Towing tests face the axe (ref B+E licence)? (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Caravans make much more sense for young people with families. Reinstating their towing rights without a test will be a good thing (y)
I completely agree. The current rules around weights are complex and opaque. And do not seem to be backed by accident statistics.

I'd much rather relax the rules completely, or come up with a much simpler regime.

A simpler regime might be ... anyone who wants to tow a caravan has to do a day's course with one of the caravan clubs. No need for a test, just teaching the basics on how to load, how to make sure the caravan is safe, how to reverse etc. Similar schemes could be done by the horse clubs for horse boxes. The clubs could be authorised to add the +E to people's driving licences.

If you wanted to be radical, you could even have the +E expire after (say) 5 years, and people have to do the training again.

You could have a similar scheme to add the C1 to people's licences.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Most people appear to have no ability to drive, so I think a towing test is a good thing.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Totally different machines if you have a license to ride a 125cc scooter you also have a license to ride a 180mph super bike
Unless things have changed, not quite accurate. IIRC, if you passed your test on a small capacity bike/moped/scooter then you were restricted to 250cc. Long time since I rode a motorbike though. That was back in the day when you could have a Bonneville/ Gold Star as a learner bike!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I completely agree. The current rules around weights are complex and opaque. And do not seem to be backed by accident statistics.

I'd much rather relax the rules completely, or come up with a much simpler regime.

A simpler regime might be ... anyone who wants to tow a caravan has to do a day's course with one of the caravan clubs. No need for a test, just teaching the basics on how to load, how to make sure the caravan is safe, how to reverse etc. Similar schemes could be done by the horse clubs for horse boxes. The clubs could be authorised to add the +E to people's driving licences.

If you wanted to be radical, you could even have the +E expire after (say) 5 years, and people have to do the training again.

You could have a similar scheme to add the C1 to people's licences.
We had this suggestion when I owned a motorcycle training school, and the problem is it will always be open to abuse, and fraud. I know now I have friends who get round DCPD thing without ever having to sit in a classroom. It costs a bit more than normal but hey, the instructor needs something in his back pocket.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Unless things have changed, not quite accurate. IIRC, if you passed your test on a small capacity bike/moped/scooter then you were restricted to 250cc. Long time since I rode a motorbike though. That was back in the day when you could have a Bonneville/ Gold Star as a learner bike!
Yes it accurate, things have been changed from your experience for over 30 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back