Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i worked on building sites most my working life, and some of them guys could shit five foot up the wall.
but luckily i am regular as clock work 5 am every morning whether im up or not.:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
Absoloutely not. It seems that it is the norm to have no toilet seat or toilet paper, and they seem never to get cleaned. Occasionally you come across a decent one but it seems quite rare.

Good job we have our own in the motorhome.

Wyn

That is strange because in the course of my travels on Mole Patrol I visit many areas in the Charente, Vienne, Haute-Vienne and Deux-Sevres areas and if caught short will seek out a public toilet in the towns or villages. I find that the vast majority are cleaned every day and most have paper and washing facilities. You just have to accept that toilet seats are not provided, but it is no hardship. Even the smallest village is likely to have a decent public toilet.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I went to the toilet in a slightly dodgy bar in Crete years ago. There was puke and sh!t all over the walls:sicker:

I left straight away and returned to my seat. My wife and I spent a hilarious hour or two watching the expressions of various men who went in and then came out quickly:)

I had to go to the loo in the bar next door because the entertainment was too good to miss

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Compared to the UK we have found that cafe toilets in France are much better
Public ones we have found most seem to be the automatic cleaning type

Campsite ones vary greatly as do the UK ones but if they're rubbish
A/ use your motorhome ones
B/ Complain to the management making sure you tell them you're going on ACSI/ Trip Adviser / Facebook and telling everyone how rubbish the site is - - then watch what happens but don't bluff if nothing happens ROAST them

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
Just to add t my earlier post; I would not recommend going into public toilets in an aire or car park on a hauliers route. They are usually in an absolutely disgusting state.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Why on earth people are using grotty public toilets when their motorhome is parked nearby I just can't understand.
Almost as daft as those on C&MC sites mooching across the wet grass in their dressing gowns in the chilly mornings to the toilet blocks. :whistle:

Richard.
Its part of the ritual for many

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Went to use a motorway services toilet in Yugoslavia, as it was then, it was a hole in the ground type, made a hasty retreat when rats came out of it, wasn't that desperate after all.

I could never work out which way to face when using the hole in the ground ones.

Stopped in a picnic area in Sweden, and I kid you not, there were two seats in each long drop.

We also find toilets in Portugal very clean, but they are so low, gives me hell with my knees, I suppose it's because, in general, the Portuguese are a short race.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
there were two seats in each long drop.

As used to be the "norm" in many UK rural parts.:) One smaller than the other.:) The old "Back to Back" Housing in HULL some of which only got pulled down in the late 50`s STILL had the "night soil" man come weekly to remove the bins, all of which went on the land as fertiliser!(y). The old Building I demolished to put up a House in the 90`s. Had a Brick "outhouse" at the bottom of the garden which prior to the Sewer`s being upgraded circa 1950 had been the "outside" dry loo.(y). After all when you had a 300yard "trek" you needed company!:whistle:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
To me the issue with French toilets tends to be the smell. Now whether that is because the wiff factor goes up with the heat in comparison to the UK or it is because they are less clean I do not know. Not the same issue in Spain.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Perhaps it's because many café loos in France are treated as public loos by passers-by so they get heavily used.

French joke according to Shitipedia..........:

'It was a Belgian who invented the toilet seat, but it was a Frenchman who had the idea of putting a hole in the middle'.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Too many Spriddlers? :)
Spot on! @Camdoon (y)That has been my nickname for 50+ years at home, work and on message boards.
My 7 yr old daughter used to go for a 'Sprinkle' and my toddler son for a 'Widdle' . One day my elder son (12) decided that my loo visits must be for a 'Spriddle'. Hence I became 'Spriddler'.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Gosh - I so much hoped it wasn't :)

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Avoid the toilets in the council campsite in Colmar!

Take money to “borrow” the toilet roll prior to using the public toilets in Tunisia.

Avoid eating and drinking in India.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Went to use a motorway services toilet in Yugoslavia, as it was then, it was a hole in the ground type, made a hasty retreat when rats came out of it, wasn't that desperate after all.

I could never work out which way to face when using the hole in the ground ones.

Stopped in a picnic area in Sweden, and I kid you not, there were two seats in each long drop.

We also find toilets in Portugal very clean, but they are so low, gives me hell with my knees, I suppose it's because, in general, the Portuguese are a short race.[/QUOT
Where in Sweden was that ??? Got to give the rastplaza 9 out of 10 .

anniej

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Herne, Herne Bay, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Exec
Exp
20 years
Have you tried the toilet on the Tunisian salt Lake! A hole cut in the salt with a flimsy toilet arrangement over. I hovered!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I seem to recall in Greece the toilet paper goes in a separate bin.

Not a nice experience when the bin is full to overflowing :sicker:

Nearly as bad as France.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I seem to recall in Greece the toilet paper goes in a separate bin.

Not a nice experience when the bin is full to overflowing :sicker:

Nearly as bad as France.

Lots of campsites in Spain have a bin for used toilet paper and a notice in multi languages telling the user to not deposit used paper or, for that matter, anything except bodily waste in the toilet!!:unsure:

Mar 4, 2018
Reading
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
With regard to travelling in France and hygienic conveniences. Look for the sign of the Golden Arches.

We know it affectionately as a “McDump”

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I'll never forget driving into a beautiful new aire just off one of the new dual carriageways on the way down to the Charente Maritime when we used to take the kids many years ago. I went into the beautiful newly built toilet building painted/stuccoed in white.

I was reminded of that disgusting joke shortened here - What salts do you take?

Answer - Somersaults!

How the hell do you get it all over the ceiling which was at least 12 feet up!

Public toilets in France are best avoided unless they are the automatic type that are sprayed clean between each user!

We make a point of taking time out to have a coffee in nice clean looking establishment though we will bear the Golden Arches in mind - thanks for the tip!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Absoloutely not. It seems that it is the norm to have no toilet seat or toilet paper, and they seem never to get cleaned. Occasionally you come across a decent one but it seems quite rare.

Good job we have our own in the motorhome.

Wyn
You are expected to carry your own toilet paper and not flush it down the toilet. In pay toilets they will provide a few sheets as you pay.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
They are a bit friendly in France, went in a bar for a drink then for a pee, urinal and toilet was next to each other and it was the only one in the place:)
Think Mrs CC was a bit surprised when she went in:LOL:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
My last 3 uses of UK public loos include remnants of poo, a srynge and female products. Give me French loos anyday!!!!!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
not flush it down the toilet.

????? And .... what do you do with it then? I know a few are not connected to the general sew but to (fosse septique, sorry no time to look for the English word) but it's certainly not the norm.

Now a few explanations
First brushes in toilets are regularly robbed, so owners tend to be fed up with buying new ones . I have the same problem at the stadium.

And yes...... people do the same with toilet paper.
Amazing isn't it?... but it drives to this : no paper , no brush.
Not fair for the ones who wouldn't even think of it, I know!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Anyone who ever went to Americana at Newark, Will remember Paul getting on the stage with his "one to wipe, one to polish" routine. The amount of Toilet rolls stolen every year was Eye Watering!.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have heard of people nicking toilet paper, either tightfisted or deliberately making life difficult for the next user. The latter may seem crazy but I have seen toilets in the UK where someone has put all the toilet paper down the loo, presumably just to block it for others.
What use is a second hand toilet brush to anyone?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back