Thule Omnistep troubleshooting (3 Viewers)

Oct 22, 2018
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC by Shire
Exp
Since 2019
The slide-out Omnistep on our 2019 PVC has stopped working. No hint of any issue when we last used the van last week or any time previously. Yesterday I pressed the rocker switch to deploy the step and nothing happened. I've checked the 25A fuse for the step in the 12V distribution board and that's OK (checked visually and with a multi-meter). I took the step rocker switch out, there are no loose connections on its 5 terminals and behind the switch is a relay and sounder. From reading the excellent tech document on this forum and the wiring diagram I have for the CBE step rocker switch which numbers the terminals I don't believe the van's fridge relay is in any way involved whilst trying to operate the step when the engine isn't running, so the problem must be with the step rocker switch, its relay or the step motor (failed or somehow the gears are jammed).

My next troubleshooting step (no pun intended) will be get under the van and check for voltage across the pair of cables that feed the step motor whilst my other half operates the rocker switch. I know the motor operates by the switch/relay reversing polarity to drive the step out/in so I'd expect to see voltage when the switch is pressed up or down and nothing when the switch is at rest.

Does this sound like a logical way to prove whether the rocker switch and its relay are ok/not ok?

If the above IS a valid test and there is voltage when the switch is pressed then as far as I can see whilst I'm under the van I can test the step independent of all the van electrics by temporarily running a pair of cables from the leisure battery and touching them briefly to the 2 terminals on the back of the step motor.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Yes - You can test the step independently from the rest of the van electrics as you suggest.

Screenshot_20240316-173241.png

Rather than trying to use your 12v van battery, a 9v PP3 (e.g. smoke alarm) battery will get the step to operate temporarily - just press the relevant step wires onto the battery terminals.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022
Stelling Minnis, Canterbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
The slide-out Omnistep on our 2019 PVC has stopped working. No hint of any issue when we last used the van last week or any time previously. Yesterday I pressed the rocker switch to deploy the step and nothing happened. I've checked the 25A fuse for the step in the 12V distribution board and that's OK (checked visually and with a multi-meter). I took the step rocker switch out, there are no loose connections on its 5 terminals and behind the switch is a relay and sounder. From reading the excellent tech document on this forum and the wiring diagram I have for the CBE step rocker switch which numbers the terminals I don't believe the van's fridge relay is in any way involved whilst trying to operate the step when the engine isn't running, so the problem must be with the step rocker switch, its relay or the step motor (failed or somehow the gears are jammed).

My next troubleshooting step (no pun intended) will be get under the van and check for voltage across the pair of cables that feed the step motor whilst my other half operates the rocker switch. I know the motor operates by the switch/relay reversing polarity to drive the step out/in so I'd expect to see voltage when the switch is pressed up or down and nothing when the switch is at rest.

Does this sound like a logical way to prove whether the rocker switch and its relay are ok/not ok?

If the above IS a valid test and there is voltage when the switch is pressed then as far as I can see whilst I'm under the van I can test the step independent of all the van electrics by temporarily running a pair of cables from the leisure battery and touching them briefly to the 2 terminals on the back of the step motor.
Has happened to us. Found the cause to be water getting into box where power to step is. I dried it out and sealed around box no trouble since.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T
Oct 22, 2018
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC by Shire
Exp
Since 2019
Have you confirmed that there is power getting as far as the 25a step fuse ? (from the leisure battery, if you have a CBE DS-xxx distribution box)
Good point, yes I did thanks. Sorry I forgot to mention; I put the multi meter across the cables that connect to terminals 4 and 5 on the back of the rocker switch (which is the feed and the earth for opening the step I think) and when I pulled the 25A fuse there was no power so I'm happy that the fuse is the right one and that power is getting to the rocker switch ok.

OP
OP
T
Oct 22, 2018
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC by Shire
Exp
Since 2019
Has happened to us. Found the cause to be water getting into box where power to step is. I dried it out and sealed around box no trouble since.
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind when I get under the van.

OP
OP
T
Oct 22, 2018
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC by Shire
Exp
Since 2019
Yes - You can test the step independently from the rest of the van electrics as you suggest.

View attachment 876122
Rather than trying to use your 12v van battery, a 9v PP3 (e.g. smoke alarm) battery will get the step to operate temporarily - just press the relevant step wires onto the battery terminals.
Thanks, that's handy to know

Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
This has happened to us with both our Autosleeper and our Burstner. Happened when step was out and wouldn’t go in as well as in and wouldn’t come out.

First time in the Autosleeper and some panic and checking electrics in the end it was all very simple, it would go in or out with just a push or a pull with my toe cap to kick into life. It was sticking and just needed some grease on the moving parts.

Second time in the Burstner, exact same issue with same Thule step, same fix :)

Niges58!

Free Member
Mar 17, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Bavaria i740

I too have the same problem on a 2019 motorhome.
It works when it wants, but if I retract the step by starting the engine, it refuses to work until it wants in its own time, which can be after several journeys.
I've done everything you mentioned, plus had an electrician out.
I've replaced the rocker switch too! Plus stripped the step and cleaned it three times.
I've decided there is a loose connection somewhere near to the warning alarm up front, or a relay.
So far I haven't found it 😡

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
AS Winchcombe
Exp
Not so new now
This has happened to us with both our Autosleeper and our Burstner. Happened when step was out and wouldn’t go in as well as in and wouldn’t come out.

First time in the Autosleeper and some panic and checking electrics in the end it was all very simple, it would go in or out with just a push or a pull with my toe cap to kick into life. It was sticking and just needed some grease on the moving parts.

Second time in the Burstner, exact same issue with same Thule step, same fix :)
Same issue with ours, sprayed the push button and the step folding mechanism with WD40 and all worked fine.

Jan 4, 2023
North Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise carrera 4
Exp
Since 2011
Wd40 is great for freeing up stuff. Don't forget to spray with actual lubricant afterwards though, as the wd40 will evaporate and leave everything dry again.

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000

Could very likely be the motor in the step itself
(not in a good working environment, dust, damp, rain water etc)
and a step removal and motor strip and clean is needed,
plus its a chance to grease the slider mechanism,
and you will be good to go
this is assuming when your test of the 12 volt supply system all is good

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Could very likely be the motor in the step itself
(not in a good working environment, dust, damp, rain water etc)
and a step removal and motor strip and clean is needed,
plus its a chance to grease the slider mechanism,
and you will be good to go
this is assuming when your test of the 12 volt supply system all is good

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969
Is the advice to lubricate the sliding parts correct?
Grease or oil will collect the grime from the road and becomes quite abrasive.

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Yes brush on grease with a paint brush all over the moving bits in the mechanism
it will get dirty , yes
but no rust and it keeps the moving bits " healthy "

Apr 14, 2018
Gillingham, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i482
Exp
20 years
You are correct.

If you have a drop-down with exposed meshing gears it is easy enough to wire brush them clean with no lubricant (Although it's tempting !)

With the dreaded sliding abominations, like ours, they wear over time and judder in and out if you're lucky, one side jamming and preventing a smooth operation. I have successfully dismantled and added a washer on each side to take up the wear.

This lasted for a while and I am now lubricating the sides with light grease until I next attack it!!

The next plan, before I give up and buy a new one, is to source some nylon strips and attach to the runners.

Nylon is an excellent self lubricating material which won't attract the grit.

We"ll see.

Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
Having power at the switch might just be you have signal voltage. But if the relay is faulty or the higher amp power feed to the relay is faulty? Then you’ve no power to the motor.

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969
I attach the user manual which may be useful for some, and it includes instructions on how to make the step a manual operation.

Attachments

• step manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 83
Feb 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1974
Hi all
I assume that you can hear the motor running !!! Had this fault and found sheared pin inside motor casing designed to shear under excessive load before the motor burns out.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
I lubricate the sides of the step and the runners with Dry PTFE spray. This obviously dries and does not attract grit and road particles.

Jun 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Quartet
When this happened to ours, it was mechanical. There's a pinion driven by the motor which had seized on its axle. My solution (still working 6 years on) was to use the plastic gearbox case as a 'bearing' and have the whole assembly rotate. Wish I'd found the Funsters back then: I sought advice from another forum (with the same initials...) and was treated like a moron for asking... The gearbox is a 'sealed unit': opened it with a Stanley knife, got things moving, refilled it with grease, stuck top back on with Araldite.

OP
OP
T
Oct 22, 2018
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC by Shire
Exp
Since 2019
Update: first, thanks for all the responses.

What I thought was an electrical plug at the back of the step is just a snap-in elbow shroud to keep inside the step casing clean. I've now dropped the step from underneath the van but can't disconnect the cables as I don't know how to get inside the case to progress further. The installation manual doesn't cover how to get inside the case to disconnect the 4 cables so I can get the step on a bench to test. I'm reluctant to start removing screws in case I make things worse.
If anyone knows which screws to remove or what to do to enable access to the inside of the case please let me know.

OP
OP
T
Oct 22, 2018
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC by Shire
Exp
Since 2019
I attach the user manual which may be useful for some, and it includes instructions on how to make the step a manual operation.
Thanks, I have the installation manual but it looks to me that the step has to be open first before you can get to the parts to be removed to make it a manual step, I've tried pulling it out but it doesn't budge.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Update: first, thanks for all the responses.

What I thought was an electrical plug at the back of the step is just a snap-in elbow shroud to keep inside the step casing clean. I've now dropped the step from underneath the van but can't disconnect the cables as I don't know how to get inside the case to progress further. The installation manual doesn't cover how to get inside the case to disconnect the 4 cables so I can get the step on a bench to test. I'm reluctant to start removing screws in case I make things worse.
If anyone knows which screws to remove or what to do to enable access to the inside of the case please let me know.
You can't still test the step in isolation though to see if that is where the problem lies rather than the rest of the van wiring / relays / fuses, etc. by accessing the step wiring at the switch. Disconnect the red and black wires from the switch and apply 12v (or 9v from a PP3 battery) to them. In one polarity the step will extend, and in the other retract.

OP
OP
T
Oct 22, 2018
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC by Shire
Exp
Since 2019
You can't still test the step in isolation though to see if that is where the problem lies rather than the rest of the van wiring / relays / fuses, etc. by accessing the step wiring at the switch. Disconnect the red and black wires from the switch and apply 12v (or 9v from a PP3 battery) to them. In one polarity the step will extend, and in the other retract.
Hi all
I assume that you can hear the motor running !!! Had this fault and found sheared pin inside motor casing designed to shear under excessive load before the motor burns out.
Thanks but no, no reaction at all when the switch is pressed hence looking for ways to bypass the van's electrics and run temporary power to the back of the switch and/or check for voltage at the step end of the wiring.

OP
OP
T
Oct 22, 2018
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC by Shire
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks. Tomorrow if the weather is OK I'll try to get to where the 4 wires from the step come up inside the van so I can try for a power test in isolation from the relay and switch, unless I can find out how to get inside the step case to get to where the 4 wires terminate inside the case.

OP
OP
T
Oct 22, 2018
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC by Shire
Exp
Since 2019
Having power at the switch might just be you have signal voltage. But if the relay is faulty or the higher amp power feed to the relay is faulty? Then you’ve no power to the motor.
Thanks, I agree hence why I'm trying to get to the terminals for the step motor inside the step case, so as to bypass all the van electricals and even the 4 wires that go from the relay and switch into the back of the step case, to try to determine what I need to replace etc.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Have a look at this video here -

It shows the wires going into the step switch (at around the 10 minute mark). The wires going to the step motor are orange and purple in this model (from memory this is the same as my step, rather than red and black as in the Thule manual previously referred to). Pull the purple and orange wires off the switch terminals and apply 12v to them and the step will retract / extend depending on the polarity supplied. There is no need to dismantle the step casing to get to the wires to test it independently. Just apply power to the orange and purple cables behind the switch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back