or wishes to transit through France to the country where they live
  3. A non-EU national who holds a valid French or European long-stay visa or residency permit, who has his/her main residence in France
  4. Non-EU nationals holding a long-stay visa issued via the family reunion procedure, or the family reunion of refugees procedure, or beneficiaries of subsidiary protection and stateless persons
  5. People working in the land, sea and air transport sector or transport service providers, including drivers of any vehicle carrying goods for use in the territory as well as those who are merely transiting
  6. Foreign nationals working in a diplomatic or consular post, or for an international organisation with headquarters or an office in France, as well as their partner and children
  7. People transiting in France who remain in the airport/international zone for a maximum of 24 hours
  8. Britons who benefit from the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement, ie. having evidence such as a carte de séjour, an email attestation of applying for one, or other proof of residency in France before the end of 2020. This would also include close members of their family coming to live with them
  9. Foreign health or research professionals involved in the fight against Covid-19 as well as their partner and children and foreign health or research professionals recruited as associate trainees
  10. Holders of a passeport talent visa (for skilled workers) and their partners and children
  11. Students enrolled on a 'French as a Foreign Language' course prior to enrolment in French higher education, or admitted to oral exams in French higher education institutions or registered on a French higher education course for the academic year 2021-2022. Researchers coming at the invitation of a research laboratory or institute as well as partner and children.

The above are the present rules as I understand it, transiting through for a holiday is not included especially as you are no longer an EEC resident.
True but EU ,pemanent residents shold come under no;2

Can an Italian, who lives in UK travel to Poland for a holiday via the tunnel in his/her motorhome?
According to O;2 in list above yes. An EU citizen is resident wherever they wish to be just by staing "I am a resident" .That is the definition of free movement. No one can prove where he is a resident.
Can the Italian travel to Italy, for a holiday via the tunnel in his/her motorhome ? (does not have any residency in that country)
Yes . As he is a national he doesn't need residency.The same as I can enter te Uk as & when I wish without let or hindrance ,even though I am resident in Spain due to the fact that I am a British citizen.
No to both...

But an Italian, living in Italy can transit..
Not correct .NO;2 on your list allows any EU citizen to travel into& out of France.
That isn't correct either .It was 20,000 people from India PER DAY.o_O

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Holyhead is not Dublin.
Just how is it circumventing any rules? i am asking permission on an issue that is not clear, if they say no that is fine and i will change my plans accordingly.
Flying if off the cards for more than one reason.
I am not selfish at all, i have and will continue to follow all the rules set out by our government, i can assure you i will be one of the last people who chooses not to wear a mask for example even when the rules are relaxed.
I have put off my business trip to Italy since april 2020, because of safety concerns, that's selfish is it?
As the OP, this thread is not for should/shouldn't, it is for a can/can't answer to a question that as yet does not have a clear concise answer.
You don't have to post on this thread.
And if you read the first post, i said i have POSSIBLE plans to travel to Italy, not that i definitely will, even if i am granted permission (unlikely IMV).

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
MITHRANDIR , suavecarve

Politeness is a given.
Your statement appears to try to infer I/we are trying to circumnavigate a rule by buttering up.
I am not. I am being polite in my request to an answer.
In answer to your question, if said person was transiting through the UK from France to get to Ireland and not setting foot on UK soil bar filling up with diesel then I would expect the answer to be "Yes" and it shouldnt matter whether they were nice or not. Its a legitimate request for clarification purposes. And if they dont set foot in the country, how does that upset anyone ? (Rhetorical, not really after a reply)

So that you know, should the answer come back as "NO" and indeed you would be right, my next port of call would be to contact the Spanish/Italian Embassy to advise them that the French rules prevent me transiting France in order to get to their country.

I have a right to ask these questions, and I will.

For information, Quarantining is not the issue here. Its just getting past the border control in order to get out of their country, a distance of potentially 30 miles. Quarantine is over when you leave that country (providing you dont return within the Q period)

I ve given you my answers but seen your response to MITHRANDIR calling him selfish.

I ve also seen gus-lopez response to you where you answered my 2 questions. Do you think I ought to trust someone who gets 50% of their questions wrong ???? I Know Gus has a better hit rate than that and would trust his judgement more on these matters. Or should I clarify the information myself and risk the wrath of being called Selfish for trying to do something legally that doesnt fit in with your moral compass, by which I have to take no notice of.

I dont intend to carry on liaising with someone who is right as often as a tossed coin and reverts to name calling because someone wishes to travel by land to a country that will accept plane visitors from the UK.

And for sake of clarity, I wont be able to read any of your responses, and you wont be able to read mine

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Politeness is a given.
Your statement appears to try to infer I/we are trying to circumnavigate a rule by buttering up.
I am not. I am being polite in my request to an answer.
In answer to your question, if said person was transiting through the UK from France to get to Ireland and not setting foot on UK soil bar filling up with diesel then I would expect the answer to be "Yes" and it shouldnt matter whether they were nice or not. Its a legitimate request for clarification purposes. And if they dont set foot in the country, how does that upset anyone ? (Rhetorical, not really after a reply)

So that you know, should the answer come back as "NO" and indeed you would be right, my next port of call would be to contact the Spanish/Italian Embassy to advise them that the French rules prevent me transiting France in order to get to their country.

I have a right to ask these questions, and I will.

For information, Quarantining is not the issue here. Its just getting past the border control in order to get out of their country, a distance of potentially 30 miles. Quarantine is over when you leave that country (providing you dont return within the Q period)

I ve given you my answers but seen your response to MITHRANDIR calling him selfish.

I ve also seen gus-lopez response to you where you answered my 2 questions. Do you think I ought to trust someone who gets 50% of their questions wrong ???? I Know Gus has a better hit rate than that and would trust his judgement more on these matters. Or should I clarify the information myself and risk the wrath of being called Selfish for trying to do something legally that doesnt fit in with your moral compass, by which I have to take no notice of.

I dont intend to carry on liaising with someone who is right as often as a tossed coin and reverts to name calling because someone wishes to travel by land to a country that will accept plane visitors from the UK.

And for sake of clarity, I wont be able to read any of your responses, and you wont be able to read mine
gus-lopez The residents answer is given at 3 in the download declaration above. The cut and paste above is wrong!
As for asking the embassy then having done this their answer is that the matter rests with the border official at the time you attempt to enter France. I personally would chance it carrying the declaration sheet and if knocked back have a plan B in place ie go via Belgium or Holland or some such. Maybe look into having a fortnight in Ireland first then go for it from there!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
gus-lopez The residents answer is given at 3 in the download declaration above. The cut and paste above is wrong!
As for asking the embassy then having done this their answer is that the matter rests with the border official at the time you attempt to enter France. I personally would chance it carrying the declaration sheet and if knocked back have a plan B in place ie go via Belgium or Holland or some such. Maybe look into having a fortnight in Ireland first then go for it from there!
If I have read this right, you have already asked the embassy about transiting France and the answer is the Border officials make their minds up ?

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
That's a good point, i read that the decisions can be up to the border official at the time, on the french embassy website i think.

If that is correct then its a rule with maybe some flexibility, if the border official is pragmatic, and sympathetic to the situation at the time.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
If I have read this right, you have already asked the embassy about transiting France and the answer is the Border officials make their minds up ?
Yep....the border official is the final authority.....if he says yes your in.....if he says no then your not! I'm sure you could go away and appeal to some higher authority and wait days or weeks for the answer but in the real world it seems he is the man!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Yep....the border official is the final authority.....if he says yes your in.....if he says no then your not! I'm sure you could go away and appeal to some higher authority and wait days or weeks for the answer but in the real world it seems he is the man!
Appreciating your answer. Sounds so much more factual than some other guesses that have been made.

Too much of a risk for me to gamble on so just about to put my leave back an extra week.

Thanking you.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Appreciating your answer. Sounds so much more factual than some other guesses that have been made.

Too much of a risk for me to gamble on so just about to put my leave back an extra week.

Thanking you.
profile_mask2.png
Below is the email I sent / received from the French consulate. It was in November last and though things have hardened now the overall principals remain the same I think. The emphasis in the French reply is their emphasis and not mine and so reinforces my comment above I think!

20 Nov 2020, 13:50

to LONDRES-CSLT

Salut, je suis vraiment désolé mais je pense que ma traduction de mon premier massage a mal tourné et aurait dû se lire comme ci-dessous! Toutes mes excuses.

salut

Est-il actuellement autorisé à transiter directement par la France depuis le Royaume-Uni vers l'Espagne sans s'arrêter autrement que pour acheter du carburant?

Nous avons des inscriptions pour des questions de résidence à régler en Espagne qui nécessitent la présentation personnelle de documents aux autorités espagnoles en plus d'avoir à effectuer les prochains paiements en espèces pour notre logement à long terme loué là-bas. Nous ne pouvons pas voler et nous espérons y voyager en voiture!

Cordialement

Hi I am so sorry but I think my translation of my first message went wrong and should have read like the below! My apologies.

Hi
Is it currently allowed to transit directly through France from the UK to Spain without stopping other than to buy fuel?

We have outstanding residency registrations in Spain which require personal presentation of documents to the Spanish authorities in addition to having to make future cash payments for our long term rental accommodation there. We cannot fly and we hope to travel there by car!

Regards
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

LONDRES-CSLT Permanencebdd <permanencebdd.londres-cslt@diplomatie.gouv.fr>​

20 Nov 2020, 14:12

French

English

View original message
Don't automatically translate for: French

Hello,

The border between the United Kingdom and France is not closed. However, it is normally possible to travel to France from the United Kingdom only if there are compelling reasons or to reach your main domicile. It is possible to travel for work, study or other justified reasons. Proof may be requested when crossing the border.

The staff in charge of border control is the only one authorized to decide on your entry into the territory.
Also, the PCR screening test is not mandatory for travel between France and the United Kingdom. The exceptional international travel certificate is not required.

In your situation, I advise you to find documents justifying your situation (in your case, you are only passing through France to reach Spain).
To complete the travel attention appearing on this site: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestations-de-deplacement for your trip to France.
And finally, to contact the French consulate in Madrid to check with them if there is a need for additional documents to cross the border between France and Spain.

Regards,

MY
Consulate General of France in London
French administration
PO Box 520 - 21 Cromwell road - LONDON SW7 2EN - UK (Plan / Map)

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
A friend took his motorhome through the tunnel and down into Italy this week with no issues

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I have followed this thread with interest and was hoping for a loophole with some chance of success. Sorry to say I can't see anything that would give me the confidence to turn up at Calais and hope to be waved through. And I'm the kind of guy who likes to push the regs to their limit.
Yes I would love to return to Europe and will go as soon as it's allowed but that's not now sadly.
Last week I asked the same question of a friend who knows his way around the Gallic systems and language, he thought the same, helpfully forwarding these links to corroborate:

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-to-France-and-the-UK

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france

Bon voyage to anyone who is willing to test the system in person, let us know the outcome....

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
That's only for non-eu resident in France though?

Having read through most of the links supplied yesterday including links to the rules & paperwork required for those transporting goods.I have asked my neighbour who travels from here through France , Luxembourg ,Germany into Belgium & Holland collecting trailers ,transporting them to a dutch firm who dismantle, & load all in to one trailer for return here., what paperwork he has to have? Whether he has the French certificate of exemption for transport ?
Does he have the daily attestations if required?
What does he have to enter all the different countries. ?
Nothing of any sort whatsoever. The only thing he carries is the contract for purchase showing ownership. Nor has he ever been asked
He is not required to have any tests to enter any of the countries.
It just seems ridiculous when one lot is being denied entry whilst others do not have to provide anything? The even more ludicrous thing is if I went with him I wouldn't need anything either yet to enter as private individual I need a pcr test?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have followed this thread with interest and was hoping for a loophole with some chance of success. Sorry to say I can't see anything that would give me the confidence to turn up at Calais and hope to be waved through. And I'm the kind of guy who likes to push the regs to their limit.
Yes I would love to return to Europe and will go as soon as it's allowed but that's not now sadly.
Last week I asked the same question of a friend who knows his way around the Gallic systems and language, he thought the same, helpfully forwarding these links to corroborate:

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-to-France-and-the-UK

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france

Bon voyage to anyone who is willing to test the system in person, let us know the outcome....
Contrary to my decision to put back a week, I would suspect that if you turned up with a booking towards the East (Belgium) in a country that accepts us, I would say your odds are semi reasonable. Unfortunately none that way are currently accepting visitors so the transit through germany is required for Italy as well as Switzerland (the way I go)
If you turned up with a pre written out explanation in french that you could recite to the person who was making the decision explaining that this was your booking, you intend to turn left, you expect to be out of the country in half an hour finish it off with Vive La France, Liberte egalite Fraternite (and dropped 5 litres of Bordeaux Superior by accident.)

Unfortunately it wasnt quite enough for me to take a gamble on, but it may be for some, and I will be interested to hear from those that do make it and those that dont.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012

Having read through most of the links supplied yesterday including links to the rules & paperwork required for those transporting goods.I have asked my neighbour who travels from here through France , Luxembourg ,Germany into Belgium & Holland collecting trailers ,transporting them to a dutch firm who dismantle, & load all in to one trailer for return here., what paperwork he has to have? Whether he has the French certificate of exemption for transport ?
Nothing of any sort whatsoever. The only thing he carries is the contract for purchase showing ownership. Nor has he ever been asked
It just seems ridiculous when one lot is being denied entry whilst others do not have to provide anything? The even more ludicrous thing is if I went with him I wouldn't need anything either yet to enter as private individual I need a pcr test?
A view echoed in the DT today:-

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
W
A view echoed in the DT today:-
What makes you think their view is any more informed than anyone elses?
I'm getting a bit tired of the we're being picked on view . We had it in spades when France started saying there were some adverse effects with the AZ vaccine. It was suggested it was all made up......guess what!
I think France are doing what they think is best for their citizens the fact that it affects the holidays of some Brits quite rightly doesn't seem to concern them.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No

gus-lopez No its for a non EU resident in any country who wishes to transit through France. Copied extract below;

Hereby certify that my reason for travel is for one of the following compelling reasons (tick the appropri￾ate box):
[ ] 1. French citizens, their spouses (married, civil union and cohabiting) and their children.
[ ] 2. Citizens of the European Union or equivalent, their spouse (married, civil union or cohabiting partner) and
their children, whose main residence is in France or who are in transit through France on the return trip to their
main residence in a European Union country or equivalent or to a country whose nationality they hold;
[ ] 3. Citizens of other countries with a valid French or European residence permit or long-stay visa, whose
main residence is in France or who are in transit through France on the return trip to their main residence in a
European Union country or similar country.
[ ] 4. British citizens and their family members who are eligible under the agreement for the withdrawal of the
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic En￾ergy Community.
[ ] 5. Citizens of other countries holding a long-stay visa issued for the purpose of family reunion or reunifica￾tion of refugee families, beneficiaries of subsidiary protection and stateless persons.
[ ] 6. Foreign health or research professionals engaged in the fight against COVID-19, their spouse (married,
civil partner, cohabiting partner upon presentation of proof of community of life) and their children.
[ ] 6bis. Foreign health or research professional engaged as an associate trainee.

onemanand2dogs

Free Member
Mar 31, 2017
Knaresborough / Begur
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SLX
Exp
since 2017
Posted a few days ago by @onemanand2dogs . He also said in a earlier post, a French customs official told him he was ok to transit through France in his M'home.
Hello all, sat here looking over at the sea with a coffee. The house was in better nick than we expected and all the work done over the winter has also been done better than we had hoped. As the house had not been lived in for 8 months it was a bit damp though with some mould in places. Had to buy a couple of dehumidifiers to sort it out.

As PhilandMena posted earlier we had no problem driving through France last week. Nobody showed us any interest even though it is clear from the van that we are Welsh and have UK plates and a quite a few Gendarme passed us.

With the new changes in France someone just has to try it and share their experiences. It’s absolutely crazy that people can’t get a definitive answer from the UK / French authorities

I hear that the sun is shining back home. Hope that you are all having fun x

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
gus-lopez No its for a non EU resident in any country who wishes to transit through France. Copied extract below;

Hereby certify that my reason for travel is for one of the following compelling reasons (tick the appropri￾ate box):
[ ] 1. French citizens, their spouses (married, civil union and cohabiting) and their children.
[ ] 2. Citizens of the European Union or equivalent, their spouse (married, civil union or cohabiting partner) and
their children, whose main residence is in France or who are in transit through France on the return trip to their
main residence in a European Union country or equivalent or to a country whose nationality they hold;
[ ] 3. Citizens of other countries with a valid French or European residence permit or long-stay visa, whose
main residence is in France or who are in transit through France on the return trip to their main residence in a
European Union country or similar country.
[ ] 4. British citizens and their family members who are eligible under the agreement for the withdrawal of the
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic En￾ergy Community.
[ ] 5. Citizens of other countries holding a long-stay visa issued for the purpose of family reunion or reunifica￾tion of refugee families, beneficiaries of subsidiary protection and stateless persons.
[ ] 6. Foreign health or research professionals engaged in the fight against COVID-19, their spouse (married,
civil partner, cohabiting partner upon presentation of proof of community of life) and their children.
[ ] 6bis. Foreign health or research professional engaged as an associate trainee.
Thanks for that.I must have missed that when reading?

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I appreciate it is some time away yet and things will undoubtedly change before then, but we will be going to France at the end of August, armed with Greek residence permits and hopefully some sort of evidence that we’ve both had two jabs. Currently there is no equivalent to the NHS England app for residents of Wales, so hopefully a hard copy of some sort of certificate will be available and sufficient to allow us entry to France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back