To anyone awaiting spares from German manufacturers (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
When I had my Yankee RV I used to get loads of stuff from the states, couriers like UPS and DHL all delivered and managed the import duties and the VAT which I used to pay online to get delivery released all worked fine, I am sure it will settle down.
Same as, I ordered some bolt on farkles for a Husqvarna bike from the US, there is a perfectly good system for paying import duties and vat. Those that deal with U.K./ EU freight just need to get up to speed and quickly.
Or alternatively just bombard the postal system with mountains of tat in small packages just like the Chinese manufacturers do, seemingly without paying vat and tax.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I find it impossible to conceive that businesses and individuals thought we would just continue as before.
The situation has not got ANYTHING to do with BREXIT.. It has everything to do with HMRC thinking they can command sellers around the world to become unpaid tax collectors for them

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
The situation has not got ANYTHING to do with BREXIT.. It has everything to do with HMRC thinking they can command sellers around the world to become unpaid tax collectors for them
Are you suggesting that it is entirely coincidental that these problems started on the 1st of January?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ordered 4 cases of wine from Germany through my wine man before Christmas in the event of no deal. No wine, learnt today it had been returned by DPD with some garbled sort of excuse about Covid. Wine man has trouble getting through to the warehouse as many are working at home. I suspect, like many, it's the paperwork.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Interesting views, presently waiting for a spare from Hymer via TW delivery quoted in December as mid /late January.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I ordered 3 box sets from Amazon France last week. They were delivered via Parcelforce 4 days afterwards.

No hassle.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
DPD had the most problems, I ship out and recieve via parcelforce, had no problems.
I dont know what the big deal is, we just got caught out by the large amount of gear being traversed through the system as more people are ordering online due to covid in every country.

It is no different from imports exports that have been going on for years if you bought or sold outsde the eu.

If you as a business didnt get yourself ready thats a different story

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think this is an issue only for multi parcel carriers.

For instance DPD taking parcels from hundreds of people and shipping to to hundreds of people in the UK. In the truck with all these parcels there will be some that haven't had proper customs docs done. This will create a nightmare for them at the border if they haven't prechecked all parcels.

Whereas a manufacturer or a carrier dealing with a shipment from one supplier to multiple customers this issue will not be present as only one set of paper work will be needed.

No doubt they will get a system in place for checking parcels as they arrive for correct paperwork. I do think that shipping costs will increase due to this though.

Just my random thoughts on the matter, and I could be wrong on this;

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
At the end of the day, the market will decide
It is the customer that sets the price, not the supplier, by chosing to buy or not to buy
This is the ‘finger pointing’ stage, where in reality, nothing gets solved, just who is the noisiest finger pointer
45 years of doing something one way will not be sorted in 3 weeks ,...but it will find a new level
BUSINESS, will drive this quicker, not the various (all country) governmental departments...but again, not in 3 weeks

If customer’s various German or wherever purchases become more expensive/ harder/less value, then some buyers will stop making those purchases
When MOST buyers stop, a solution will be found
The demands on the couriers by their customers on both sides of the transaction will force them to retrieve their dummies from the floor and sort it

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
No doubt they will get a system in place for checking parcels as they arrive for correct paperwork. I do think that shipping costs will increase due to this though.
But their systems for checking paperwork were already in place for non EU deliveries 🤷‍♂️ that's the frustrating thing.......they are not doing anything new, it's only the areas on the map that have changed

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I think this is an issue only for multi parcel carriers.

For instance DPD taking parcels from hundreds of people and shipping to to hundreds of people in the UK. In the truck with all these parcels there will be some that haven't had proper customs docs done. This will create a nightmare for them at the border if they haven't prechecked all parcels.

Whereas a manufacturer or a carrier dealing with a shipment from one supplier to multiple customers this issue will not be present as only one set of paper work will be needed.

Just my random thoughts on the matter, and I could be wrong on this;
Whilst your thoughts are an interesting view I believe the issue is with DPD. They announced that they were suspending their EU delivery service until further notice due to paper work structures. UPS, my example above, work on the same principle of multi suppliers to multi customers and have no hassle. The business model of DPD is very different. Whilst they are evolving into a professional business, and I for one like their ground breaking app and slot management, they started as a bunch of white van men and based their model on down to a price. Comparing them to experienced international couriers like UPS, DHL, GSL and even Royal Mail is like comparing Poundland with Marks and Spencer. But like the latter you pays your money and takes your choice. I still love DPD for my UK stuff though and am sorry that Amazon reduced their use and reliance on them.

Deleted User
But their systems for checking paperwork were already in place for non EU deliveries 🤷‍♂️ that's the frustrating thing.......they are not doing anything new, it's only the areas on the map that have changed
And the quantities involved!........oh and the import locations.......don't think much is imported from China or the USA etc via Dover or the Channel ports.

Deleted User
Whilst your thoughts are an interesting view I believe the issue is with DPD. They announced that they were suspending their EU delivery service until further notice due to paper work structures. UPS, my example above, work on the same principle of multi suppliers to multi customers and have no hassle. The business model of DPD is very different. Whilst they are evolving into a professional business, and I for one like their ground breaking app and slot management, they started as a bunch of white van men and based their model on down to a price. Comparing them to experienced international couriers like UPS, DHL, GSL and even Royal Mail is like comparing Poundland with Marks and Spencer. But like the latter you pays your money and takes your choice. I still love DPD for my UK stuff though and am sorry that Amazon reduced their use and reliance on them.
After a recent experience with UPS, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

I paid for overnight delivery to Portugal, arrived 4 days later and then they had the cheek to put an oversize surcharge on the delivery!!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Are you suggesting that it is entirely coincidental that these problems started on the 1st of January?
No idea of coincidence or stupidity on the part of HMC changing the rules the same time as BREXIT ( or a remoaner in charge who knew full well folk would blame BREXIT ) but thems the new rules

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
After a recent experience with UPS, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

I paid for overnight delivery to Portugal, arrived 4 days later and then they had the cheek to put an oversize surcharge on the delivery!!!
Easy decision for you then, use DPD and get it back to sender 4 days later instead ;). I think we all have stories with most couriers I was not advocating the use of UPS merely demonstrating that the issue was peculiar to DPD. For the most part as receiver I get no say in the choice of courier that is the sender's call.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
No idea of coincidence or stupidity on the part of HMC changing the rules the same time as BREXIT ( or a Remainer in charge who knew full well folk would blame BREXIT ) but thems the new rules
Did HMRC change the rules or were the rules changed as a result of exiting the Customs Union following the transition period?

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
So do you really think that the size of UK market for foreign sellers of good is not worth bothering with. :doh:
When the costs accumulate to the extent that they outweigh the profits then yes. Or, more subtly, when the additional UK government imposed costs of exporting to the UK make other markets relatively more profitable, then overseas manufacturers and exporters will concentrate on them. It's called the maximisation of profits and inherent to what you do when running a business.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
So why did it start after Jan 1st if it's nothing to with Brexit?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Of course it’s to do with Brexit it’s why the Government did that advert saying Check, Change, Go all related to the trade deal that has not been scrutinised by parliament or the fishing deal that was not read by the fisheries minister as she was busy organising a nativity trail ( strange but true).

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Did HMRC change the rules or were the rules changed as a result of exiting the Customs Union following the transition period?
It was HMRC.. The move was published some time ago but the media were too interested in BREXIT to report it

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
My neighbour ordered a suspension pump for his Audi from a U.K. supplier. It was sourced from Germany , when he tracked it it was stuck at the German Border he had a bill for £49.00 duty plus £12.0 costs. As the supplier was U.K. based he had a refund through Pay Pal. Now reordered from U.K. manufacturers.
this is of course as a result of Brexit, but as previously mentioned “It’s what we voted for”. As I recall the “We” was 51%?
The bed has been made but it’s not very comfortable.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So why did it start after Jan 1st if it's nothing to with Brexit?
That is the thing.. was it stupidity or the work of a remoaner as an awful lot of people have fallen for thinking it is a BREXIT thing..

China is not in Europe and imports from there have been affected just the same

Deleted User
That is the thing.. was it stupidity or the work of a Remainer as an awful lot of people have fallen for thinking it is a BREXIT thing..

China is not in Europe and imports from there have been affected just the same

China was exporting to the UK under EU rules, we are not now in the EU so the rules have changed.:doh:

You seem to be determined to avert the reason for this onto remainers rather than the obvious cause.....fake news.......are you related to the soon to be departed Donald:Smile:

Feb 18, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria S 690 SP.
Exp
2018 August
Ordered parts last week that were despatched Saturday. Today I get a note to say the borders are shut so it was returned to sender. I queried it to then get this forwarded message originating from DPD.
I ordered an ebike on Amazon 3 weeks ago from Germany. DPD returned it to sender so I had to cancel and buy one in the UK.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
China was exporting to the UK under EU rules, we are not now in the EU so the rules have changed.:doh:

You seem to be determined to avert the reason for this onto remainers rather than the obvious cause.....fake news.......are you related to the soon to be departed Donald:Smile:
NOOOOO !! LOL !!!!
I personally think it was just plain old stupidity .. I only offer other reasons as an alternative.. And I have no doubt at all there are loads of other possible reasons..

China was NOT exporting to the UK under EU rules,. it was Japan
I have imported enough stuff to have had to pay import duty countless times on stuff from China

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back