LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you have the heat exchanger, van warms up while driving so you're only using gas to tick over on alde.
If you set the thermostat, I don't see why you are too warm??
Truma cools down too quickly.
The alde underfloor heating is lovely on your feet, no cold spots.

If you get a diesel heater aftermarket fit, probably best if you camp in cold weather.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Blown air provides direct heat to the areas where its vented, but not inside cupboards and behind the furnishings.

Much more even heat throughout the van without the hot and cold spots we always had with the blown air system
That is down to the quality of the installation, our blow air heats behind the furnishings and there are hot air vents along the the top of the dash between the screen and blind and we have no cold spots.

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
Alde no question. More even heat, ours is mostly underfloor, and with the heat exchanger the whole living area is warm when you arrive.
I found the very coarse thermostat on the Truma blown air to be irritating-too hot one minute then cold before the heating came back on.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I use 1p mobile SIM in my iNet
When you purchase the sim do you need to put it in a phone to activate it first or does it just go straight in the inet box.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I found the very coarse thermostat on the Truma blown air to be irritating-too hot one minute then cold before the heating came back on.
Modern ones much better you can set the temperature in ½° increments & can set an offset to compensate for the position of the sensor.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Had a whale blown air, absolute rubbish. So bad we used a fan heater when on electric and on gas when off hook up it sounded like a fighter jet taking off. Awful thing!

Then had Alde, nice even heat, did get too hot a lot of the time. Quiet, and very programmable, though temperature never stayed quite right and tried everything including a remote temperature sensor. Boost function for water very helpful and on gas and the 3kw electric we never ran out of hot water, ever.

Now have the Truma blown air, quiet, efficient and due to Hymer installing it well, no cold spots throughout the whole van. Keeps the right temperature and does what it says on the tin. Not brilliant on electric though but we are off hookup most of the time. Not very programmable but heats up so quickly, it never seems to be an issue.

Alde is nice, but either Truma or Alde would work for me.

If someone offers a Whale blown air system, either buy earplugs or walk away!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
That is down to the quality of the installation, our blow air heats behind the furnishings and there are hot air vents along the the top of the dash between the screen and blind and we have no cold spots.
Ours is the same. We even have a warm floor (don’t ask me how - but could the double floor have anything to do with that?) As I said before, I have no idea what goes on, but the van is warm from one end to the other. Can’t compare with Alde though, as we’ve never had it, but we’re happy with the hot air.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ours is the same. We even have a warm floor (don’t ask me how - but could the double floor have anything to do with that?) As I said before, I have no idea what goes on, but the van is warm from one end to the other. Can’t compare with Alde though, as we’ve never had it, but we’re happy with the hot air.
I think you might have an electric heated floor Geraldine, Friends go ours with a Hymer like yours have one (y)

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Ours is the same there are outlets/vents in the double floor and the pipework is taken behind the seating area and dash area which radiates the heat through the actual pipework much like Alde, where as Alde have radiators every so often Truma have vents, but if the pipework routing is designed well you shouldn't get cold spots with both systems.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our first van had Truma and we liked it. Before we bought our present Hymer I put a similar question on here because it had Alde heating (dealer specced) and I was worried it would not be as good. The overwhelming advice was "go for it" so we did. Never regretted it and would never buy another one without Alde heating.

We think the Alde is much more "cosy" as it heats the whole fabric of the motorhome. The Truma just heats the air. As somebody said to me, it is the difference between have proper central heating at home rather than just a fan heater. Takes a bit longer to heat up but you can spec an auxiliary blower which helps.

We also like the ability to run it off the engine's cooling system when you are on the move so that the whole of the motorhome is kept warm, not just the cab, and you get hot water.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back