Thetford SOG (1 Viewer)

May 18, 2021
south coast
Funster No
MH
burstner elegance910
I've fitted Thetford SOG and it works really well. Someone said on MHF to use biological washing liquid instead of thetford blue.
How much do you use ??

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
If you have a SOG, you shouldn’t need to add anything.

Bio washing liquid does work though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I usually put a couple of cap fulls in don’t get any pongs😊 and keeps cassette clean👍

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I use the bio powder tablets at 1 x per refresh of the cassette.

They make my task of emptying the cassette a much pleasanter experience, and it helps to keep the interior of the cassette calcium free. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The SOG system eliminates the need for chemicals though some use bio liquid as well. The Thetford extractor system which is not a SOG operates differently, I don’t think they make the same claims about not needing toilet chemicals.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The SOG system eliminates the need for chemicals though some use bio liquid as well. The Thetford extractor system which is not a SOG operates differently, I don’t think they make the same claims about not needing toilet chemicals.

The Thetford system draws the air/pong from within the cassette itself, what's the difference from a SOG?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The Thetford system draws the air/pong from within the cassette itself, what's the difference from a SOG?
The difference is in what they claim to do. SOG says it eliminates the need for chemicals whereas Thetford says it eliminates the chemical odours from the washroom. It may well be that the Thetford system works just as well as SOG but they just want you to buy their chemicals as well as their extractor fan.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My motorhome came with the Thetford SOG and we use it. We also use Aldi or Lidl bio liquids in the cassette. We also carry a spray bottle of diluted bio liquid next to the toilet and spray it before we flush to keep the bowl clean.

As others have said the bio liquids will not work if you continue to put Thetford (or other) chemicals in the toilet.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Fart extractors work by sucking air in through the trapdoor. Passing that extra oxygen over the surface of the faeces and urine, so speeding up breakdown of solids. Then blowing the stink outside for others to enjoy

Those that believe that there is no need for any deodorant obviously believe that their shit don't stink. News for you is that it does. Adding bio liquid/tablet/powder/pod adds enzymes that digest the smelly bacteria and most add a fragrance. Otherwise you will be emptying 20 litres of diarrhea every time you empty your cassette. Pity those that follow you at the disposal point and have a thought for all those airborne pathogens. Wasn't there a study that detected live Covid 19 pathogens in sewage, still alive days later?

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Was parked next to dutch van while abroad, it had a sog, woke up in the night dreaming that someone was trying to choke me with poo. I had the over garage windows open the stench was incredible. don't dislike sogs in principle but dislike those who think they don't need a charcoal filter. Just imagine the sog when the toilet is at the same side as your habitation door, sitting having a nice drink when someone feels the need , not pleasant at all. The filters do work if changed often enough.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
SOG has a micro switch that operates from the blade mechanism, meaning the fan is always on whilst the blade is open. I have a roof vent SOG but they also do cassette door and underfloor options.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've got thru the door, do you think the fan runs long enough
You can cut the wire to the fan and install a courtesy light extender to allow the fan to run on for an extra minute
how often do you change the filter
The big question is how much do you use the toilet? Recommended once a season if you only use it for a few weeks per year. More often if you use it regularly. Think every 6 weeks to 2 months. If it is the black carbon foam sheet type, buy cooker hood filters and cut loads out of a single sheet. The activated carbon plastic boxes can be refilled if you open it up. Paying for branded filters is ridiculous money for what it is

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I don’t find the need for an extender, once the blade closes the cassette is sealed so no smells escape into the washroom.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
it is the black carbon foam sheet type, buy cooker hood filters and cut loads out of a single sheet.
Our first van had a door vent SOG I tried that totally useless compared to the genuine filter.

Last van had an underfloor SOG, they recommend changing once a year but I reckon more like every 3 months, I refilled the canister with active charcoal pellets that worked as well as the original and cost 3 to 4 quid compared to 25 quid.

Current van had an underfloor SOG I converted it to a roof vent.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back