Thermal insulated screen covers (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I'm looking into getting some type of screen cover. I have looked at the Silver screen website which produce the exterior type which if I understood correctly can also be fitted on the inside. However they are rather expensive. I have found these which seem quiet cheap. https://www.mon-camping-car.com/art...therme-fiat-ducato-apres-2006#caracteristique

Is there any advantage between fitting an outside insulation screen or a inside screen cover. Do you still get condensation protection with one fitted on the inside?

Or for the outside:

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Hi silverscreens or Taylor made only fit the outside
The main difference between internal and external are
You get no condensation with the external ones we are out all year and would not be without our Taylormade covers between the months of October until early April

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I really love mine, once I got the fitting technique correct then it is easy. They keep the screen free of condensation as the heater keeps it warm under the covers, use a lot less gas doing it. No good though if you are wildcamping and might need to leave in a hurry.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
External Silver screens are the ONLY ones that really work..
Mitch. You will not regret the purchase, but we got ours from them second hand..

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Hi silverscreens or Taylor made only fit the outside
The main difference between internal and external are
You get no condensation with the external ones we are out all year and would not be without our Taylormade covers between the months of October until early April
silver screens can be fitted inside as well,
img1415069.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
External screens cost more, because they are better.
A silver screen inside the van does not stop heat or cold getting into the van, an external one does.
In the summer and winter external screens stop rivers of condensation running down the screen, internal screens do not.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree external one are the only ones worth using I used to use them all the time on the last van. Bought some for the current van an A Class and only used them a couple of times. I find with the habitation heater outlets on the dash between the blind and the screen don't need them unless it extremely cold.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Agree external one are the only ones worth using I used to use them all the time on the last van. Bought some for the current van an A Class and only used them a couple of times. I find with the habitation heater outlets on the dash between the blind and the screen don't need them unless it extremely cold.
Similar with us. We have a Hymer external screen that came with our new A Class, but have never used it yet. We get a lot less condensation on the windscreen that we did with our previous C class. We have an Alde radiator built into the dashboard and running almost the width of the screen and that seems to keep the condensation on the screen down. Still a bit of mist which we get rid off using the Karcher window vac, but no running streams.

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
I got in touch with Taylormade a few weeks ago regarding an extra long external cover for a facelift model of the Ducato as they don't show a picture of this item on their website but sadly I never got a reply and I will not buy something I can't see !!!

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
We use Silver Screen all year round. No condensation in cold/ cooler times and cooler in hot climes. Wouldn't be without them.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've just sold my Silver Screens on Ebay as I wasn't using them.

Yes, they definitely work and stop the condensation. But, if like us you like to go out in the van every day, I found them a faff to keep taking on and off and storing them away, especially if they were wet - which they usually are in the morning with dew.

If the cab is an actively used part of your van when you're parked up then I'd say they're worth having to keep your van warmer. If, like ours, the driver & passenger seats don't swivel and your cab is separated by a curtain from the back of the van, I personally don't think they're worth the bother. I'm going to get a window vac to help get rid of the condensation.

I can't complain mind - I bought mine for £75 on Ebay 2 years ago, and just sold them for £125!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Used external silver screens a couple of weeks ago on our Rapido A Class. We were very impressed with how easy they were to put on. How warm they kept the cab. How there was absolutely no condensation in the van at all. Well worth the money in my view....very quick to dry out too.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We always use our silverscreen .. never get condensation .. don't ever wild camp so it's not an issue. When we do move between aires or sites they are easy to take off. . They roll up easy and if wet just leave them in the shower..
They are also extremely good at controlling heat through the windscreen when it's sunny.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I got in touch with Taylormade a few weeks ago regarding an extra long external cover for a facelift model of the Ducato as they don't show a picture of this item on their website but sadly I never got a reply and I will not buy something I can't see !!!
The family have had a bereavement recently but will resume normal business soon. We bought our Taylormade screens secondhand & like new but a lot cheaper from an eBay seller (y) If considering this look at the photos of the front pull down Velcro on the screens as this yellows with exposure & age so those with clean white Velcro are more likely to have had little use.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015

Hi we have the longer version from them on our mh same front end as yours
How far down do you think it will be

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Hi Paul & Kate, I was hoping that it would at least cover the air intake grills, any chance of a photo of yours on the vehicle? I know its a big ask !!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If considering this look at the photos of the front pull down Velcro on the screens as this yellows with exposure & age so those with clean white Velcro are more likely to have had little use.
all well and good, but I have had a few new sets with cream/brown coloured velcro and the occasional set with black velco. neither type go yellow with age

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Paul & Kate, I was hoping that it would at least cover the air intake grills, any chance of a photo of yours on the vehicle? I know its a big ask !!!
I had the longer Taylormade screen for my previous X250 C class and it covered the air intakes below the windscreen.

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
Just sold my paragon silver screens on MHF.Only sold because got rid of the van.I have to say though,buy the best they are dear for a reason (they actually do the job)

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
I can take a couple of photos on Saturday if that's any use
But can confirm the longer version does cover the scuttle/air intake just below the windscreen
I think they also do a bonnet extension which also drops and covers the grill

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
When my screens were in use ,I set cab heater to re-circulate this stops most draughts from the vents

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
I can take a couple of photos on Saturday if that's any use
But can confirm the longer version does cover the scuttle/air intake just below the windscreen
I think they also do a bonnet extension which also drops and covers the grill

If you don't mind, I would really appreciate that.
I find it strange that Taylormade should feel that its good enough just to put a picture of a fiat motorhome on their webpage instead of an illustration of the cover !!
I would look elsewhere but they do seem to be the best quality.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
If you don't mind, I would really appreciate that.
I find it strange that Taylormade should feel that its good enough just to put a picture of a fiat motorhome on their webpage instead of an illustration of the cover !!
I would look elsewhere but they do seem to be the best quality.

We had the silverscreens on our last mh and Taylormade on this new one
Quality is the same
I too was taken aback with the lack of photos from Taylormades website
No problem Re photos should be around lunch time Saturday during its monthly clean lol
Will post them on this thread

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The more expensive "Long" Taylormade screens do cover the scuttle area as others have said - that's their unique selling point :) Makes them more bulky than Para-Gon Silver Screens but potentially worth it.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
I recently purchased silverscreens after looking at all the comments on here. there are many threads. they were about £10 dearer than the Taylor made ones and came with a separate apron which covers the vents. well worth the money for warmth and lack of condensation. Their service was great as well.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I recently purchased silverscreens after looking at all the comments on here. there are many threads. they were about £10 dearer than the Taylor made ones and came with a separate apron which covers the vents. well worth the money for warmth and lack of condensation. Their service was great as well.
Do you have a link please?.

Mickey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back