This is good hope it works (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As a driver you are free to choose what risks you take. Some people will chose to take none. Others will take more
That may be OK if it only you who is put at risk by your actions. But an entirely unacceptable suggestion when other road users are put at risk by your actions, as is the case when you drive on public roads.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Watched a young woman with a pushchair walk straight out into the road in Spain yesterday,,luckily the car stopped in time,,she never d
broke step,,She was on her phone and never noticed..BUSBY.
Yep just watch the mothers taking or collecting their children to school, one hand on the pushchair and the other on the phone, kids running all over the place.. Accidents just waiting to happen.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Why does one need the phone whilst driving? AFAIK they all have an answerphone capability.

They don’t anymore. The phones screen appears on the big info screen on the dash, so they can make and receive their calls, and text messages via that. Making this a stupid pointless law, that no one polices, like so many other laws.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
They don’t anymore. The phones screen appears on the big info screen on the dash, so they can make and receive their calls, and text messages via that. Making this a stupid pointless law, that no one polices, like so many other laws.

Many vehicles don't have big info screens on the dash to see messages.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Lucky you didn't see any accidents; Cyprus has a much worse accident and fatality rate than the UK: In 2018, for every 1 million inhabitants in the , there were 28 car accident fatalities. Cyprus, 57. Perhaps the UK's strategy isn't about making money but saving lives.

View attachment 343009

Statistics Matthew were would we be without them. What exactly do they consider when coming up with these figures. Rural Cyprus until recently had a third world driving mentality. This is now adjusting itself but without the cash cow mentallity of the law makers.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We have a Conservative government in charge so how on earth can you blame this on left wing? Also grow up and stop using insulting language to put down people with different beliefs to you. God forbid we all live in a safer world with less needless deaths csused by dangerous drivers!
All parties are loony left to me. Just my opinion. And don't tell me to grow up, it's rude and not allowed on here ??

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Statistics Matthew were would we be without them. What exactly do they consider when coming up with these figures. Rural Cyprus until recently had a third world driving mentality. This is now adjusting itself but without the cash cow mentallity of the law makers.

Without statistics? You'd be less informed.

They possibly consider that the UK has safer roads than Cyprus in 2018. Perhaps it is less of a cash cow and more a tax on those who break the law. In many cases, it is quite easy to avoid having to pay ... and safer too.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
That may be OK if it only you who is put at risk by your actions. But an entirely unacceptable suggestion when other road users are put at risk by your actions, as is the case when you drive on public roads.

The risk of only quoting 2 lines of my post, is you lose the whole context. I have repeatedly said throughout this thread that I support the idea and this isn't what I'm suggesting at all

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Without statistics? You'd be less informed.

They possibly consider that the UK has safer roads than Cyprus in 2018. Perhaps it is less of a cash cow and more a tax on those who break the law. In many cases, it is quite easy to avoid having to pay ... and safer too.
Not had a fine in many decades but quite easy it is absolutely not Mattyjwr.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Not had a fine in many decades but quite easy it is absolutely not Mattyjwr.

Congrats. So who does get fined? Those who use their phones when driving? No problem then. Perhaps it will help them remember how dangerous it is and help keep the roads safer for other users.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I carry a phone when out and about but only because swmbo insists though it is switched off while I am driving.

Perhaps it is an age thing or a man thing but I do not believe that I am sufficiently important to be contactable every minute of every day nor do I feel the need to keep the world informed of every bowel movement.

Or perhaps I should have stayed in the 20th century where I started.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Perhaps it is time to confiscate the phone and give them the sim back. Or the option of 6 points and £500 fine

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We have a Conservative government in charge so how on earth can you blame this on left wing? Also grow up and stop using insulting language to put down people with different beliefs to you. God forbid we all live in a safer world with less needless deaths csused by dangerous drivers!
Think you need to abide by rule one. Insulting posters is not allowed even by left wing loonies.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Sorry my mistake - pls substitute "of" for "have" in my final sentence.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Think you need to abide by rule one. Insulting posters is not allowed even by left wing loonies.
Calling lefties loonies is incredibly insulting and i thought the rules were no politics in the motorhome sections so who is breaking the rules?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My people tell me that I must get better at making phone calls and texts on the move or I won't pass my interview for gaining Portuguese citizenship...

...also I have to cut down my use of my indicators and not take off my sunglasses just because it is night time.

JJ :cool:
You need to attend the BMW owners driving school JJ... soon sort you out

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Perhaps it is an age thing or a man thing but I do not believe that I am sufficiently important to be contactable every minute of every day nor do I feel the need to keep the world informed of every bowel movement.
That says it all for me too. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
And as for handling tens of tons of vehicle in three dimensions with one hand and controlling the thrust with another while looking at a map, talking into a microphone and not slowing down too much then one might fail one's 6-month test.

Good job they have not extended the law to airline pilots, or nobody would be flying.

Geoff
Ok, I know that you had your tongue firmly in your cheek when you posted that, but .....

1. slightly more rigorous training involved
2. not many clueless pedestrians to worry about
3. most of the time, someone else is keeping other traffic at least a mile away
4. the person in the adjoining seat is actively helping when needed & knows when it's not appropriate to bang on about when the MiL is going to visit.

... and motorbikes & the old invalid carriages have hand throttles too.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Hmm, there's only one way this is going... in a hundred years we'll have cameras in our homes. A bit drastic? Give it time ?

It’s already happening. Most (if not all) modern laptops and tablets, and all smartphones and iPads have built in cameras and microphones. Google (Android OS suppliers) and Apple (iOS) heavily promote the use of voice control, If you choose to use Google Voice or Apple Siri, then everything you say while using these services is recorded on their respective servers forever - for Artificial Intelligence (AI) training purposes - allegedly!
I’m not sure whether similar recordings are being made of video data, but why wouldn’t they if they have the means? (Thinking of Apple’s FaceTime, Microsoft’s Skype, Facebook’s WhatsApp, etc.)
Why is it that so many apps demand access to your device’s camera and microphone? (Not to mention your location, messages, stored files, contacts, calendar, etc.) Obviously, some apps need such access but it is difficult to see where others do.
I have no criminal record and yet still, my fingerprints, eye retina pattern, face photo and voice print identifications are currently with various organisations across the Internet. So far, all they’re missing is a sample of my DNA.
In a nutshell, your data and information on their servers. What a comforting thought. Not!
However, if you wish to use the technology (which I do), then you have to accept this highly invasive surveillance into your life. The only alternative would be to resist all forms of modern communication and digital storage methods - which surely would be all but impossible in this day and age.
Rant over.
btw Don’t text and drive, eh? Those who’s lives you save will be hugely grateful. (y)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
how is tapping a mobile on a holder any different to changing gear or fiddling with a radio
If you need to look at your gear stick you should not be driving and as for the radio, well all I know is ours can be used with hand controls on the steering wheel & without looking.
pulling the sun visor down.
Does doing that really need concentration!
I wish they would use that technology to catch criminals, but maybe there is no money in that, just extra cost to house water and feed them :rolleyes:
So you think it's not criminal to plough into a families car and kill them, if you can live with that carry on.

Lucky you didn't see any accidents; Cyprus has a much worse accident and fatality rate than the UK: In 2018, for every 1 million inhabitants in the , there were 28 car accident fatalities. Cyprus, 57. Perhaps the UK's strategy isn't about making money but saving lives.

View attachment 343009

Very well said.

I know many of you will have seen this video, but it says all you need to know about the wrongs & rights involving the use of mobiles when driving........if you still disagree just put your self in the shoes of the family left behind, if you STILL disagree after that, I pray I never pass within a mile of you on the roads.

I am not holier than thou and I am certainly not perfect, nobody is, but I just do not bother with my phone when i am driving, even though I can answer with a flick of a switch on the steering wheel.
I cannot see how anyone needs to have a distraction that takes your attention away from the road.
A glance here & there is normal, we do it when we use the mirrors and certain things become 2nd nature.
Would you do it on your driving test, no you would not!

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I use mine as a satnav and it sits in a holder fixed to the windscreen. Am I allowed to touch it to change route if there is a problem ahead, I wonder?
Hi Janine no you are not allowed to touch it as it is STILL a phone and as far as plod is concerned you are using a mobile phone and they will issue you with a nice invoice for the police mans ball.
But one could argue that changing the radio station is just as distracting as most people use their hands to retune (I use the buttons on my steering wheel) as for speed cameras I think that some of them are hidden to well IE behind signs like the one on the m62 just after jct 20 west bound you can't see it when coming down hill until you are almost at the sign and if there's is a truck at that point you have had it "FLASH"

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hi Janine no you are not allowed to touch it as it is STILL a phone and as far as plod is concerned you are using a mobile phone and they will issue you with a nice invoice for the police mans ball.
But one could argue that changing the radio station is just as distracting as most people use their hands to retune (I use the buttons on my steering wheel) as for speed cameras I think that some of them are hidden to well IE behind signs like the one on the m62 just after jct 20 west bound you can't see it when coming down hill until you are almost at the sign and if there's is a truck at that point you have had it "FLASH"
Maybe a grey area the moment.

Found this on the government website:

I suppose touching the screen might be deemed as not hands free.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

As I understand the law about phone use it is about using a communication device. If one uses a mobile phone as a satnav, with the maps downloaded in the memory, and just receiving a GPS signal one is not communicating with anybody or anything - one is only receiving, just like a radio receiver, which is also not illegal. It could be operated like this with the phone function disabled or where there is no phone signal, so it would not be a phone.

Touching controls of any sort whether it be heating controls, light switches, radio or satnav will be a matter of whether that 'distraction' means one is not in control of the vehicle. But that is not an offence connected with the specific law on phone usage.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back