Tips regards Eurotunnel? (1 Viewer)

Zaki

Free Member
Apr 8, 2018
Funster No
Travelling with 2 dogs & considering using Eurotunnel in my VW campervan for the first time & travelling leisurely through France to Portugal.

A tad wary .... Out of my comfort zone as I have always used Brittany Ferry to Spain. Any tips? Things to look out for / avoid? Friends suggested travelling daytime so I could arrive in France & have plenty of time to get away from the Port area!

Thanks in advance.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Much easier than ferry, fill a flask for refreshments en-route.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
We like to get through to Calais in the evening, cheaper travel and alos a good nights sleep overnight at Citi Europe, giving us a full day to move onwards.
With two dogs I would suggest that 200 miles max a day is long and for the dogs to get some walks?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We use it all the time we have two dogs it’s so easy don’t worry about it.straight off the train and your on the motorway.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Tunnel is very simple, no checks for dogs on way out but on return you just go to the pet centre for checking of passport.
Check website for requirements.
No migrant problems when I`ve been through, just miles of fencing.
I all ways get away from Calais before stopping but other stay at Cite Europe without problem.
Don`t worry, just enjoy (n)(n)(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Euro tunnel is definitely my first choice to travel to France. Agree with @mitzimad about missing the break and breakfast you get with the ferry but we prefer euro tunnel and also travel late afternoon or evening either stopping at citi Europe or the aire at gravelines overnight and starting refreshed the next morning.

OP
OP
Zaki

Zaki

Free Member
Apr 8, 2018
Funster No
Thanks everyone for your replies so far - much appreciated

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Travelling on the train is easy. 35 minutes sitting in your van with your dogs and when the train stops you just drive off and follow whichever road you’ve planned to.
Last time stopped at cite Europe car park in Coquelles for the night, a couple of minutes from the train.it was a Saturday evening so travelling on the Sunday was easy as lorries not allowed on roads on a Sunday in France
Lots of people will post on here with more info for you I’m sure.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
A plus fir later travel so cheaper fare then to Cite Europe. Very good and very safe area and rest for your journey.
Plus stay there on way back too and get your supplies. Don't forget to visit the vets in France between 24 hours and 5 days before your return travel.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Agree with what others have said.
Eurotunnel late afternoon/early evening, which is ‘off peak’ so cheaper, and stop at Cite Europe overnight. Plenty of space just round the corner to walk the dogs on large grassy areas. Carrefour is across the road to stock up on essentials and fuel, then straight onto the motorway south.

Richard.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Agree with all the above. I’m not sure that Beth the dog ever knew she was abroad. She sat with us all the way and had time for a stroll just before starting and less than an hour later on the other side. By contrast she was very disturbed on a Hebridean ferry last summer when she was parked next to cattle.
A favourite crossing of ours was late in the day/overnight and a stay in the Cite Europe aire. We’ve never seen any trouble and it means we’re easily on the motorway system first thing in the morning.
On the way back we often stay at Graveline which is just half-an-hour away. We arrange a10:00ish crossing and that gets us home late afternoon.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Another vote for a late train and overnight at Cité Europe. Shopping in the morning at Carrefour and away you go.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
On your return if you stay at Cite Europe take a stroll with your dogs down towards the Mc Donalds and you will see a small road that leads to another way into the the tunnel sight right by the pet check in. Check it out. If the gate is open you can use that way in on the day of travel home. Its about 150 yds from the aire. If you look on Google maps you will see what I mean. It was open in March when I used it. If not you can continue on down the same road to the other entrance. There is also a map on the fence explaining the route should the gate be closed.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just to confirm on pets, so there's no checks either end on the way out but on return it's done on the French side at the dedicated Pet Check In, or in Dunkirk, as I read elsewhere and copied for my Norway notes:

"In Dunkirk it is done when checking in your vehicle. There is no separate 'pet check in'. So by the time they have checked my passport & booked vehicle in/printed the lane info, I've done the scan & all the operative does is compare chip scan with number held & date, time, etc. There is nothing stamped in the dogs passport."

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
Also Cassette emptying/waste dumping/fresh water at the Carrefour garage on the other side of the shopping centre from the motorhome parking area (50.937012, 1.805738). Get a token from the cashier.

OP
OP
Zaki

Zaki

Free Member
Apr 8, 2018
Funster No
Thanks, really appreciated all the friendly & helpful tips & replies.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just wondering where you usually stay on aires or sites?. I think you said you have a vw campervan remember the aires usually have no toilets/showers it might affect where you decide to stop. We have never had any problems around Calais I would just travel at a time that fits your route and planned stops.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Quick route to French Pet passport centre from Cite Europe, the MH parking is the black circle with white inner marked '1001 Boulevand du Kent':

ET access via Pet Passport gateway.png

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Arriving erly is good. We came through yesterday and after pet control we went straight on the train an hour earlier than booked.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Cite d'Europe overnight - just had someone round (0630) collecting the shopping trolleys (shop doesn't open until 0900) but Chunnel, car park and shopping centre all very quiet. UK side about 10 people in the whole of the terminal and put on earlier train. Such a difference from popular times.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I Have gone off the tunnel a bit lately.

Leaving the UK is fine, but I find it a pain coming home with the queues to get through passport control and immigration.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
President Macron's proposed changes to labour laws have had the expected result in that members of the train "workers" union are revolting. Not sure whether this has yet had any effect on Chunnel operations but be warned, be aware and keep watching the news.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Leaving the UK is fine, but I find it a pain coming home with the queues to get through passport control and immigration.
Yes that's the one thing that annoys us too ... why they only have 2 gates open sometimes but have queues back to the check in booths, or even further, is just plain stupid. We tend to book a crossing to come back between 8.00 am and 9.30 am but will be rethinking that as it's one of the busiest times for them.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Yes that's the one thing that annoys us too ... why they only have 2 gates open sometimes but have queues back to the check in booths, or even further, is just plain stupid. We tend to book a crossing to come back between 8.00 am and 9.30 am but will be rethinking that as it's one of the busiest times for them.
Bit like Aldi and Lidl, only usually 2 of the 6 lanes available are open :mad:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Bit like Aldi and Lidl, only usually 2 of the 6 lanes available are open :mad:
Yes and you can bet there are shop assistants just doing other stuff (tidying up shelves etc!) who could go on the checkouts. One thing that does annoy though is when they announce another till is opening and then in takes 5 minutes minimum for an assistant to finally do it in which time the original queue you were in has probably lessened anyway!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User

That's interesting - it's the complete opposite of our experience.
Crowded, free-for-all when leaving UK, less hectic return from France... perhaps it's down to time of travel?
We usually get 10.20pm from Folkestone, 7.20am from Calais.

I have noticed that it seems busier, with more delays and higher prices - a victim of its own success?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Thats the price we have to pay to stop illegals and criminals/terrorists,,,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back