Toilet thread (for a change)!! Sorry! (1 Viewer)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I have heard of Funsters using Bio washing tablets in their toilet casettes, what type do you buy and where from, my O/H shopped around last weekend and couldn't find anyone who sold them, must admit she didn't try Aldi or Lidl's though.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I tried the aldi bio washing liqutabs for a few months there but I have to say I've went back to using blue as it certainly does smell much better.

That said I've been plagued with stomach bugs the last month or so and that's been unpleasant to empty lol.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I think all supermarkets sell them. As long as it says "Bio" as opposed to "non Bio" it'll work. I used the cheapest Sainsburys powder, just transfer it into a plastic container with a lid. No nasty smells emptying the cassette. Had no problems using it full timing.
I reckon the cheapest will be the most basic--- bio liquid or powder with no added softeners etc..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Any bio Washing detergent will do does not need to be a expensive one.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I always use the bio liquid, the cheaper the better.

If the loo starts to whiff (although it gets emptied every other day as a rule) I add another capful or two of liquid.

I don't think a day or two is enough time for the emzymes to really work but the bio liquid smells much nicer than blue when you empty the cassette. I hate the smell of blue :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I use Aldi bio liquid, also down the sink, washbasin and shower drains. One Thetford measure for the toilet, a small "shot" down each of the other drains after each emptying of the waste tank.
Recommend any day.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I always use the bio liquid, the cheaper the better.

If the loo starts to whiff (although it gets emptied every other day as a rule) I add another capful or two of liquid.

I don't think a day or two is enough time for the emzymes to really work but the bio liquid smells much nicer than blue when you empty the cassette. I hate the smell of blue :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:
See I never got the bio to dissolve number 2's it was still lumpy ....and sometimes it was 4 days before I coukd get mine emptied

Maybe I've been using the wrong ones...ones I got were liquid satchets with two colours in them

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Maybe I've been using the wrong ones...ones I got were liquid satchets with two colours in them

I think they have fabric softener in them - and you don't want to have that as it coats everything so prevents enzyme action :) Plain liquid is best - the cheaper the better as you don't want the fabric conditioner!!!!

The bio liquid does get / keep the cassette interior clean.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think they have fabric softener in them - and you don't want to have that as it coats everything so prevents enzyme action :) Plain liquid is best - the cheaper the better as you don't want the fabric conditioner!!!!

The bio liquid does get / keep the cassette interior clean.
Thanks I think you might be right I've probably been buying the combined ones I'll try just the bio liquid and see how I get on

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Always use bio, don't like the smell of the blue stuff and it doesn't break things down as well as the bio. Lidls Formil is good and cheap in the big bottle. Like wise the Thetford loo paper isn't great. Tesco's basic soft stuff breaks down well while being strong enough for its purpose. We always carry tons of it as SWMBO has a prejudice against French bog rolls for some reason.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cheap bio liquid is best as tablets don't dissolve properly so don't work as well. As for loo rolls, we tend to take a lot from home (3-ply) but they don't usually last the 6 weeks we're away so we end up buying some which, unless you buy the crappy 2-ply ones, can be quite expensive - before you ask doubling up on the 2-ply doesn't make them better than 3-ply as the 'strength' lies in them being 'bonded' together so the 2-ply easily tear/lump together 'in use' ... can beat 3-ply! :xgrin:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Shouldn't we consider where we empty our cassettes before deciding what chemicals or paper to use? If the contents are going into a septic tank or cess pit on a CL for example, some of the bio or chemical content may interfere with the processes that those systems use.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Cheap bio liquid is best as tablets don't dissolve properly so don't work as well. As for loo rolls, we tend to take a lot from home (3-ply) but they don't usually last the 6 weeks we're away so we end up buying some which, unless you buy the crappy 2-ply ones, can be quite expensive - before you ask doubling up on the 2-ply doesn't make them better than 3-ply as the 'strength' lies in them being 'bonded' together so the 2-ply easily tear/lump together 'in use' ... can beat 3-ply! :xgrin:
Who could have thought toilet paper could be so complicated

I use triple velvet ......it also makes a good serviette in emergencies

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Bio washing liquid is fine in a cesspit. We use the Iceland Petal Soft loo roll good to use as well. It's only £1 for 4 rolls.

Denise

PS Is the paper in public loos getting narrower and thinner than it used to be? Seems to us it is.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Shouldn't we consider where we empty our cassettes before deciding what chemicals or paper to use? If the contents are going into a septic tank or cess pit on a CL for example, some of the bio or chemical content may interfere with the processes that those systems use.
Mine tends to go down my mum's toilet or the one at work at the minute...or usually a public toilet if im touring around.

When I get over to Spain I guess it will be aires or service points

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I use ALDI 'sachet' version. By sachet I mean little soluble pillow-shaped things full of liquid. As I normally end up emptying the cassette at night, when it's dark, and usually raining, I like something I can drop in in one go. (I store my bio sachets box between the cassette door & the cassette - ie outside).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bio washing liquid is fine in a cesspit. We use the Iceland Petal Soft loo roll good to use as well. It's only £1 for 4 rolls.

Denise

PS Is the paper in public loos getting narrower and thinner than it used to be? Seems to us it is.
All toilet rolls are getting smaller nowadays, same with kitchen roll, it's about time there was a minimum standard size for length and width per sheet so you can easily compare them. Abroad they seem to have 3 sizes (widths) of kitchen roll - a large one that's about 2 inches too wide and won't fit on a holder so you end up having to 'saw' the end off with the bread knife, a medium one which will fit perfectly, and small which is about half an inch too narrow so you have to remember to keep the centre from the medium one so you can slot that inside to keep it on the holder! :xangry:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh, just a tip, when storing toilet/kitchen roll in the camper make sure you squash it flat first, that way you aren't wasting space in the cupboard etc due to the hollow inner core.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
All toilet rolls are getting smaller nowadays, same with kitchen roll, it's about time there was a minimum standard size for length and width per sheet so you can easily compare them. Abroad they seem to have 3 sizes (widths) of kitchen roll - a large one that's about 2 inches too wide and won't fit on a holder so you end up having to 'saw' the end off with the bread knife, a medium one which will fit perfectly, and small which is about half an inch too narrow so you have to remember to keep the centre from the medium one so you can slot that inside to keep it on the holder! :xangry:
I just stick mine in a cupboard

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Theres nothing in this world worse than a hollow inner core!!!!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just the opposite. It is the blue stuff that kills the septic tank, the Bio is fine

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I saw bottles of Baby Bio in the garden centre. They're a bit small but do you think they'd be any good?

Before any backlash I am joking :D

Wyn

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
What about the pink additive that goes in the flush tank ? Doesn't this react with bio liquid ?

:xsmile:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Just the opposite. It is the blue stuff that kills the septic tank, the Bio is fine
Ah that is good to know. What about the green stuff that Caravan shops sell. Is that OK for Septic tanks?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back