Thieves were having a field day in Spain last week. (2 Viewers)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thieves were having a field day in Spain last week, some elderly people make it easy for them. Chatting to an elderly couple both in tears, the poor old bugger had two rings stolen from his fingers. One a 21st birthday present and the other belonged to his father. I really felt for them.
A dark haired lady had come up as if she was an old friend, she held his hand while kissing him on the cheek while rubbing his hands. They didn't notice until later that his rings were gone along with his wife's purse. This wasn't the only tale of woo, no end of similar situations were reported in and around the area. I can tell you I kept my hand on my ha'penny....:eek:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What area of Spain are you in @buttons?
Richard.
The Marbella area Clarky but I've seen the same on the Costa Brava, best not to loose awareness while on holiday I guess. They tend to blame the gypsies but dark hair sounding Spanish could be anyone...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Whilst walking around the leaning tower of Pisa site a couple of years ago the guide told us that the gypsies latest trick was for a woman to walk past you and throw a baby in your direction. Of course you try to catch the poor child ( a real one!) and during the commotion whilst holding the sprog her accomplice robs you. Someone then swipes the child back and they leg it. Unbelievable.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Whilst walking around the leaning tower of Pisa site a couple of years ago the guide told us that the gypsies latest trick was for a woman to walk past you and throw a baby in your direction. Of course you try to catch the poor child ( a real one!) and during the commotion whilst holding the sprog her accomplice robs you. Someone then swipes the child back and they leg it. Unbelievable.[/QUOTE

Yes!_thats true,
I remember that happened to Gordon Banks ,bounced it twice and kicked it up the street,didn't he?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not professing to know anything about this, but been ok up to yet, but if I did get robbed they would be very disappointed with their takings , as when I am in towns or anywhere else for that matter all I carry is enough cash for the day say at the most 30 euros in various pockets and an old phone that any self respecting thief wouldn't be seen dead with, no jewellery, no credit cards , nowt.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I read Daniella Westbrook had her handbag nicked on Marbella seafront recently. £600 and her phone gone and probably some party powder too:sneaky:;)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thieves were having a field day in Spain last week, some elderly people make it easy for them. Chatting to an elderly couple both in tears, the poor old bugger had two rings stolen from his fingers. One a 21st birthday present and the other belonged to his father. I really felt for them.
A dark haired lady had come up as if she was an old friend, she held his hand while kissing him on the cheek while rubbing his hands. They didn't notice until later that his rings were gone along with his wife's purse. This wasn't the only tale of woo, no end of similar situations were reported in and around the area. I can tell you I kept my hand on my ha'penny....:eek:

So this one occasion (and other non substantiated occasions) makes it a field day?

How many times does this happen each day in the UK, France, Germany and anywhere else in the world etc. etc.?

This sort of thing happens everywhere all the time, please don't single out Spain as being the capital of crime.

There are instances of this sort of crime in Spain but not always committed by the Spanish.

The only time we've been robbed of money was in Australia 2002 and New Zealand 2009!

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I am currently Marbella based and at the moment a number of reports are on going about East European gangs operating all along the Coast, they believe they are awaiting rich pickings from " Semana Santa" Easter,which is the biggest week of the year in Spain and normally packed out at the celebrations.

You have to be vigilant at all times almost everywhere, I believe the current term is "Street Wise" but unfortunately the majority are not, we witness opportunities every day and to be honest for those looking to take advantage of these opportunities it is too easy.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
And then there's the gassing..........................

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
You don't even need to get off the plane to get robbed £5.40 for 2 small bottles of water. :eek:

There is always going to be Romanian gypsies/ bandits and people with nothing just waiting for the opportunity, and the cheap booze makes it easier for them, when your brain is relaxed.:rolleyes: :LOL:
I'm like the Queen and don't carry any money, ;) and getting money off Janie is very challenging I have been trying for 35 years. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Last edited:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I am currently Marbella based and at the moment a number of reports are on going about East European gangs operating all along the Coast, they believe they are awaiting rich pickings from " Semana Santa" Easter,which is the biggest week of the year in Spain and normally packed out at the celebrations.

You have to be vigilant at all times almost everywhere, I believe the current term is "Street Wise" but unfortunately the majority are not, we witness opportunities every day and to be honest for those looking to take advantage of these opportunities it is too easy.

The same (probably) gangs were interviewed in Barcelona before the London Olympics and they'd got their tickets booked to travel there to "work"!

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I don't think it is just spain. It is anywhere touristy where people are relaxed and off their guard.
It does have the pickpocket capital of the World! Barcelona.
Also Madrid is On the top 10 world list
So Spain does seem to have a bigger problem than others.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Trouble is it is seen as a very wealthy area the CDs. Bit like Monaco is to France.
Up here we are potless & they'll still try & nick it.lol
I ' ve found best way is to resemble a tramp.

As above. Just carry 40/50 € at most. Any credit/debit cards all in my front pocket zipped up.
Phil
Needs to be on a thin wire attached to an alarm in your pocket as well .If not it will still go. I was in the Guardia a few years back & there was a bloke there who carried it like you & they'd lifted it without him knowing

Same everywhere when you have large crowds.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I read in the Peterborough Telegraph about a gang of thieves from Romania ,aparently there is a Theives academy in Romania where you can learn on how to be a criminal ,they are even taught on how to avoid forensic science

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The only time we've been robbed of money was in Australia 2002 and New Zealand 2009!

I'm usually robbed legally every time I go to the UK.:cry:

For the ladies a word of advice as offered by stallholders years ago. Cash only ,or one card, & carry it as the gypsy women & market traders do. In your bra. You'd likley notice someone dipping you.:)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I was robbed at gunpoint by an Argentina Copper, of a light grey Roo skin leather jacket.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I'm usually robbed legally every time I go to the UK.:cry:

For the ladies a word of advice as offered by stallholders years ago. Cash only ,or one card, & carry it as the gypsy women & market traders do. In your bra. You'd likley notice someone dipping you.:)
I don't have a bra so keep everything in a security pouch under my clothes. I use a wallet with a chain (attached to my trousers) for small change. The last time that proved it's worth was in the main square in Marrakech, where a nice African man had his hand in my pocket, but bought out a handful of security Chain...... much to Mrs CC's amusement.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
So this one occasion (and other non substantiated occasions) makes it a field day?

How many times does this happen each day in the UK, France, Germany and anywhere else in the world etc. etc.?

This sort of thing happens everywhere all the time, please don't single out Spain as being the capital of crime.

There are instances of this sort of crime in Spain but not always committed by the Spanish.

Not totally non substantiated jumartoo, another was an old soldier who looked like he was a bit of a bruiser in his day, had just used the ATM with the intension of a gift fore his anniversary. Again a women had her hand on his money, he said if you don't get your hand off my money I will break your fu...in fingers. I guess she had some understanding of the English tongue.....
That is two occasions would you like more..(y)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Whilst walking around the leaning tower of Pisa site a couple of years ago the guide told us that the gypsies latest trick was for a woman to walk past you and throw a baby in your direction. Of course you try to catch the poor child ( a real one!) and during the commotion whilst holding the sprog her accomplice robs you. Someone then swipes the child back and they leg it. Unbelievable.

Wouldn't work on me Bob I don't do catching :) think there would be a loud thud

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
wonder if having a poo in a bum bag and wearing it wheres its easy to access ,might be fun when the thief dips his hand in :whistle::whistle:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
wonder if having a poo in a bum bag and wearing it wheres its easy to access ,might be fun when the thief dips his hand in :whistle::whistle:
There is one in the bus stop outside the Royal Troon golf course that's probably nicely done by now ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back