Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Time for a rant.

Is it just me that thinks toilets both public and in many restaurants and bars in France are disgusting.

Rant over.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, it’s probably just you!:)

Seriously, there are good and bad in France, as there are in Britain. However, I can say, in all honesty that café and restaurant toilets around us are pretty good.

Public toilets are a different matter. They are not so good but neither are British ones if you can find any.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Time for a rant.

Is it just me that thinks toilets both public and in many restaurants and bars in France are disgusting.

Rant over.
Absoloutely not. It seems that it is the norm to have no toilet seat or toilet paper, and they seem never to get cleaned. Occasionally you come across a decent one but it seems quite rare.

Good job we have our own in the motorhome.

Wyn

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I'm guessing that you've never used public toilets in India, Africa or China then?
Makes the ones in France look and smell positively palacial
Have seen worse over here sometimes .
People on the cmc can leave a toilet in a right state even with a brush supplied.! Why?
We often stop in villages in France and use the church toilets (outside the church!)Always been clean.
Motorway reststops in France with no shop are usually less pleasant but blame it on Jo public do they leave such a mess at home?
Still love France:france:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Bad toilets, try South America! Interesting to say the least.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)

AndyV

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
since 2003
Quite a few years ago the only type of toilets they had in France were the Turkish ones ie. squat down to a hole in the ground. You have to be pretty nimble to use one of them but once I got the hang of it, there is no other way. Travel the world & see what a load of crap there is & of course all the splendour ;)

OP
OP
TM59

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Is there a business opportunity for someone to import toilet seats.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Walked into one in a cafe in East Germany, walked straight out.
If I say the lid wouldn't close and it wasn't faulty you get the idea.
The last few users must have Hovered.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
When we get ff the Zeebrugge ferry we drive about 5k into Belguim and stop at a garage so the dog can do her business on a piece of grass. I go to the outside toilet and it’s just full of stinking shit. Have to then watch the dog on the grass as it full f the human stuff cos they darent use the public loo. That is the worst I have ever seen!

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Toilets in France are very different to the UK. Often the toilet is for both male and female. On one occasion I was in a Restaurant waiting to use the toilet. A woman in her 40's came up and was also waiting to use the toilet. We started talking and when the person came out of the toilet I went in and the woman followed me in still chatting away. Luckily I only wanted a pee. As I washed my hands she then sat down and did her business still chatting away. My wife is French , I thought she was different to UK women, but it seems to be the norm. I love it here.

OP
OP
TM59

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Have had our grand daughter with us. What baby changing facilities I ask.
Another rant over.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Why on earth people are using grotty public toilets when their motorhome is parked nearby I just can't understand.
Almost as daft as those on C&MC sites mooching across the wet grass in their dressing gowns in the chilly mornings to the toilet blocks. :whistle:

Richard.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Why on earth people are using grotty public toilets when their motorhome is parked nearby I just can't understand.
Almost as daft as those on C&MC sites mooching across the wet grass in their dressing gowns in the chilly mornings to the toilet blocks. :whistle:

Richard.
For me the main reason for having our MH is that we always have a nice clean toilet, a comfortable bed, hygienic and handy kitchen stocked with good food available at all times.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Richard.

hard to believe I know,

but sometimes we cut the umbilical cord and explore town centres and other places away from the van.. can't hold it in all day..

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The French ones have improved a lot over the years. We find that those in Portugal are a lot better though.

OP
OP
TM59

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003

Richard.

We use our motorhome facilities to the max. But when out in town or restaurant can’t run back to the van every time.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Toilets in France are very different to the UK. Often the toilet is for both male and female. On one occasion I was in a Restaurant waiting to use the toilet. A woman in her 40's came up and was also waiting to use the toilet. We started talking and when the person came out of the toilet I went in and the woman followed me in still chatting away. Luckily I only wanted a pee. As I washed my hands she then sat down and did her business still chatting away. My wife is French , I thought she was different to UK women, but it seems to be the norm. I love it here.

I had that happen here many years back. Urinal & toilet & women followed me in. Wife asked after what was going on.:rofl:

OP
OP
TM59

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003

Richard.
Just our opinion my wife calls it the walk of shame.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
hard to believe I know,

but sometimes we cut the umbilical cord and explore town centres and other places away from the van.. can't hold it in all day..
I agree Jim, but I did qualify my post by saying "when their motorhome is parked nearby". :)

We use our motorhome facilities to the max. But when out in town or restaurant can’t run back to the van every time.
See above. (y)

Richard.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think its something about the British that makes us so bothered a lot of other nationalities see it as something to be done and forgotten we seem to dwell on whether they were "nice"

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I have had it abroad when the cleaner is in the toilet mopping away by my feet why I am having a pee, have had a smile from them but not sure what way it was meant(n):)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not been to Morocco then ?

OR. the Gulf States, Most of the Far East, Russia, Eastern Europe, South America, "Delly Belly" is not a Myth, Nor Montezuma`s revenge!. In a 20 year M-N career I have used (or not!) "Sanitary" arrangements in most of the world:(. Not to mention the "Thunder Boxes" we built for "over the side use"(y). An interesting life all told!:D. In fact my Wife thinks I am the world expert on "S***t". I have no idea Why?.:D2.

"I will say this Only Once", "ze bomb is hidden in the Pissiour".

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Try the pit toilets in the outback of oz , just think what’s down there spiders the lot , all in the steamy heat , lovely

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back