Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Ton Pentre Rhondda
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Just gave the toilet and enclosure a good clean, herindoors complained about a constant smell from it, this one has a fan fitted to it with a charcoal filter. Changed the charcoal for some I had from my old job ( gasman). When I checked the fan, which is fitted flush (get it) to
the floor, there wasn't any hole cut under it, so any smell would just be blown back into the enclosure. Doh! So I've cut a hole now which vents, luckily, on top of wheel arch cover away from any water ingress. Fan now sounds a lot better. Will check smells next week when we're in Pembrey. Just wondered if anyone has had this problem.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Looks like a botched attempt to fit a Thetford SOG kit, the hard part of the fit is cutting the vent hole and fitting the plastic vent funnel, it can even mean removing the complete lower toilet assembly to get access.
Now you have cut a hole under the fan make sure you seal the wood in the hole, if there is any chance of water getting to the underside then fit a short length of plastic tubing to line hole and seal it with mastic top and bottom.
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
Jwcgas

Jwcgas

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Ton Pentre Rhondda
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
This one is the Thetford C260 with a built in fan, not the SOG, which I fitted to my old van. I take on board your point about sealing the wood Ed, I'll apply some Unibond around the hole I cut out. Cheers.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
This one is the Thetford C260 with a built in fan, not the SOG, which I fitted to my old van. I take on board your point about sealing the wood Ed, I'll apply some Unibond around the hole I cut out. Cheers.
It does the same job as the SOG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Just awaiting the Thetford kit for mine, not looking forward to drilling the hole as the instructions mention a 85mm holesaw but looking at the pictures, the vent is shaped as a funnel as @Sheddy mentions(n)

Going to wait until I've got the kit and see if something can be adapted for a neater job.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Just awaiting the Thetford kit for mine, not looking forward to drilling the hole as the instructions mention a 85mm holesaw but looking at the pictures, the vent is shaped as a funnel as @Sheddy mentions(n)

Going to wait until I've got the kit and see if something can be adapted for a neater job.

What I suggested earlier is a reasonable solution, measure the size of the vent hole in the base of the filter housing about 40mm I think, center drill through the floor(s) from the empty cassette space and then drill the large hole from below. You may find there is a gap between the base of the toilet floor and the floor of the van. Seal the wood in the holes then fit and secure with sikaflex a small length of 40mm waste plastic pipe flush to the top of the hole below the fan plastic housing and protruding about 15mm underneath the van floor, seal top and bottom edges with sikaflex.

For replacement filters, use activated charcoal, empty and replace the contents of the filter box,or alternatively if you are parked next to undesirable folk take the filter out ;)
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
Jwcgas

Jwcgas

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Ton Pentre Rhondda
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Cheers Ed, my job for Friday.
Hope my neighbour is friendly next week.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
What I suggested earlier is a reasonable solution, measure the size of the vent hole in the base of the filter housing about 40mm I think, center drill through the floor(s) from the empty cassette space and then drill the large hole from below. You may find there is a gap between the base of the toilet floor and the floor of the van. Seal the wood in the holes then fit and secure with sikaflex a small length of 40mm waste plastic pipe flush to the top of the hole below the fan plastic housing and protruding about 15mm underneath the van floor, seal top and bottom edges with sikaflex.

For replacement filters, use activated charcoal, empty and replace the contents of the filter box,or alternatively if you are parked next to undesirable folk take the filter out ;)
Cheers
Ed

Excellent information Ed and very much appreciated(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It does the same job as the SOG
I order the SOG on the new van, it came with the Thetford one as well except the filter wasn't installed. I disconnected the Thetford fan.
After reading the Thetford instructions glad I paid the extra for the SOG, SOG filter is changed once a year Thetford one 4 weeks that's expensive at 20 quid a pop.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I order the SOG on the new van, it came with the Thetford one as well except the filter wasn't installed. I disconnected the Thetford fan.
After reading the Thetford instructions glad I paid the extra for the SOG, SOG filter is changed once a year Thetford one 4 weeks that's expensive at 20 quid a pop.
Had ours for one and a half years and not changed it yet.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Had ours for one and a half years and not changed it yet.
Ah! I wondered who it was.:wink:

I agree, a 4 week replacement is ridiculous and unnecessary .. just a sales ploy.

When we had a SOG I used to replenish the filter with activated charcoal .... will do the same with the Thetford although it is a different makeup to SOG.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ah! I wondered who it was.:wink:

I agree, a 4 week replacement is ridiculous and unnecessary .. just a sales ploy.

When we had a SOG I used to replenish the filter with activated charcoal .... will do the same with the Thetford although it is a different makeup to SOG.
Where do you get the charcoal from Brian?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our loo fan works well and is correctly fitted-by hubby, but it started to be a bit pongy, so replaced charcoal filter and cleaned the pipe that goes between cassette and fan.
All good now!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back