Time to hit the road. (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Well I've had an offer for my flat up here in Aberdeenshire and I have accepted it. Date of entry set as 30th November so good timing for me as my ferry leaves for Santander on the 21st December.

A few bits and bobs to get sorted but all is going to plan. I have started packing up my flat, thrown out a load of rubbish, got a few bags for charity, put some stuff up on gumtree and getting ready to throw everything else in to storage.

Vans getting Re-mot'd and serviced tomorrow and it is going down to Glenrothes next week to get some work done on the roof. Got to speak to insurance to squeeze a bit longer out of their euro cover but that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the travelling side of it, I am booked in Villasol on over New Year as I have some friends staying in Benidorm at a villa so I will be catching up with them. Apart from that I only have a rough plan of pottering around Spain until the weather gets a bit better further North. I am wanting to travel Germany and eventually catch the ferry to Latvia and travel on to Estonia.

If I didn't do it now I never would have so here goes! Looking forward to it!

EDIT - Not all good news. I will have to move in with mother for 3 weeks. She doesn't half rabbit on sometimes but beggars can't be choosers.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well I've had an offer for my flat up here in Aberdeenshire and I have accepted it. Date of entry set as 30th November so good timing for me as my ferry leaves for Santander on the 21st December.

A few bits and bobs to get sorted but all is going to plan. I have started packing up my flat, thrown out a load of rubbish, got a few bags for charity, put some stuff up on gumtree and getting ready to throw everything else in to storage.

Vans getting Re-mot'd and serviced tomorrow and it is going down to Glenrothes next week to get some work done on the roof. Got to speak to insurance to squeeze a bit longer out of their euro cover but that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the travelling side of it, I am booked in Villasol on over New Year as I have some friends staying in Benidorm at a villa so I will be catching up with them. Apart from that I only have a rough plan of pottering around Spain until the weather gets a bit better further North. I am wanting to travel Germany and eventually catch the ferry to Latvia and travel on to Estonia.

If I didn't do it now I never would have so here goes! Looking forward to it!

EDIT - Not all good news. I will have to move in with mother for 3 weeks. She doesn't half rabbit on sometimes but beggars can't be choosers.
Where in glenrothes?

Please not touring caravan services

If so I wouldn't reccomend him the guy is an untrustworthy chancer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Good luck on your new life
Only for a year or so but thanks all the same.
Where in glenrothes?

Please not touring caravan services

If so I wouldn't reccomend him the guy is an untrustworthy chancer

Oh dear it is them. I couldn't get anyone up here on my time scale and a place in Kircaldy recommended them. I'm down with the van to get a quote for the work on Wednesday.

It's some re-sealing work on the roof but mentioned I might use them for some habitation work as well. Not tied in to anything yet obviously.

You had a bad experience with this guy?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Only for a year or so but thanks all the same.

Oh dear it is them. I couldn't get anyone up here on my time scale and a place in Kircaldy recommended them. I'm down with the van to get a quote for the work on Wednesday.

It's some re-sealing work on the roof but mentioned I might use them for some habitation work as well. Not tied in to anything yet obviously.

You had a bad experience with this guy?
I did

They undertook service work for me last year. Damaged fuel filter housing and claimed it was already damaged , charged for work not agreed.
Was supposed to do a full hab check which he didn't do in the end he charged more than double what was quoted.

That was in December last year.

I've since heard a few other complaints regarding his hab work

My sister had used him for a few years before I did and it was on her recommendation I used him.
He has since ( March) damaged a wheel hub on her van during a service and again claimed it was like that and refused to accept liability.
She won't be using him again.

I'd perhaps be wary especially on an older van ...He seems heavy handed and when he breaks things it gets costly.

My filter housing he broke cost me the £289 he charged me to replace it and my sisters wheel hub cost over £300 for another garage to replace it

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
@Northernraider any suggestions of somewhere to put the van in for a bit of work? Mostly waterproofing work but would prefer somewhere that does hab stuff to.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
@Northernraider any suggestions of somewhere to put the van in for a bit of work? Mostly waterproofing work but would prefer somewhere that does hab stuff to.
Unfortunately I don't know anywhere that's how I used that clown last year.

What extent are you talking about waterproof work?
I mean the skylights are easy enough to reseal.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
You wanted some part-time work Tam.
With your skills you could help out @monzer and earn a couple of bob in the process. You're both winners.

Richard.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You wanted some part-time work Tam.
With your skills you could help out @monzer and earn a couple of bob in the process. You're both winners.

Richard.
I've no doubt I could help him with resealing skylights etc but not sure if that's all he wants to seal.

And the hab side well you really need a gas fitter to check that properly although to be honest I've not had one yet that's fixed anything I'm not sure I'll bother with hab checks on my hymer...everything works fine and I've carbon monoxide detectors fitted etc

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if your reasonably clued up on general building i think hab checks are a waste of time unless its in the conditions for your warranty

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Unfortunately I don't know anywhere that's how I used that clown last year.

What extent are you talking about waterproof work?
I mean the skylights are easy enough to reseal.

I'm resealing all the skylights but it's mainly where the over cab bed meets the main roof structure that needs the work. It's in a bit of a mess.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
For any caravan/motorhome repairs done to an excellent standard contact ,
Micheal Kiczun
Falkirk
Tel - 01324 636500
great friendly helpful guy with lots of know how, restores vintage caravans, all types of caravans and motorhome to a very high standard, highly recommend him.
BTW did the Hieki skylights on an Autotrail Chieftian we owned did a brilliant job at reasonable cost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back