Thousands Spent But Still A DPF Fault!? You Won't Believe The Cause! Peugeot Boxer (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The worrying aspect from this video is that the dealer who relieved the guy of loads of money didn't have a frigging clue, just kept selling the owner parts he didn’t need. The expensive diagnostic machine was the lifesaver.🤑
But surely it should be a known fact of replacing a mirror, must be getting on for hundreds a day replaced, does it happen to every one?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Unless they buy the genuine OEM mirror then the outside temperature sensor isn’t fitted, hence the owner wouldn’t have known when he busted his mirror, what hassle he had to come.

My point is the numpties who kept selling and charging fitting prices also didn’t know that the outside temp sensor would affect the DPF or did they?.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Dealers should have fault diagnosis trees for this. One of which would state that regen only happens with a temperature sensor reading in a suitable range.

If people think this is esoteric and modern cars are overcomplicated, what about the oddities of vacuum leaks, or the fun that could be had with carbs that would be fine until things got a bit warm in traffic.

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Is it not possible to remove the temp sensor from the broken mirror and transplant it into the new one?

Ernesto

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I’m no mechanic ….but a vehicle with a persistent fault and no outside temperature showing at the same time, is a massive clue.
If the owner has taken the time to fix the (relatively simple) outside temperature issue, he would have inadvertently fixed the dpf issue as well

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Not every fiat that has a dpf has an external temperature senor!

Unless, one is fitted and it’s not wired through to the instrument panel.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I spent 3k at a main commercial merc dealers a few years ago, they just replaced everything and still didn’t fix the problem, took it to a local fleet operator who sorted it in minutes, find a man that knows what he’s doing and he’s worth his weight in gold! And for what it’s worth, after spending two days stripping and rebuilding my Jabasco electric bog, I am now a chief expert in sh*t houses, got a problem, call me :giggle: (y)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
The worrying aspect from this video is that the dealer who relieved the guy of loads of money didn't have a frigging clue, just kept selling the owner parts he didn’t need. The expensive diagnostic machine was the lifesaver.🤑
Was not just one dealer... chap in video said owner had been to garage after garage after garage.. suggesting multiple incompetent thieving useless garages.

Ernesto

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Not every fiat that has a dpf has an external temperature senor!

Unless, one is fitted and it’s not wired through to the instrument panel.
But if one isn’t fitted as standard , you wouldn’t get a “nil” readout on the instrument panel ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
But if one isn’t fitted as standard , you wouldn’t get a “nil” readout on the instrument panel ?
I guess my point is , if not all models have the temp sensor but do have dpf the dpf settings must be set to compensate.
Therefore it must be possible to override the sensor impact on the operation of the dpf.

You would expect main dealer service/ repair centres to know these things.
Wouldn’t we 😉

Ernesto

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
I love people like you, expert after the event, god love you sir!:giggle::giggle::drinks:(y)
It’s not about being wise after the event … more a reminder to keep on top of the small stuff as it crops up, as sometimes small things can turn into big things.

Oct 27, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Mercedes love the trial and error approach
When our 2005 Frankia, based on a 416cdi had a fault that made it go into limp home mode, I thought they were very helpful. As it was undriveable, a mobile technician came to our home and diagnosed the fault. Had the local HGV centre replace the ABS ECU and all’s been well since.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
When our 2005 Frankia, based on a 416cdi had a fault that made it go into limp home mode, I thought they were very helpful. As it was undriveable, a mobile technician came to our home and diagnosed the fault. Had the local HGV centre replace the ABS ECU and all’s been well since.
Not my Experience of running small fleets of Mercedes, vans and light trucks.

Thank and three motorhomes on a Sprinter base.

If I told you, you wouldn't believe me

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I dont know if The Fiats have a temp sensor in the offside wing mirror, need to have a looksee for the small hole underneath I guess, unless someone on here knows?
What I am concerned about is that I, like many, have fitted very tight fitting Mirror Guards, I am hoping that the guy that designed them has put a hole where needed so the temp gauge can get a clear reading of the outside temp.:unsure:
I would make every Peugeot van owner aware of this asap, as indeed the Mirror Guard company should have if there is not a hole that is.
LES

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
What I don't understand is this, the mechanic has £6000 of kit that doesn't tell him the temp sensor is missing/not working.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I spent 3k at a main commercial merc dealers a few years ago, they just replaced everything and still didn’t fix the problem, took it to a local fleet operator who sorted it in minutes, find a man that knows what he’s doing and he’s worth his weight in gold! And for what it’s worth, after spending two days stripping and rebuilding my Jabasco electric bog, I am now a chief expert in sh*t houses, got a problem, call me :giggle: (y)
You told me Mercedes never went wrong🤣🤣🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back