LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
That's going to ruin my other summer holiday, I take it its the same published route? The only reason I ask is that I like to do various sections of the tour , up to 60 miles a day and I do wimp out at cat two and above climbs, ( I am well in my sixties) I know my place and pace in September and we move slowly south in less stress as hopefully as Sept is in the main not as much punishment neat wise to ride as July

Deleted User
Yes if we can or the Vuelta later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
That's going to ruin my other summer holiday, I take it its the same published route? The only reason I ask is that I like to do various sections of the tour , up to 60 miles a day and I do wimp out at cat two and above climbs, ( I am well in my sixties) I know my place and pace in September and we move slowly south in less stress as hopefully as Sept is in the main not as much punishment neat wise to ride as July
Neat??? Specsavers please HEAT wise !

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Going to try for stages 8&9 in the Pyrenees.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Booked shuttle for the 26 th August and returning about the end of September. Planning to see the “tour” in Alps for a few days ,then off South for a bit of sun.

Colyboy

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Booked shuttle for the 26 th August and returning about the end of September. Planning to see the “tour” in Alps for a few days ,then off South for a bit of sun.

Colyboy
We met up at Col de Vars three years ago on the TDF , I’ll be over in the Alps so might see you somewhere . Here’s a photo I took that day of your van Colyboy
6D9C573B-3C31-4ECD-913E-BD31BD95D656.jpeg

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We will be away in Europe somewhere at that time.
We werent expecting to get away at the moment, not to where we wanted to go, but as le tour is on we may well revisit France but whereabouts will be a very last minute decision.
Changed our minds for location on this trip after we landed in order to play it as safe as was reasonably practicable

Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
looking at going to see ta mountain stage has anyone got any tips as I have never seen a stage in the mountains. how difficult to get parked up. I will be going solo so would be nice to get parked up with English speaking as my French is limited.

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
looking at going to see ta mountain stage has anyone got any tips as I have never seen a stage in the mountains. how difficult to get parked up. I will be going solo so would be nice to get parked up with English speaking as my French is limited.
Andy once I know the route and road numbers on the mountain stages I follow the route on google streetview and look for potential good viewing locations , be aware that the mountain stages are jam packed and the best parking spots are often bagged anything up to 3 days before the stage so be early and take plenty of water and food and be prepared to sit it out . Don't worry to much if your surrounded by French or other nationalities as we find they are usually friendly and the atmosphere is buzzing on the day of the stage .
BTW If you see a Pilote motorhome with a Scottish and a Union flag flying that will be us

Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
Thanks for the info, I never thought of using google maps. I am looking forward to it and I will certainly keep an eye out for you.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
We are very excited that we’re still able to see some of Le Tour on this trip. Were originally going to be in the Alps for July but will also be in the Pyrenees for September! Might even stay for a bit of La Vuelta!
Watch out for a Dethleffs with a St Andrews sticker on the back and a black lab looking hot & excited.

Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
Looking forward to it I would have liked to brought my black lab but he is suffering with arthritis and finds getting about difficult. I will certainly keep a eye out for yourselves and if I don't see you enjoy your tour.

Geoff

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Looking forward to it I would have liked to brought my black lab but he is suffering with arthritis and finds getting about difficult. I will certainly keep a eye out for yourselves and if I don't see you enjoy your tour.

Geoff
what make of van do you have Geoff

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Our black lab is getting more arthritic now too. She's 11 in October and has it in her elbows. Might have to get her a cart one day as could never leave her behind.

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
Hope to see at least a couple of stages this year, haven't booked anything yet but have kept Sept as a blank canvas and once happy will start to look at the host towns and get as close as possible

Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
I am the same I went last year on the spur of the moment, booked the ferry while travelling down. I am hoping to set off either 23rd or 24th which should give me plenty of time to get down to the south. I have only ever used the ferry dover Calais can anyone suggest which is the best and cheapest tunnel or ferry.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Andycap. We ALWAYS use the tunnel but we use frequent traveller.I think if you book the tunnel one off it will be expensive suggest you try the ferry for a lower price early you book the cheaper it is.

Colyboy

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Likely will go to la planche des belles filles again, head up there Friday afternoon once school has finished in prep for a busy Saturday. Plan to ride it again although if it's the same as last year then the last 1km on gravel will be closed, plenty of fun though.

Plan B is to take the day off on the 18th and ride up to the finish at Champagnole, it's about 90km each way so if the finish is late then may struggle to get back in the light...

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
When is the actual route going to be published, as cant see it on the official site.
Looking at Stage 4 Sisteron - Orcieres. Stage 5 Gap - Privas and stage 16 La Tour du Pin - Villard de lans.

The last of those stages might go up the gorges de la bourne and i tend to use the motorbike videos of the balcony roads to try and determine the possibilities of a motorhome stop.
This is one of the longer vids that is good to help with planning as to whether to park motorhome up for the day or cycle or motorbike up

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I was planning to do the the Planche Des Belles filles TT and the Col de Loze stages. It will depend on what restrictions there are due to covid 19. No point travelling form Edinburgh to south east france if I cant get near. There is a website Ive been following that has a lot of up to date travel news on the tour.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
When is the actual route going to be published, as cant see it on the official site.
Looking at Stage 4 Sisteron - Orcieres. Stage 5 Gap - Privas and stage 16 La Tour du Pin - Villard de lans.

The last of those stages might go up the gorges de la bourne and i tend to use the motorbike videos of the balcony roads to try and determine the possibilities of a motorhome stop.
This is one of the longer vids that is good to help with planning as to whether to park motorhome up for the day or cycle or motorbike up

That looks like a lovely scenic driving route but some of the rock overhangs look a bit to low for a motorhome?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back