To anyone awaiting spares from German manufacturers (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I'm still awaiting the delivery of some items ordered through Reliance about seven weeks ago for them to add to a much bigger order with Carthago. I paid the invoice they sent me up front and immediately. I have chased them up but no joy so far.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Unfortunately british made equals crap and exensive ...thats why we gave up manufacturing cars etc .

Some may be able to afford twice the price others don't want to.

Still waiting to see all these benefits everyone was promised
But like predicted those on lower incomes are the ones going to suffer.

The cheap stuff doesn't come from the EU................ it's from the Far East....

Certainly not from Scotland.... stay out of politics Tam

Scotland in the EU?..............please yourself..... the vaccine debacle has shown the EU for what it is

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The cheap stuff doesn't come from the EU................ it's from the Far East....

Certainly not from Scotland.... stay out of politics Tam

Scotland in the EU?..............please yourself..... the vaccine debacle has shown the EU for what it is
As someone who buys shed loads of stuff online from Germany, Holland etc i can assure you it was cheaper buying it from there than a british supplier. Only now it isnt. You can't even buy a second hand vehicle in germany now without paying import costs you didn't have to before. Absolutely nothing to do with the far east.

As for the vaccines ive said it already they arent the savour people think and if the whole world isn't vaccinated theres no point celebrating the uk being vaccinated early as you aint going anywhere safely till everyone else is

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I purchased an item from Nantes which was €16 it should have been about €4 in post. It now costs €16 in post etc the reason is the additional paperwork, the item was sent by FedEx a few days later After I received the goods I received 3 pages of import information. There are two further changes coming along, the next one I believe is April then July and I believe this is for importing amongst other things Food.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I don't think this debacle has anything to do with the Far East, or even Brexit per se, it's our HMRC and our civil servants who are causing all the issues as a result of leaving the EU.

Several technical forums I am on are covering this in detail, and all conclude it's Brit's making life hard for Brit's. Plenty of evidence out there that it is that's making it difficult for our former partners to do business with us.

As for quality and price arguments for British built goods and services, there are some cracking good pieces of British work, but equally much is below par or overpriced. For example, we had two British vans from different stables before buying German. There is no comparison on build quality sadly. 😞

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Dont agree, there are many companies in Britain making quality items. Some more expensive than the same made in other countries and some not. To say all british made gear is crap isnt right at all.
Unfortunately very little of it is stuff i want to buy.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I don't think this debacle has anything to do with the Far East, or even Brexit per se, it's our HMRC and our civil servants who are causing all the issues as a result of leaving the EU.

Several technical forums I am on are covering this in detail, and all conclude it's Brit's making life hard for Brit's. Plenty of evidence out there that it is that's making it difficult for our former partners to do business with us.

As for quality and price arguments for British built goods and services, there are some cracking good pieces of British work, but equally much is below par or overpriced. For example, we had two British vans from different stables before buying German. There is no comparison on build quality sadly. 😞
My understanding is that there is a system called Chief that exporters have to use and it’s quite an onerous system to use unite cumbersome and time consuming and a throw back to former processes.

It is not surprising, if a company starts up today they have processes and procedures suitable for what they want to do. For many organisations particularly larger ones the processes that supported the organisations years ago are no longer fit for purpose and can be like an anchor as the company tries to do things faster or change direction. It’s a common problem.
Most of this would not have been properly thought through or changes implemented as a government wrenches a country out of a system it has operated in for half a century.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
lets hope we get more buy british, and made in britian from all this
Most British goods are manufactured overseas, most electronic goods, Dyson for example, most tools are made overseas. So is clothing, a mate of mine has a British brand 98% of the ‘British clothing’ he makes is manufactured overseas. A few items have final finishing here.

Marketing is a powerful thing

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
There are lots of things going on, and some are being “blamed” on B

One example ( of 000’s) is the export of used trucks to Rep of Ireland ( my industry)

RoI customs, historically, and against EU policy, allowed the Irish hauliers to import trucks without paying vat, andthen adjust their next vat return accordingly
Now ( as they always shoukd have done) they have to pay VAT at the port of entry before they get the truck.This is in line with EU policy Clearly cash-flow impact for the Irish haulier

The supply/demand reality will sort this, but not in 8 weeks

In the meantime, those blessed with either an agenda or just ignorance are inaccurately pointing the finger at B****t

This sort of thing is being felt everywhere and it is clear that some importers/exporters were not ready.....but they will get there....either willingly or reluctantly.....but not in 8 weeks👍

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Most British goods are manufactured overseas, most electronic goods, Dyson for example, most tools are made overseas. So is clothing, a mate of mine has a British brand 98% of the ‘British clothing’ he makes is manufactured overseas. A few items have final finishing here.

Marketing is a powerful thing
you are right in some cases. But even final assembly at least creates jobs and can ensure better quality of assembly.
Look at cars made in Sunderland for instance, the parts are sourced from all around the world, some british, some not, but still classified as british made and jobs.

The items I manufacture here, some materials are from china, some are not, but the vast majority of the work that needs doing manually is here, not china so jobs are in britain.

I agree with what you are saying in part but dont agree with sweeped up statements that "british manufacturing is crap"

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
you are right in some cases. But even final assembly at least creates jobs and can ensure better quality of assembly.
Look at cars made in Sunderland for instance, the parts are sourced from all around the world, some british, some not, but still classified as british made and jobs.

The items I manufacture here, some materials are from china, some are not, but the vast majority of the work that needs doing manually is here, not china so jobs are in britain.

I agree with what you are saying in part but dont agree with sweeped up statements that "british manufacturing is crap"
Have you ever made the mistake of buying an Austin Mero or Princess 😉

But can’t disagree there will be some manufacturing that is good.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Have you ever made the mistake of buying an Austin Mero or Princess 😉

But can’t disagree there will be some manufacturing that is good.
Ha, yes back in the day when unions ruled the tea rooms.

But I have also been on the equation bailing out compnaies last second for container quantity of gear from china that upon inspection a blind man would not have allowed get past a QA dept.

swings and roundabout somewhat I suppose.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

I originally started work as an apprentice mechanic for rover group ....they were crap.
I then moved to ford .....they were crap

I then got out of motor trade jobs and in to factories ....5 different factories over the years manufacturing all different kinds of stuff ....every one of those companies i worked for went bust and are no longer in business🤷🏻‍♂️ mostly because either the product was crap or it was overpriced compared to what other options were available.

The uk is good at somethings granted....but im willing to bet if you look around your house and other places most of what you see originates outside the uk.

And i for one don't particularly want to have to pay more for that stuff now or have to put up with poorer quality.

There's very little of a motorhome manufactured in the uk either.
And if more companies start making stuff in the uk you can guarantee it wont be competitively priced especially when selling to a captured market.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I'm sure the suppliers in Europe want to continue supplying customers here and will find a way. It seems more of a problem of transport. I'm sure one of the delivery firms will sort it

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Bureaucrats create work for other bureaucrats.

All my working life I had to deal with a steady growth in time-consuming paperwork, none of which provided any cost savings (in some cases that was the official intention), quite the contrary. This stuff was brought to our attention by the brilliant C Northcote Parkinson in the 1950s.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I originally started work as an apprentice mechanic for rover group ....they were crap.
I then moved to ford .....they were crap

I then got out of motor trade jobs and in to factories ....5 different factories over the years manufacturing all different kinds of stuff ....every one of those companies i worked for went bust and are no longer in business🤷🏻‍♂️ mostly because either the product was crap or it was overpriced compared to what other options were available.

The uk is good at somethings granted....but im willing to bet if you look around your house and other places most of what you see originates outside the uk.

And i for one don't particularly want to have to pay more for that stuff now or have to put up with poorer quality.

There's very little of a motorhome manufactured in the uk either.
And if more companies start making stuff in the uk you can guarantee it wont be competitively priced especially when selling to a captured market.
Basing the whole uk manufacturing quality on your 5 different extremely unionised "crap" factories today isnt really market leading analysis for today though is it.

I think your bomments may be dfferent if you had to stand up in person today and in front of 100 british company directors and possibly 10,000 british workers and say all the stuff they make is "crap"

Ill leave it there

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm sure the suppliers in Europe want to continue supplying customers here and will find a way. It seems more of a problem of transport. I'm sure one of the delivery firms will sort it
They will

But it will come at an Extra cost to you and i

I for one can't really afford to pay more for everything....it all adds up

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Basing the whole uk manufacturing quality on your 5 different extremely unionised "crap" factories today isnt really market leading analysis for today though is it.

I think your bomments may be dfferent if you had to stand up in person today and in front of 100 british company directors and possibly 10,000 british workers and say all the stuff they make is "crap"

Ill leave it there
Lot of assumptions made in that reply.

But my opinion is shared by millions which is why we import more than we export. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

And it won't be Parcel Force - today received a small parcel posted 50 miles away on the 15th !

Ashy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Skegness
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
Since 2012
I bought and had delivered efoy cartridges from Germany 2 weeks ago. Same price in the uk but carriage £40 + vat u.k. 23 euro 2 day delivery from Germany
Hi, which company did you use as I am in need.
Thanks.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I bought and had delivered efoy cartridges from Germany 2 weeks ago. Same price in the uk but carriage £40 + vat u.k. 23 euro 2 day delivery from Germany
Is there an advantage buying Efoy fuel from Germany? We get ours from Fuel Cell Systems in Hungerford.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back