Trailers and parking on Aires (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We towed a car on a trailer for many years and parked on Aires, but always try and park sensibly, as not to be in the way, or upset other motorhomers. :LOL:
Only once in France did we have to move our toad when we used an a frame .:rolleyes:
Well this Frenchman upset the Spanish motorhomer, they asked him to either put his trailer sideways behind his motorhome and he would still be in his parking area, or put it opposite his motorhome because he is parked in a motorhome space, :rolleyes: that's for motorhomes and not trailers. :eek: :D
Well he wouldn't move, so the police was called and he was thrown off. :LOL:
20190415_222940.jpg
20190415_223027.jpg

What would you do, and do you agree with the way it was dealt with. :)
The Spanish say keep the pease and call the police. :rofl:
:pop: Bob.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Must admit it does wind me up when they park ;) even without a trailer, and we cant get in. :LOL:

Janie asked someone while in Portugal if they could move over a bit so we could get in, and he was happy to do so.
;) But when we got to Porto there was two motorhomes taking three spaces, and it was the same one :rolleyes: when she saw Janie She said he is out on the scooter I will get him to move over when he comes back. :LOL:
But we missed a classic on the way out of Portugal he was parked in a long layby as we were going by, I said damn, I would have pulled up behind and asked him to move forward a bit, :D even though there was no one else in the layby. :rofl: Bob.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
People can be unreasonable when using aires. They should have parked their trailer behind themselves, not take up another space.
I asked a bloke to put his awning in so I could get in a space. He did, no problem and he knew it was wrong.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Totally agree with the action of the Spanish motorhomes. I'm fed up with some of the selfish people amongst us.

Some years ago on the Aire in Palencia, all the marked motorhome parking spaces were full so the latecomers started to fill the car parking spaces, taking two and even three spaces to park across. Trailers on some!

Evenings in some countries the car parks would be empty but not in nocturnal Spain and I really felt sorry for the Spanish running group who were meeting there and had nowhere to park once they'd squeezed in amongst the motorhomes.

I've always regretted not taking a photo of the selfish parking, it really had to be seen to be believed.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've also seen some trailers and small cars belonging to one motorhome parking next to it taking the place of a motorhome.
It's totally selfish, especially when there is room behind them To put it

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
What about people that put their chairs out to secure a place irrespective of how long they are gone - i dont do it but lots of selfish people of all nationalities seem to do it - only seen people move them a couple of times and that causes arguments

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
That's the best thing about marked bays, and if there is chairs we would phone the police, we phoned the police in Germany, there was 16 spaces for motorhomes and half had cars parked in them. :rolleyes:
The police came and not only put tickets on the cars in our bays, but also did all the cars that were parked where they shouldn't. :LOL:
A lot of them were at the swimming pool, and had an expensive swim. :D
But next time they may not park in motorhome bays. (y) Bob.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Agree, Aires are for Camping Cars not for car, trailers, chairs & tables, etc.
If you park & behave like a numpty you deserve what you get!
We have a ‘toad’ Which comes with us to France in the winter when we property sit and use Aires whilst getting there & back but the ‘toad’ is always parked off out of the way!

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Interesting reading.

Having just invested in a car and trailer to take with us on our travels, we are concerned about getting in some aires.

I guess we are not going to be so spontaneous in our choice of overnight stops anymore.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That's the best thing about marked bays, and if there is chairs we would phone the police, we phoned the police in Germany, there was 16 spaces for motorhomes and half had cars parked in them. :rolleyes:
The police came and not only put tickets on the cars in our bays, but also did all the cars that were parked where they shouldn't. :LOL:
A lot of them were at the swimming pool, and had an expensive swim. :D
But next time they may not park in motorhome bays. (y) Bob.
i bet it made you feel really good , getting fellow motorists done for just parking a car.
personly i would never dream of calling the police for something so trivial , just move on.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
A couple of years ago we were parked alone on a small un-marked out Aire in a nice comfortable position. Along came a Belgian motor-home who did his best to find a similar nice position. I jumped out and offered to move up a bit to allow him better space. This we agreed to do.
A while later we were chatting and the wife next door remarked that of all the years that they had been motor-homers this was the first time they had experienced someone offering to move for them also commenting that a French 'campingcarist' certainly wouldn't have done that!

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
@Armytwowheels
It does depend on the aire, if you have marked spaces I would say you know your wrong, if there is no markings then you should be OK, ;) as long as your not blocking the road. :LOL:
When we had our A Class and smart / trailer we never had a problem, but there were ones we couldn't get in. :)
Some just take the Pi$$, I will give you an example :eek:
And we know this because we had your spot. :D
A few years ago, you were parked at Portimao aire, next to Tom and Maggie and their yappy Yorkie in a flair, and having known them for years parked ;) I won't say next to them :rolleyes: because you couldn't get that close. :eek:
Their pitch was trailer washing line motorhome awning car then a boundary wall of water bottles. :doh:

But they spoke highly of you two, because they had a problem and Colin sorted it out. :rofl:

I doubt you could forget Maggie ;) Tom's lovely. (y)
Bob.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I guess we are not going to be so spontaneous in our choice of overnight stops anymore.

We've towed a trailer for years using aires many times. It does need a little planning, Le Touquet and Futuroscope aires are perfect as they're huge, others with less than four places probably need a miss. :)
This is us at Le Touquet aire, loads of space :D
RV 05.12.18.jpg

Mick

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
20 St Seurin Aire.JPG

We parked at St Seurin Aire and the German Guy on the right was parked making the most of the view taking up 3 spaces. Throughout the afternoon there was a procession of (mainly) French Motorhomes who, one by one tried to persuade him to turn his van round and make a bit more room. He point blank refused. Mind you there were no marked spaces and he could have been the first one there before the others parked at 90 degrees to the view....

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
i bet it made you feel really good , getting fellow motorists done for just parking a car.
personly i would never dream of calling the police for something so trivial , just move on.

How about when you get a ticket for parking in a car parking space, motorhome groups fight long and hard to get parking for motorhomes, and that's what they are for, same goes for disable spaces mother and toddler spaces, a lot of the time they just too lazy to walk. :rolleyes:
Here in Spain you or in our case the community pay for a sign on the gate way to your property to keep it clear, so if anyone parks there you contact the police, and that's very simple here, we have apps contact police, send a photo / video message and they tow them.:)
And believe me, if your drive way is blocked every time you wanted to go in or out you would do the same. :D Bob.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Interesting reading.

Having just invested in a car and trailer to take with us on our travels, we are concerned about getting in some aires.

A long as you are not inconsiderate you'll be fine. we would never park the trailer like the pic in the OP, much too likely to be nicked Always prefer to stick it sideways behind and then back up to it almost touching it making theft very difficult.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How about when you get a ticket for parking in a car parking space, motorhome groups fight long and hard to get parking for motorhomes, and that's what they are for, same goes for disable spaces mother and toddler spaces, a lot of the time they just too lasy to walk. :rolleyes:
Here in Spain you or in our case the community pay for a sign on the gate way to your property to keep it clear, so if anyone parks there you contact the police, and that's very simple here, we have apps contact police, send a photo / video message and they tow them.:)
And believe me, if your drive way is blocked every time you wanted to go in or out you would do the same. :D Bob.
parking across your drive is totally different than someone parking in a car park

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
A few years ago, you were parked at Portimao aire, next to Tom and Maggie and their yappy Yorkie in a flair, and having known them for years parked ;) I won't say next to them :rolleyes: because you couldn't get that close. :eek:
Their pitch was trailer washing line motorhome awning car then a boundary wall of water bottles. :doh:

But they spoke highly of you two, because they had a problem and Colin sorted it out. :rofl:

Bob.
I don't remember them at all, but then we were in the company of @Busman and @PhilandMena so probably and lot of wine was being consumed!
IMG_1432.JPG

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
@Armytwowheels
It does depend on the aire, if you have marked spaces I would say you know your wrong, if there is no markings then you should be OK, ;) as long as your not blocking the road. :LOL:
When we had our A Class and smart / trailer we never had a problem, but there were ones we couldn't get in. :)
Some just take the Pi$$, I will give you an example :eek:
And we know this because we had your spot. :D

Bob.

I’ve had the pleasure of Tom and Maggie in Portugal for wine o’clock at their van..... bright red lipstick and smart car..:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back