To anyone awaiting spares from German manufacturers (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
NOOOOO !! LOL !!!!
I personally think it was just plain old stupidity .. I only offer other reasons as an alternative.. And I have no doubt at all there are loads of other possible reasons..

China was NOT exporting to the UK under EU rules,. it was Japan
I have imported enough stuff to have had to pay import duty countless times on stuff from China

Please explain how China exported to the UK outside the scope of EU rules when the UK traded under EU regulations as part of the EU.

Perhaps everyone in the EU importing the same stuff from China also had to pay import duty.

Deleted User
They do !!!! Imports from China have always been liable for duty and VAT all over EU area

I'm afraid that you have lost me now, are you saying that the UK had a different trade deal with China whilst it was still in the EU or was it the same as the rest of the EU.

If the latter then we will now be trading under different rules surely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I'm afraid that you have lost me now, are you saying that the UK had a different trade deal with China whilst it was still in the EU or was it the same as the rest of the EU.

If the latter then we will now be trading under different rules surely.
LOL !!!! You are confusing ME now !!!
Nothing has changed as far as trade deals go with China.. Buth here and in the EU
What has changed is HMC are expecting the Chinese suppler to collect VAT on their behalf

Interesting! So this change would have happened whether we left the EU or not?
Yup.. Well documented by the govt but completely ignored by the media as it is not headline grabbing rubbish
Hard to get exciting headlines out of much HMRC does compared to leaving the EU or Covid

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Easy decision for you then, use DPD and get it back to sender 4 days later instead ;). I think we all have stories with most couriers I was not advocating the use of UPS merely demonstrating that the issue was peculiar to DPD. For the most part as receiver I get no say in the choice of courier that is the sender's call.
You are right
In this issue, DPD are in the phase where they are deluded into thinking that their customers work for them
When Ups or whoever ( no favourite) have a "Can do" service, it will be amazing how quick the "Cant do " merchants change their tune or go to the wall

That's the market forces

Deleted User
What has changed is HMC are expecting the Chinese suppler to collect VAT on their behalf

Surely this is because we are no longer in the EU and thus have needed to implement different rules for the collection of VAT due on imports.

Whether these rules have been changed in the way they have due to the bloody mindedness of HMRC I have no idea but I am afraid it is impossible to get away from the fact that these changes have come into being due to the UK's decision to leave the EU on the 1st January 2021.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Frankly the exact reason as to why is less of concern to me than the fact that I either wait for the part from Germany at just over 73 Euro plus possible duty, or buy exactly the same thing in the Rip-Off Britain for a mere £710 plus vat! (n)

It's a car part rather than for a motorhome, but a no brainer for me and could be an indicator of what we could be facing unless it gets sorted out!

No doubt in my mind that leaving the EU has been the trigger and HMRC have taken advantage of the change to simultaneously implement new rules. The problem is clearly our bureaucrat's and it's time Boris and Co got a grip.

Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Comanche B16 1 MAN
Exp
Since 1992
Ordered a air conditioning compressor from Germany on 7th January and paid listed price including German Vat (19%), delivery and a "pledge" (returnable deposit for old part to be returned) totalling £260. Next thing is a letter from Customs & Excise saying £47 Import Vat is due before Post Office will release package. Responded that I had paid German Vat, and value was only £160, and the net value was £136! The response was a reduction in import Vat and I must apply to German company (Autodoc) to get a refund of the German Vat. I'll let you know!

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
You are right
In this issue, DPD are in the phase where they are deluded into thinking that their customers work for them
When Ups or whoever ( no favourite) have a "Can do" service, it will be amazing how quick the "Cant do " merchants change their tune or go to the wall

That's the market forces
Or find other markets that are easier to trade with now that we have complicated matters compared to when we were in the Customs Union and the Single market. British exceptionalism, or specifically English exceptionalism, so characteristic of the Brexiteers, comes to the fore again. It's all the result of dastardly foreign owned shipping companies not understanding that additional paperwork and customs checks are to everyone's benefit. !! Eventually Brexiteers will get bored with groping about blindly about on the top of those Boris Beacons in search of the sunlight, not least because the Beacons are bereft of food if they happen to be in Northern Ireland or if in Scotland their stance will be challenged by the rotting fish beneath their feet. Eitherway reality can only be denied for so long. But until then expect dastardly foreigners, esp. the Germans, French or Chinese, closely followed by Remainers to be blamed for something Brexiteer's voted for. Personally as a Remainer it is turning out quite as I expected, although I would have hoped that a Conservative project would have been better planned and executed. But competence and expertise seems to something that's not valued in the UK any more. Sadly.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Or find other markets that are easier to trade with now that we have complicated matters compared to when we were in the Customs Union and the Single market. British exceptionalism, or specifically English exceptionalism, so characteristic of the Brexiteers, comes to the fore again. It's all the result of dastardly foreign owned shipping companies not understanding that additional paperwork and customs checks are to everyone's benefit. !! Eventually Brexiteers will get bored with groping about blindly about on the top of those Boris Beacons in search of the sunlight, not least because the Beacons are bereft of food if they happen to be in Northern Ireland or if in Scotland their stance will be challenged by the rotting fish beneath their feet. Eitherway reality can only be denied for so long. But until then expect dastardly foreigners, esp. the Germans, French or Chinese, closely followed by Remainers to be blamed for something Brexiteer's voted for. Personally as a Remainer it is turning out quite as I expected, although I would have hoped that a Conservative project would have been better planned and executed. But competence and expertise seems to something that's not valued in the UK any more. Sadly.
Afraid I don't agree
The UK market is too big to ignore, but I think you have a view and are entitled to it
Personally, I am going to "deny" ( your word) your doom and gloom a bit longer than 3 weeks to decide how it is turning out, but as I said, it looks you have quickly decided, to which you are very much entitled

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Frankly the exact reason as to why is less of concern to me than the fact that I either wait for the part from Germany at just over 73 Euro plus possible duty, or buy exactly the same thing in the Rip-Off Britain for a mere £710 plus vat! (n)
That is an eye watering difference!:whatthe:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off

It's a car part rather than for a motorhome, but a no brainer for me and could be an indicator of what we could be facing unless it gets sorted out!

No doubt in my mind that leaving the EU has been the trigger and HMRC have taken advantage of the change to simultaneously implement new rules. The problem is clearly our bureaucrat's and it's time Boris and Co got a grip.
But your exact point reveals also my exact point
If the German supplier has to find a courier that "can do" and collects the vat AND has to charge you now £130 (say) ....you will still ,rightly, buy it and save a fortune

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Afraid I don't agree
The UK market is too big to ignore, but I think you have a view and are entitled to it
Personally, I am going to "deny" ( your word) your doom and gloom a bit longer than 3 weeks to decide how it is turning out, but as I said, it looks you have quickly decided, to which you are very much entitled
Very reasonable, thank you. (unlike me these days). However if its true, and it may be, that the UK market is too big to ignore then how can it be that the UK government would chose to introduce a series of measures, (by exiting the Single Market and the Customs Union) that make it so much more difficult for us to trade with the EU: who are way to big to ignore, given that they are several times more important to British trade than the UK market is to the EU collectively? Again thanks for your considered comments.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
That is an eye watering difference!:whatthe:
Isn't it? Tip of the iceberg though. I have to buy technical sound and lighting equipment occasionally. Buying it on the continent is usually typically 30 to 50% cheaper buying direct from continental suppliers and that's comparing it to the discounters like Gear4Music. If you go with the main dealers it's 'ouch' all the way.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I'm waiting a delivery from Carthago through Reliance. Only ordered a few days ago so don't know if there will be a problem, it would not surprise me though but I'm sure Chris / Reliance will do there best.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Isn't it? Tip of the iceberg though. I have to buy technical sound and lighting equipment occasionally. Buying it on the continent is usually typically 30 to 50% cheaper buying direct from continental suppliers and that's comparing it to the discounters like Gear4Music. If you go with the main dealers it's 'ouch' all the way.
I always use Thomman for my gear.... Great company to deal with.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
LOL !!!! You are confusing ME now !!!
Nothing has changed as far as trade deals go with China.. Buth here and in the EU

Yup.. Well documented by the govt but completely ignored by the media as it is not headline grabbing rubbish
Hard to get exciting headlines out of much HMRC does compared to leaving the EU or Covid
We were informed of the intention on the 13th of July and the details were published on the 3rd December. Unfortunately no matter how many capital letters you use and how confidently you make your assertions you are wrong. The only reason these changes have been made is because we have left the Single Market and the Customs Union. Saying otherwise is ridiculous.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We were informed of the intention on the 13th of July and the details were published on the 3rd December. Unfortunately no matter how many capital letters you use and how confidently you make your assertions you are wrong. The only reason these changes have been made is because we have left the Single Market and the Customs Union. Saying otherwise is ridiculous.

OK.. Losing the will to live now... What ever you say :)

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
The Times today
79267344-FA09-47AC-B123-717A333C6CEF.jpeg

Deleted User
My son ships export trailers out of Hull and Immingham and collects import trailers every day, usually full loads but also groupage trailers which is where most of the problems arise.

While he does not get involved in the paperwork necessary he is involved in the repercussions.

If he turns up at the docks and the correct paperwork has not been filed he is refused entry, not a major problem at Hull as the firms office that he subs for is a few hundred yards from the dock gates.

At Immingham, which they are having to use more and more because of P&O's decision to reduce sailings to Zeebrugge from Hull, they have had to rent space for trailers to be stored while the paperwork is sorted out, all this causes delays and extra costs which will ultimately be passed onto the customers.

Some of this is undoubtedly down to unfamiliarity with the necessary documentation but some delays and costs will be ongoing, especially for groupage trailers.

This particular firm do not transport parcels and groupage trailers may only have up to 10 consignments, I can imagine the problems that parcel carriers have where trailers may have hundreds if not thousands of individual consignments.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I think its courier related. I have received one UPS from Germany last week and here is another now in the UK:-

Delivery
--
Current EventIn Transit19/01/2021 15:43Stanford Le Hope, United Kingdom
Past EventShipped15/01/2021 15:16Rosenheim, Germany
Past EventLabel Created15/01/2021 11:08Germany
I did a lot of export orders in boxes and having had returns previously for no good reason before the brexit closure I changed to UPS for the Nov & December orders, great service and quick, a bit more cost but worth it.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019

Wow. I would love to know what car part it is that gets a near 1000% mark-up just by being purchased in the UK rather than the EU ? ? ? ? ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Surely this is because we are no longer in the EU and thus have needed to implement different rules for the collection of VAT due on imports.

Whether these rules have been changed in the way they have due to the bloody mindedness of HMRC I have no idea but I am afraid it is impossible to get away from the fact that these changes have come into being due to the UK's decision to leave the EU on the 1st January 2021.
The UK used to only charge VAT on imports from outside the EU if the value was over £15. This was how the cheap simcard "scam" worked. You ordered the card, the one I got was from a company in Jersey, but the card was posted from Switzerland with a customs declaration saying the value was £15 - although I'd paid around £25. :)

The UK took the decision to charge VAT on all imports of any value at the same time as we left the EU. This was entirely a UK decision and we could have kept things as they were.

Why they did this enters the political arena so I won't go there. :)

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
The way i see it is the EU intend to make the UK pay one way or another for having the guts to leave the EU so i will be buying as much as possible from elsewhere.:giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back