The Big Bread Thread ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Flapjacks to smile for (sorry not bread)
H
oping you funsters will not mind but I made these this afternoon, crispy bits around the edge and syrupy on the inside. Presentation not up to funster standards but.... eee, they are good??? Recipe link below, I went with 3x tablespoons of syrup, cooked them for 5-7mins longer, joyful!!! Mmmmm..... waiting to re live the Dream SMUDGER55

IMG_20200330_153633.jpg

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Just had a delivery of 10Kg of bread flour this afternoon, that, coupled with the 500g of yeast delivered Saturday should keep us going for a few weeks.

500g of yeast!

What’s your bakery called? ?

Ian

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just had a delivery of 10Kg of bread flour this afternoon, that, coupled with the 500g of yeast delivered Saturday should keep us going for a few weeks.

Where'd you get your bread flour? Everywhere I've looked is out of stock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You can freeze the yeast I cut it into the size I want then open freeze then bag just leave out over night or put it in your measured water

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Hey for all you people torturing yourselves by reading this forum who are on low carb diet and are becoming Soooo tempted by these delicious recipes and pictures ...
Check out the the low carb oven bread, machine bread and oven rolls in Forum Resources they are Yummy.
As near to real bread texture and taste, that blindfolded you would honestly not know the difference.
Good Luck all you breadies .. I can't bear the rumbling tummy, I've licked the screen twice, I'm sure I can smell fresh bread baking coming from inside my mobile.!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I made my first loaf ever last week, just three ingredients, four if you count the water.

No machine and used wholemeal flour because we didn't have white, which I prefer.

Very pleased with the result, got some white flour now, so that'll be next. View attachment 372696
well done you, exactly right, no sugar is needed that is how bread should be made. From the 60’s manufactures started to put additives such as flour improver and other weird chemicals to try and make ‘water stand up’ and the bread as nd quick to make as possible.

I suspect that loaf tasted amazing?I make my own. Bread these Days two 300 gram loaves twice a week. Often half white and half wholemeal.

blue cheese and raisin whit bread is good as a treat I make one about every 6 weeks.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
DSC_2698.JPG

I've been making sourdough for a couple of years and it's taken a while to reach this standard. Very satisfying and so much flavour. I'm living full time in the van now though so haven't made one recently but i have my starter with me and am going to experiment with the small oven or possibly the weber bbq soon. Worried about sourcing flour though as I've not seen any in the supermarkets lately. Have got enough in my cupboard for a few loaves though.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
View attachment 373329
I've been making sourdough for a couple of years and it's taken a while to reach this standard. Very satisfying and so much flavour. I'm living full time in the van now though so haven't made one recently but i have my starter with me and am going to experiment with the small oven or possibly the weber bbq soon. Worried about sourcing flour though as I've not seen any in the supermarkets lately. Have got enough in my cupboard for a few loaves though.

Nice! We are living on our sailing yacht at the moment and suffer much the same problem. As it happens we do have an oven on board but it only has one setting (on or off) so baking is a bit tricky (hence my ‘hob top’ methods for Soda Bread.

I do have a sourdough in the oven right now but it’s taken ages (!). I didn’t have a cover of any kind in the oven and not enough heat for a steam tray either?. I did spray the dough with a little water so hoping for the best?

I’ll post a photo if it seems worthy .....

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Made a sourdough loaf yesterday and proved overnight in fridge ,baked this morning can’t make anymore as don’t have anymore rye flour to top up starter
You could use white or wholemeal flour to feed it. I switch mine from rye sometimes

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How not to make gluten free Soda Bread (but it wasn't my fault - read on)

I am sure this recipe will work (might need a couple of tweaks - maybe a spoonful of vinegar ?)

Ingredients

450 gm Dove's Farm Gluten Free Bread Flour
1 tsp bicarb of soda
1 tsp salt
1 tbspn caster sugar
1 tbspn psyllium husk
325 gm plain yogurt
1 egg
might need a drop of milk in addition

Oven at 200C and baking sheet well dusted with gf flour

Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Make a well and add the wet ingredients except the extra milk.

Bring together to make a dough using the extra milk if it is too dry . The mix should not be overly sticky but will be moist. Shape into a ball.

Put the dough ball onto the baking sheet, Make a deep cross on the top and put in the oven.

THIS IS WHERE IT ALL WENT WRONG!!!!!!

It should have taken around 25 minutes to bake the top, then needed to be turned over and baked for a further 10 minutes or until it sounded hollow when tapped.

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED

After 10 minutes in the oven we had a power cut and I said "botheration". The power cut lasted over an hour. When it did come back on I still baked the loaf. It smells okay and looks ugly but it is far too dense and solid.
100_9881.JPG

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The Yorkshire Pudding went well (mix made before the power cut and cooked after it came back on). Here they are still in the muffin tin so the height is from the bottom of the muffin tin :) We ate two each last night and the rest are in the freezer :)

100_9883.JPG
100_9884.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
How not to make gluten free Soda Bread (but it wasn't my fault - read on)

I am sure this recipe will work (might need a couple of tweaks - maybe a spoonful of vinegar ?)

Ingredients

450 gm Dove's Farm Bread Flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbspn caster sugar
1 tbspn psyllium husk
325 gm plain yogurt
1 egg
might need a drop of milk in addition

Oven at 200C and baking sheet well dusted with gf flour

Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Make a well and add the wet ingredients except the extra milk.

Bring together to make a dough using the extra milk if it is too dry . The mix should not be overly sticky but will be moist. Shape into a ball.

Put the dough ball onto the baking sheet, Make a deep cross on the top and put in the oven.

THIS IS WHERE IT ALL WENT WRONG!!!!!!

It should have taken around 25 minutes to bake the top, then needed to be turned over and baked for a further 10 minutes or until it sounded hollow when tapped.

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED

After 10 minutes in the oven we had a power cut and I said "botheration". The power cut lasted over an hour. When it did come back on I still baked the loaf. It smells okay and looks ugly but it is far too dense and solid.
View attachment 373355

I’m a bit confused.... bread flour has gluten, did you mean Doves GF flour?

Also why all the extra stuff? Not needed surely? however you DID leave out soda and tartar.....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I’m a bit confused.... bread flour has gluten, did you mean Doves GF flour?

Also why all the extra stuff? Not needed surely?

Yes, sorry, Dove's Farm GF Bread Flour but my other mixes will probably work better. (I've edited my post as I did use bicarb). No cream of tartar as it is impossible to find any that is certified as gf and the recipe I found didn't have it either - in fact none of the gf soda bread recipes from people I trust (Darina Allen, Phil Vickery, Georoid Lynch) have it.

You really do need the other stuff for gf bread baking or you end up with tooth breaker neutron star dwarf bread that even birds and rats won't eat.

Most gf flour has a good proportion of rice so is very dry and very tasteless. The egg helps to moisten and the husk helps retain the moisture. If you just use water to make the dough it ends up like solid wallpaper paste. Too much tapioca makes the bread "squeak" on your teeth - there used to be tapioca bread avaialbe on prescription that was totally disgusting and made your teeth tingle :(

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
The Yorkshire Pudding went well (mix make before the power cut and cooked after it came back on). Here they are still in the muffin tin so the height is from the bottom of the muffin tin :) We ate two each last night and the rest are in the freezer :)

View attachment 373356View attachment 373357
My favourite part of a roast I've been known to eat 4 of my own cooked in dripping ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Also why all the extra stuff? Not needed surely? however you DID leave out soda and tartar.....

If I still had an income I would make your recipe just substituting gluten free four for wheat flour but experience tells me it doesn't work like that ........ and I can't afford to waste flour, especially at the moment.

I have two bags of flour (1kg each) arriving at the weekend and the n next delivery will be mid-May at the earliest :( I will have to ration what I have.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Puddleduck I agree with you, my limited experience of GF was a few years ago when we wondered if Kate was Coeliac (turned out not to be). I do remember that getting a good rise without the gluten to hold the gas was near impossible. My experiments with all types of (gluten) flour have shown that Soda bread does not need the gluten or protein that is so necessary with yeast and that as the rise is so quick the gas formed does provide an open texture. I note that you didn’t use a rising agent (other than egg)....... would this not lead to dense bread?

I accept your point on not wishing to waste flour but you would only need to try it with 200g ...... worth a try maybe?

I use soda and tartar as I prefer the results but of course Baking Powder is the same thing! My DIL used to have an issue with gluten and she used GF baking powder...... again, worth a try?

??

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Chockswahay do you know if cream of tartar goes “off”? I have a very very old tub in back of cupboard.
I’m not sure..... does it have a use by date on the tub? Ive usually used up a tub within 6 months so can’t really say?

Edit: Kate just looked on line and the consensus is it has an indefinite shelf life if kept dry and away from heat?

To check it’s potency stir half a teaspoon of tartar in half a cup of warm water, add 1/4 of a teaspoon of soda......... stir...... if it generates foam then it’s good to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Yorkshire Pudding went well (mix made before the power cut and cooked after it came back on). Here they are still in the muffin tin so the height is from the bottom of the muffin tin :) We ate two each last night and the rest are in the freezer :)

View attachment 373356View attachment 373357
Mine rarely make it to the table..straight out of the tin, bit of salt and off you go :LOL: And any left eaten cold later.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I’m not sure..... does it have a use by date on the tub? Ive usually used up a tub within 6 months so can’t really say?

Edit: Kate just looked on line and the consensus is it has an indefinite shelf life if kept dry and away from heat?

To check it’s potency stir half a teaspoon of tartar in half a cup of warm water, add 1/4 of a teaspoon of soda......... stir...... if it generates foam then it’s good to use?
Thanks, no date on tub but if there were to be one it might not be even begin 201* :oops:
I’ll try the foaming method but wont the bicarbonate soda make it foam anyway?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back