The Big Bread Thread ? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
How about posting here any recipes, suggestions etc for making bread?

Or even simply photos of your latest bread based creation ?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I’ll kick off with today’s brekkie......

White soda bread made on the hob without any buttermilk or any other dairy product. It is made from plain white flour with an extra 10% worth of cut malted rye grains for extra taste?

235DA0B9-DA10-475D-8297-CC1EF01A8565.jpeg

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
watching with interest especially for hints/tips/recipes for a bread making machine.

Thursday i used mine for the first time in 2 years. The only ingredients i had was a bread mix that was out of date (im in self isolation for 2 weeks so couldn't go out to get flour and apparently it is sold out everywhere round here). So i decided to use it anyway - i wish i'd taken a photo now. even the magpies decided they wouldn't be able to take off if they'd tackled it :(

Yesterday some kind person left me some bread flour on my doorstep so i made another attempt. I had everything else i needed and it was in date. The loaf was passable and i enjoyed some with soup and toasted some this morning. I just can't seem to get it nice and light though.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Yesterday I made bread with Californian Ale yeast as I couldn’t buy any bread yeast. I normally use 20g fresh yeast but used 10g of dried. The dough rose well and I was happy with the loaves. I think I can smell Ale but everyone else thinks that is wishful thinking ?. Only difference is bread is possibly slightly softer.
CA04FB6E-0DB5-46EF-9B63-ABEFE227DDD7.jpeg

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
I've been using a Morphy Richards bread maker for over a year now and finally seem to have perfected it. Recipe calls for 280ml of warm water - i use 290 and it calls for 1 1/4 tsps yeast and I use 1 1/2. I use Matthews Cotswold Crunch Flour and their french bread flour mixed. Tastes fab. I use a couple of slices and then put in plastic bags sliced and use only what I need each day. Keeps very well. Also a fruit loaf using similar ingredients but addition of nuts, dried fruit and spices. Again keeps well in the freezer and makes a good supper toasted. We always take our frozen bread in the MH when we go away too. Ps i find small tins of yeast much better than sachets. You can get Matthews flour on line direct or through Amazon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I’ll kick off with today’s brekkie......

White soda bread made on the hob without any buttermilk or any other dairy product. It is made from plain white flour with an extra 10% worth of cut malted rye grains for extra taste?

View attachment 372621
Nicely done, I'll tell Yana I spotted these and get some brownie points

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Made a sourdough loaf yesterday and proved overnight in fridge ,baked this morning can’t make anymore as don’t have anymore rye flour to top up starter

I prefer to use Rye for my starter but really you can use any flour....... if you have wholemeal then that would be next choice otherwise just use white (y) You will find that white takes longer to 'grow' and may be a little less sour but still good to go

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Some suggestion for finding yeast might be useful. It’s like rocking horse sh*t right now.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Some suggestion for finding yeast might be useful. It’s like rocking horse sh*t right now.

Have you tried Tesco bakery for fresh yeast? Not sure if they're still actually working as not managed to get in one yet, queue was half way round car park when we went down yesterday so didn't bother waiting, just drove to The Food Warehouse and got some of what we needed!
Our local Morrisons also let us have fresh yeast just double up the amount from dried ie 500g flour 14g fresh yeast
Denise

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I made my first loaf ever last week, just three ingredients, four if you count the water.

No machine and used wholemeal flour because we didn't have white, which I prefer.

Very pleased with the result, got some white flour now, so that'll be next.
IMG_20200321_192104289.jpg

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I made my first loaf ever last week, just three ingredients, four if you count the water.

No machine and used wholemeal flour because we didn't have white, which I prefer.

Very pleased with the result, got some white flour now, so that'll be next. View attachment 372696
Wouldn't mind trying that …."whats the recipe today Jim"

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Luckily I had the motorhome packed before we cancelled the trip at the last minute so still got some ingredients.Flour seems to be very scarce at the moment.
Here's this weeks bloomer part strong white part wholemeal.400/100 mg
bread (2).jpg
bread (1).jpg

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Very pleased with the result, got some white flour now, so that'll be next. View attachment 372696
Wow! Well done you! Wholemeal is a little more tricky to get good results without ending up with a ‘brick’. You will love the result when you make a white loaf❤️

I prefer Wholemeal for taste and health but a good white loaf is hard to beat ? (spesh fresh with butter n jam?)

My top tips? Kneed well for a good 10 mins or so, be patient with the prove, and if any doubt about whether baked enough... bake for an extra 5 or 10 mins (it will only get a bit more crusty)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Listen up people! ?

Bread making is FUN! If you have not made bread before please do ‘have a go’....... you will make mistakes and you will have failures........ just keep at it! It’s all part of learning?

Keep notes on what you do each time, then you can always refer back to them. Also, only change ONE thing each time if you do change anything.

ENJOY ???

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
If you have the time and inclination have a go at sourdough...... if you really like it you will never need yeast ever again!

Me? I like bread all ways but my current ‘fave’ is Soda bread, quick and easy?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back