image.jpeg

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have just returned from Cyprus, while there I drove more that 500 miles on motorways single lane and mud roads. In that time I didn't see a single speed camera. The use of phones while driving is commonplace yet I didn't witness a single road incident. Driving was totally natural with full concentration on the road and other road users rather than facing distractions the likes of this new cash cow. Driving was an enjoyable experience again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Oi! Buttons,you forgot to put the fishing rod at the end of your post...........
Or are you seriously suggesting that using a mobile phone whilst driving is OK in the U.K. as well as Cyprus?

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I use mine as a satnav and it sits in a holder fixed to the windscreen. Am I allowed to touch it to change route if there is a problem ahead, I wonder?
Apparentley, yes. You should stop and reprogram your sat nav, unless you have voice control.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The looney left want to live in an ideal world, they even believe it's achievable. So we all have to go down this road of total surveillance and control ? how predictable.. And how depressing.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Oi! Buttons,you forgot to put the fishing rod at the end of your post...........
Or are you seriously suggesting that using a mobile phone whilst driving is OK in the U.K. as well as Cyprus?
Just stating a few facts on how driving used to be in this country before motorists became a revenue source in their own right Podney. How can driving be safe if all the driver is locking out for is hidden speed limit signs, yellow box junctions, hidden speed cameras and forgetting to turn their phones off before setting off. All these cause considerable stress which shows in some drivers road rage.
In my mind making a phone call of any kind while driving is not beneficial and many drivers just cant handle more that one task at a time whether they are touching their phones or not, you must have seen them slowing down and making silly mistakes while Gesticulating with their hands while talking on a hands free.
Lets not create another motorist cash cow. Lets ban all or any type of phone communication while at the wheel with a driving ban if found to be doing it.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
For God's sake don't sake don't scratch you nose or

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
About time this came in. I have no problem with using cameras to enforce the law out on the streets - if you want to use the roads, you have to abide by the rules.

Driving around in 2 tonnes of metal on our congested roads, whilst trying to text, email, instagram etc etc is just plain stupid. This is a cost-effective and relatively simple way to enforce a law, that shouldn't need enforcing really

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
About time this came in. I have no problem with using cameras to enforce the law out on the streets - if you want to use the roads, you have to abide by the rules.

Driving around in 2 tonnes of metal on our congested roads, whilst trying to text, email, instagram etc etc is just plain stupid. This is a cost-effective and relatively simple way to enforce a law, that shouldn't need enforcing really
Including all hands free of course. If not why not?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have just returned from Cyprus, while there I drove more that 500 miles on motorways single lane and mud roads. In that time I didn't see a single speed camera. The use of phones while driving is commonplace yet I didn't witness a single road incident. Driving was totally natural with full concentration on the road and other road users rather than facing distractions the likes of this new cash cow. Driving was an enjoyable experience again.
This is what we found in France this year, a lot have been on here complaining about the 80k limit but I thought it was the best thing we have seen lately, everyone seems to be keeping to it even the lorry's, , no pushing you to go faster and everything just seems to just sail along, you don't have to keep looking for speed signs as you know it's 80 or 50 inside village signs, simples.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This is what we found in France this year, a lot have been on here complaining about the 80k limit but I thought it was the best thing we have seen lately, everyone seems to be keeping to it even the lorry's, , no pushing you to go faster and everything just seems to just sail along, you don't have to keep looking for speed signs as you know it's 80 or 50 inside village signs, simples.
Great in your "ambulance chaser" that rings a bell:Eeek:. Not so good when driving my Audi S3 though....;)

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Including all hands free of course. If not why not?

Its entirely up to you as the driver... under current laws, if you have a pileup and kill someone because you weren't paying attention, its no defence to say "sorry, I wasn't on the phone - I was adjusting the radio when I ran over the child/old person/pedestrian ....etc etc"
You would stand a good chance of being charged with causing death by careless driving, and if there were aggravating circumstances, potentially death by dangerous driving, which means you ain't going home - its straight to jail..

Trouble is, texting takes a lot more concentration than adjusting the volume, but people are very precious about their phones and so the Govt is having to act.
Its (still) a free country... but actions have consequences

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Its entirely up to you as the driver... under current laws, if you have a pileup and kill someone because you weren't paying attention, its no defence to say "sorry, I wasn't on the phone - I was adjusting the radio when I ran over the child/old person/pedestrian ....etc etc"
You would stand a good chance of being charged with causing death by careless driving, and if there were aggravating circumstances, potentially death by dangerous driving, which means you ain't going home - its straight to jail..

Trouble is, texting takes a lot more concentration than adjusting the volume, but people are very precious about their phones and so the Govt is having to act.
Its (still) a free country... but actions have consequences
Is this a bit of a cop out Ernesto. Should we ban all phone calls while at the wheel or not.(y)

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Watched a report on this earlier this morning. The lady on screen has a phone that can be put into “Drive Mode” that switches the phone off and gives callers a message that she is driving and will contact them later. She was suggesting that technology could be put into cars to do this. As for the radio, both our vehicles have the controls on the steering wheel.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014

That's odd that. The three weeks I spent there last month sticking religiously to the 80 kph speed limit were often really stressful as lorries were constantly tail gating me trying to make me go faster and car after car flew past me like I was standing still. The only people I could see sticking to the limit were the drivers of those little fart box voitures sans permits!

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Is this a bit of a cop out Ernesto. Should we ban all phone calls while at the wheel or not.(y)
No cop out as I understand it? The law already covers anything you do as a driver that’s deemed careless or dangerous.

The issue of mobile phones is just one aspect - whereas most people over time have come to accept speeding and drinking are too dangerous, there’s still a large number that think texting is fine. So they’re clamping down on this.

As a driver you are free to choose what risks you take. Some people will chose to take none. Others will take more

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Phone calls are already “banned” if it causes you to drive carelessly or dangerously

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
No cop out as I understand it? The law already covers anything you do as a driver that’s deemed careless or dangerous.

The issue of mobile phones is just one aspect - whereas most people over time have come to accept speeding and drinking are too dangerous, there’s still a large number that think texting is fine. So they’re clamping down on this.

As a driver you are free to choose what risks you take. Some people will chose to take none. Others will take more
So should we ban all phone calls while at the wheel or not.:cool: I think dark glasses can be dangerous should we ban them too...:cool:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
And as for handling tens of tons of vehicle in three dimensions with one hand and controlling the thrust with another while looking at a map, talking into a microphone and not slowing down too much then one might fail one's 6-month test.

Good job they have not extended the law to airline pilots, or nobody would be flying.

Geoff

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with modern technology giving us voice controlled calling, texting and navigation there is no need to touch your phone. I have google, alexa and tomtom available in my vehicles. just say "ok google, navigate to ......" or "alexa, call ......" or "alexa, text .....". tomtom takes a little bit of learning though

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Lets ban all or any type of phone communication while at the wheel with a driving ban if found to be doing it.
Yep, I'm up for that, unless it's an emergency (999, 111, 112, 101) which can be programmed in to a speed dial button.

She was suggesting that technology could be put into cars to do this.
I've always thought this myself, ie, the phone could be programmed into "Emergency" mode only, whilst the engine is running.

The three weeks I spent there last month sticking religiously to the 80 kph speed limit were often really stressful as lorries were constantly tail gating me trying to make me go faster and car after car flew past me like I was standing still.
I find that too, especially on the N10. I have to assume the truckers know exactly where the speed camera's are, cos that's the only time they are not pushing me, in an 80Kph limit. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back