This is good hope it works (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
So should we ban all phone calls while at the wheel or not.:cool: I think dark glasses can be dangerous should we ban them too...:cool:
Yes, all non emergency calls. I also think a lot of drivers are dangerous and should not be on the road but only the guy in the mirror seems to agree with me. :Grin:

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Yep, I'm up for that, unless it's an emergency (999, 111, 112, 101) which can be programmed in to a speed dial button.

I've always thought this myself, ie, the phone could be programmed into "Emergency" mode only, whilst the engine is running.

I find that too, especially on the N10. I have to assume the truckers know exactly where the speed camera's are, cos that's the only time they are not pushing me, in an 80Kph limit. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :)
I find the easiest way to drive on 80k speed limit roads is to sit back a safe distance behind a lorry. As Jock says, they know the speed limits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Smoking should be banned as well, how can you light a cigarette never mind hold it while driving, and what about pets and children, they should be in sealed units to prevent distracting the driver, and whoah betide you if you speak to anyone while driving.

Is THIS what we face next?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
So should we ban all phone calls while at the wheel or not.:cool: I think dark glasses can be dangerous should we ban them too...:cool:

I think banning all calls is probably be too far at the moment.... it would be very very tough to police and I don't think its anywhere near as dangerous as operating a phone.

As I keep on saying - under current laws, if you're having a call (hands free) and plough into the back of someone, you will have to answer to the police as to whether you were in full control, so why this fixation on banning calls?
They're going after the most dangerous activity out there, with some extra technology - not sure why this is such a big issue ?

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I wish they would use that technology to catch criminals, but maybe there is no money in that, just extra cost to house water and feed them :rolleyes:

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Apparentley, yes. You should stop and reprogram your sat nav, unless you have voice control.
Not sure the voice command works on our Satnav (nicknamed Stella). Have tried "Oh Oh Please!! Stella turn left.....I said F******g left, LEFT, !! Not here, 200 metres ahead, .......NOW!! Oh Oh Please!! Rejoin the road, perform a u turn, at the next junction, perform a u turn......." :giggle:

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not sure the voice command works on our Satnav (nicknamed Stella). Have tried "Oh Oh Please!! Stella turn left.....I said F******g left, LEFT, !! Not here, 200 metres ahead, .......NOW!! Of Oh Please!! Rejoin the road, perform a u turn, at the next junction, perform a u turn......." :giggle:
I once had an Ozzie Osborne voice on my TomTom, which would F and Blind if I took a wrong turn. :LOL:
I thought it was brilliant, but SWMBO made me remove it. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I noticed in an early post the mention of cyprus. It would seem that modern cars can not function here without the driver hold a phone to their ear.
Maybe its some security feature so the car knows there is a person sitting in the driving seat.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
how is tapping a mobile on a holder any different to changing gear or fiddling with a radio

How odd that just about all new cars have an "infotainment" screen on the dash that requires faffing about through menus or linking to the mobile phone just to do simple things.

Did this slip past the elf & safety rule makers unnoticed?

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I wish they would use that technology to catch criminals, but maybe there is no money in that, just extra cost to house water and feed them :rolleyes:

Not a big extra cost in Nottingham Prison. They keep commiting hari kari to reduce expenditure.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I believe in safety but the H&S have become hitlers tunnel vision as was stated loadsa over gadgets

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
One thing with hands free phone is a lot of night trunkers use this talking to each other. It could be argued it helps to keep them awake and with the monotonous routine every night doing the same route night after night.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I wonder if you wear gloves technically your not touching it ?

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
Watched a report on this earlier this morning. The lady on screen has a phone that can be put into “Drive Mode” that switches the phone off and gives callers a message that she is driving and will contact them later. She was suggesting that technology could be put into cars to do this. As for the radio, both our vehicles have the controls on the steering wheel.

Apples IOS (iPhone) has has this feature for some years now. Go to settings ... Go to Do Not Disturb ... Do not replay whilst driving and then set up options to automatically send a response to anyone who contacts you to let them know you’re driving.

The limits notifications and calls so you’re not distracted.

if you have a hands free setup then incoming calls can be diverted to that.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Smoking should be banned as well, how can you light a cigarette never mind hold it while driving, and what about pets and children, they should be in sealed units to prevent distracting the driver, and whoah betide you if you speak to anyone while driving.

Hang on now 596 , your pushing boundaries now. Lighting a cigarette while driving is a skill- you can do it without taking your eyes off the road!
now, rolling a fag whilst driving is a skill on its own, still can do it with out taking eyes off the road, tobacco & tips all over the seat, licking wrong edge of Rizla, fag unravels when lit, burn your legs whe light drops off. Never mind you douse it with p*ss after the eight pints of beer you just drank! Never mind, you have to drown your sorrows after voiding your warranty changing bulbs (as someone quoted earlier) dear oh dear ????

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

The whole point of the exercise is to stop you being distracted by using a phone while driving.
It’s quite simple.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
How odd that just about all new cars have an "infotainment" screen on the dash that requires faffing about through menus or linking to the mobile phone just to do simple things.

Did this slip past the elf & safety rule makers unnoticed?
Annoys me that every sat nav, including the built in one in my car requires you to touch the screen every time to acknowlede a stupid message about not touching the screen. Ive tried ignoring it to see if it cancels itself, it doesnt :madder:

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average

Interesting faux pas. The correct phrase is of course “woe betide you”, meaning something bad could happen to you. Your “Whoah betide” you suggests that slowing down would be the consequence.
Or you might just be very clever and have planned it that way. Hmmm

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
About time this came in. I have no problem with using cameras to enforce the law out on the streets - if you want to use the roads, you have to abide by the rules.

Driving around in 2 tonnes of metal on our congested roads, whilst trying to text, email, instagram etc etc is just plain stupid. This is a cost-effective and relatively simple way to enforce a law, that shouldn't need enforcing really
Watched a young woman with a pushchair walk straight out into the road in Spain yesterday,,luckily the car stopped in time,,she never d
broke step,,She was on her phone and never noticed..BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
One thing with hands free phone is a lot of night trunkers use this talking to each other. It could be argued it helps to keep them awake and with the monotonous routine every night doing the same route night after night.
We had CBs for that years ago.?BUSBY.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
What about the driver that Has to look at passenger while talking to him her.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The looney left want to live in an ideal world, they even believe it's achievable. So we all have to go down this road of total surveillance and control ? how predictable.. And how depressing.
Its been implemented by the Looney Right !

Seriously though with the cuts the Tories have made to policing there really is not enough resource to prosecute those who use mobiles whilst driving, so automation is seen as the way forwards.

You cannot be in control of a vehicle and use a phone, research shows just how dangerous it is and none of us would want to loose a loved one because of a moments distraction.

We should all be in control of our vehicles at all times, as Stirling Moss said once: If everything is under control you are not driving fast enough ? so get to it people ?

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have just returned from Cyprus, while there I drove more that 500 miles on motorways single lane and mud roads. In that time I didn't see a single speed camera. The use of phones while driving is commonplace yet I didn't witness a single road incident. Driving was totally natural with full concentration on the road and other road users rather than facing distractions the likes of this new cash cow. Driving was an enjoyable experience again.

Lucky you didn't see any accidents; Cyprus has a much worse accident and fatality rate than the UK: In 2018, for every 1 million inhabitants in the , there were 28 car accident fatalities. Cyprus, 57. Perhaps the UK's strategy isn't about making money but saving lives.

1572685840142.png

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
The looney left want to live in an ideal world, they even believe it's achievable. So we all have to go down this road of total surveillance and control ? how predictable.. And how depressing.
We have a Conservative government in charge so how on earth can you blame this on left wing? Also grow up and stop using insulting language to put down people with different beliefs to you. God forbid we all live in a safer world with less needless deaths csused by dangerous drivers!

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I use mine as a satnav and it sits in a holder fixed to the windscreen. Am I allowed to touch it to change route if there is a problem ahead, I wonder?
That's classed as driving without due care and attention and comes with a fine and points. I was pulled over for exactly that a few years ago but luckily he let me off with a warning that time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back