Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
Watching on the Atlantic coast first week, then scooting east and all being well I will be somewhere on the approach to the Col de le loze stage, just waiting for the detailed route

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Watching on the Atlantic coast first week, then scooting east and all being well I will be somewhere on the approach to the Col de le loze stage, just waiting for the detailed route
There is a guy on this youtube video doing a recce of the col de le loze. There is a very long 20% steep section a few km from the top that would be a great place to watch the riders struggling up the mountain. Whether or not we are allowed our motorhomes to park there Im waiting to find out.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
That looks like a lovely scenic driving route but some of the rock overhangs look a bit to low for a motorhome?
I think that one is fine. Would need double checking, I know the tarn gorges on a map say 2.6 m or something but you just drive on the wrong side of the road as the height limit is for the inside lane only.

However not all of them are so wide and high. If you have 15 minutes to waste watching the highlights of the dangerous roads to great music, have a watch of this. Many of them are well within striking distance of Gorges de la Bourne

All things being equal we will have done the lot by the end of the next holiday, or we will have died trying !

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
There is a guy on this youtube video doing a recce of the col de le loze. There is a very long 20% steep section a few km from the top that would be a great place to watch the riders struggling up the mountain. Whether or not we are allowed our motorhomes to park there Im waiting to find out.

This is the queen stage and will be mad busy, the Belgians and Dutch will be up there for days before it hits, my hope is to get a good spot on the run in to the climb and that will enable me to ride up it a day or so before. The climb looks magnificent especially the last 7K (from Meribel) but that is a motor vehicle free zone and the police will be all over that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
This is the queen stage and will be mad busy, the Belgians and Dutch will be up there for days before it hits, my hope is to get a good spot on the run in to the climb and that will enable me to ride up it a day or so before. The climb looks magnificent especially the last 7K (from Meribel) but that is a motor vehicle free zone and the police will be all over that
My plan was to arrive in meribel day before and park up. Was hoping to park on the Col de le loze but as you say it could be a vehicle free zone. So looking for somewhere good to park preferably on a climb just before meribel itself?
Its also been suggested that there is a field at the bottom of the Planche de belles filles where a lady allows campers to stay over for a small fee.

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
I saw the start of that stage last year in Belfort, i heard about that field as well but had a site booked for 4 days so stayed put and got a train to the start of another stage from Mulhouse. Once i have worked out where we are near Meribel i will post, this stage looks like a blinder!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just found some of them (mountain stages only) on https://www.freewheelingfrance.com/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-2020-route.html

1595760664972.png

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Watch this space 100 hot spots of Covid reported today in France, could well be cancelled or no spectating good luck trying to enforce that!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Just an update . Prime Minister was at a hospital in Montpelier yesterday and said France in the last two weeks has gone backwards and said masks advised to be worn in more situations . And has also said another lockdown could not be ruled out .
Was in French it I would have posted it . Was on France Bleu internet

Barefoot Rog

Free Member
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Giottiline
Any advice please!

We are planning to watch stage 9 Pau-Laruns on Sunday September 6th. It is the first time we will have watched with the van and we would like to get into the mountains. How long in advance should we go there and does anyone happen to know this route and a good place to stop?

Many thanks for any help!

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
My plan was to arrive in meribel day before and park up. Was hoping to park on the Col de le loze but as you say it could be a vehicle free zone. So looking for somewhere good to park preferably on a climb just before meribel itself?
Its also been suggested that there is a field at the bottom of the Planche de belles filles where a lady allows campers to stay over for a small fee.
I spent five winters living with a view of Col de la Loze, not a lot of room up there so I’d be very surprised if Mohos were allowed up for the tour.
Maybe able to park halfway up in the altiport area.
It would be good if you could uplift with the ski lifts.

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Any advice please!

We are planning to watch stage 9 Pau-Laruns on Sunday September 6th. It is the first time we will have watched with the van and we would like to get into the mountains. How long in advance should we go there and does anyone happen to know this route and a good place to stop?

Many thanks for any help!
I've followed parts of the stage on google streetview and there are numerous good parking stops which will be good for viewing however all the really good vantage point up in the mountains will be bagged at least two days and sometimes earlier before the stage day .
My advice is to be up there with enough food , water and possibly a spare cassette a soon as possible

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
The 3 valleys lift company is doing a limited lift opening during the tour, details to follow.
Be aware that you can access Col de la Loze from La Tania and Le Praz as well as Méribel .

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
No Froome and G this year, my lot will be disappointed, still an opportunity to improve their Spanish...

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
The official TDF programme is available shows every inch and every minute the stages will pass enroute.
Bought mine on line but understand a Smiths and others sell them £10 the one in the yellow box
Colyboy

Deleted User
I'll be cheering Peter Sagan he's a great character and offen drifts away from the usual post race narrative.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back