Tips regards Eurotunnel? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes and you can bet there are shop assistants just doing other stuff (tidying up shelves etc!) who could go on the checkouts. One thing that does annoy though is when they announce another till is opening and then in takes 5 minutes minimum for an assistant to finally do it in which time the original queue you were in has probably lessened anyway!

Never at our ALDI,,come to Somercotes,,,Doesn't really matter though when you are retired,,whats the rush..If you want really slow check outs use Sainsburys or Morrisons,,,think most of their staff are older and slower than me,, BUSBY,,,:D2:D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thats the price we have to pay to stop illegals and criminals/terrorists,,,,BUSBY,,
Not quite ... if they put more staff on the booths there wouldn't be such massive queues ... its down to them not wanting to pay the wages IMV!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Went to Calais on day trip with son, he couldn't understand why I was so insistent we got back to Ferry terminal early, firstly French soldiers checking vehicle, then French Customs checking passports, then UK Border control along with random vehicle search, then P & O check in !
Had the dog been with us* then further delay whilst dog scanned and travel permit for him issued.
But I see the delays as in my best interest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Not quite ... if they put more staff on the booths there wouldn't be such massive queues ... its down to them not wanting to pay the wages IMV!
Then they would put their prices up,,its a business not a charity,,not saying its right but thats Capitalism,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Is that another way of saying, rip off?

Like most business's they call it value we call it rip off,,Depends which side of the fence your on,,BUSBY:):)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You're going to be so surprised at the simplicity and speed of the tunnel (not to mention no stress on your dog) . ..
We almost always travel late evening and rarely have any issues getting back ..
Biggest problem we've had is "fluffy taking exception to border control coming onto the van for a look. We had to have a cease fire and tactical withdrawal so they could do their job. All in good humour tho .

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
First time we went through the tunnel I found this video which tells you everything you need to know, enjoy

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
I started using the Eurotunnel because I have a dog, and would never leave it "in the hold" so to speak. Had a small problem with the dog's passport photo, as she kept smiling instead of looking straight ahead. Make sure rabies jab up to date, as it helps. Look out for the "paw prints" in the road leading you to the pet centre.
Everything else has been mentioned above.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Didn't think a photo was a requirement on the passport but helps if it's a true likeness when attached.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
We have a bichon-frise mix who is white and holds a French passport along with a British one. We have a Labrador and we do not take her out of the country as getting her back in as a black person on a Canadian passport would be problematic.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Yes that's the one thing that annoys us too ... why they only have 2 gates open sometimes but have queues back to the check in booths, or even further, is just plain stupid. We tend to book a crossing to come back between 8.00 am and 9.30 am but will be rethinking that as it's one of the busiest times for them.
Was stopped by HMRC at the Chunnel the first time I came back from abroad in the van on my own (wife still working so had flown out and back). I noticed they took a while to pedantically check things (how much booze? 4 or 5 bottles of gin. Well was it 4 or 5? 5 says I. (It wouldn't have mattered if it was 35.)) but managed to release me to ensure I was on the planned train.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yet another vote for the tunnel! We don't have a dog, but know it's a favourite for those that do. We just like the convenience and flexibility.

Never need to worry about storms in the Channel. ;)

Up to four trains an hour - if you miss your slot (eg traffic probs on the M25), they'll just put you on the next one.

All quick and easy-peasey. (y)

Yes, there can occasionally be hick-ups in the system, but that's the same with all types of transport. :whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When coming back last time having gone through check-in we were at the queue for the French customs and there was a Romanian registered Transit van pulling a car trailer with a Merc on it a little way in front in our queue. They must have got 'spooked' as 4 guys got out of the Transit and walked to the car, opened the Merc's boot and let out a stowaway ... they feigned shock and pretended to chase him off ... it was so obvious that they knew he was there and who on earth leaves an expensive car unlocked, even on a trailer!

When we got to the French customs we tried to tell them but they weren't interested, however when we got to the UK passport control we told them and they were all over the van like a rash - apparently this is a common thing now ... don't know what happened but they didn't get on our train AFAIK assuming they were allowed into the UK at all!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When we returned via train on Saturday,:( there was a Volvo trying to "push in" alongside the queue we were in. The white van in front kept the gap too small so Volvo man couldn't get in. I cannot be bothered playing these games, so I left a gap for him to get in. Then French customs decides to check our line, but what Volvo man doesn't see is it is every other vehicle. Sees gap I have left and rapidly shuffles about and changes to another lane. Suspicious or what I think. Any how, white van man now gets stopped because he was the next vehicle. If he had let Volvo man in he would have been on his way. I was about to let customs man know, but he just waived me on by - honest face me.;)
It took exactly 1 hour to move from exit of pet passport to terminal.:sleep:
And they put us on an hour earlier train FoC which also left 15 mins early. No ferry does that I bet and we were in the UK before we should have even left France.(y)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Went one better on Friday; arrived and given an hour earlier slot; round and parked up for 2 mins then left when the notice board said to wait another 2 minutes. First van through and had a laugh with the guy checking our gas and he said if you hurry you will get on the earlier train. Last on but another 20 minutes saved. Was in the terminal on the way over last Monday and it was deserted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back