Tann Hill Inn New Price!!! (1 Viewer)

Please read the post below and then vote. I think that..

• Total voters

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Looks like it is going the way of the Jamaica Inn in Cornwall. Do not think Daphne DuMaurier would recognise that small smugglers pub on its quiet moorland road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I haven’t read the entire thread so excuse me if somebody has already made the suggestion but has anybody approached Tann Hill for comment or the reasoning of the hefty increase?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I haven’t read the entire thread so excuse me if somebody has already made the suggestion but has anybody approached Tann Hill for comment or the reasoning of the hefty increase?
Probably got a big mortgage that needs paying back. I bet people pay it, I am surprised at the prices they charge for beer in Manchester but people still pay it. What one person thinks is extortion another thinks is a good deal.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I've just had a look at their Facebook page. It's a very slick and professional operation - not your usual FB page :giggle: - professional-looking photos, constantly up-dated posts, and all of the comments from supposed 'followers' appear to have been co-ordinated - many of them including quotes from poetry 🤔.

It looks as though they've spotted their niche in the current market, and are throwing plenty of money at ensuring success.

Although we, personally, will not be going, I doubt that they will be unduly worried. We're not their target market. I suspect they'll do well with 'young professionals' with money burning in their pockets after months of homeworking and no foreign holidays or expensive meals out.

They're not aiming for motor homers who might be trying to sneak into Yorkshire with fridges full of bacon and Aldi beer, and tins of Spam in the larder ;).
I object to your suggestion that ’Yorkshire folk’ would be tight enough to take Spam over the border, it would be Corned beef, thanks you 🤣🤣🤣🤣😂🤣🤣🤣

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I suspect it's because the new owner has spent at least £115K on the kitchen and electrical system so far, according to another newspaper article, so goodness knows how much more on a new extension, accommodation, spa, rooftop observatory, etc. etc. and will have to (try) and get it back somehow.

He might I suppose if he can attract the kind of clientele he obviously desires, but it won't be for me. Another traditional rural pub spoilt by characterless "improvements" as far as I'm concerned, although I realise I'm probably in a minority compared to the expectations of the younger generations.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning

:LOL:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Looks like it is going the way of the Jamaica Inn in Cornwall. Do not think Daphne DuMaurier would recognise that small smugglers pub on its quiet moorland road.
Not been there for years, always use to stop off on the way back home for lunch and a walk around the weird museum they have.

Probably wouldn't recognise it now......

Reactions: 68c
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
They remove any comments which dont agree with them. They have lost a lot of motorhomers like me, who have visited a few times a year.

So they want a ridiculous price and also can't stand criticism so they remove comments. I know things are bad but bearing that in mind and having looked at Trip advisor I doubt they deserve to survive. It's a competitive industry and they sending clear signals to motorhimers that they are not wanted. Also looking at their menu its well over the top. Much of it is catering pack boil in there bag and just under £25 for a lamb shank it taking the P. A meal for two with starter main and desert would set you back a fair few quid. Add bait more and you could be eating in a Top class restaurant, which this place isn't.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Probably got a big mortgage that needs paying back. I bet people pay it, I am surprised at the prices they charge for beer in Manchester but people still pay it. What one person thinks is extortion another thinks is a good deal.
If the prices in Manchester bother you, don't stop anywhere south of the M4!

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Last time we arrived at TH there was a small flock of sheep walking out the front door from thr bar :doh: ... but I bet they've been baaared now by the new owners.
They'll probably get fleeced as well.:giggle:

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
If they said "£40 per night per couple, (deductible from your bill)", then that would seem reasonable, and they would only get those punters who were happy to wine and dine. A win win for all concerned.
That's what the owner of a Hotel in Caister On Sea had to do, as folks were taking the urine by staying over, but not contributing to his business. He provided the biggest breakfast I have ever eaten. ;)
Unfortunately, it's no more as the new owners have shunned MH'ers. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)
More than fair - would be happy to pay under those circumstances

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
No flippin way would I pay £40 to stay in a fully-featured campsite, much less a pub car park.

If it was £40 deductible from a meal for two, then fine. This would encourage real patrons.

A business that deletes genuine comments that aren’t abusive doesn’t deserve to survive long.

Harrumph.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
They’re obviously not expecting us locals (Yorkshire folk) to stay that’s for sure.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
If we were to tour the UK im sorry to say we wouldnt be staying there at that price....Not being tight fisted or anything but just going from the posts ive read.

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
When we stay on CMC sites it ends up at £32 a night in popular places, and they don't include breakfast so £40 with two breakfasts looks comparable. I don't like the new change but I think they will manage quite nicely.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
any business is about supply & demand , it’s of no relevance how many won’t go
It’s about how many will go , where I live we pay to get away from places like that 😄 BUT I wish them luck

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
From Facebook just now:

The Tan Hill Inn

🇬🇧
CHANGES TO CAMPER VAN BOOKING / MOTOR HOMES & CAMPING
🇬🇧
. We are delighted to advise that as we now approach what we hopefully can call “normality” we are revising our policy on campervans / motor homes and camping in and around the Tan Hill Inn.
From today; any camper van or motor home booking going forward , will be charged at only £10 per van regardless of occupancy. Breakfast can be purchased separately. The charge is made only for vans parked on OUR land on East elevation car park area which will be restricted to 10 vans. Please book directly on line for that at www.tanhillinn.com .

Full English breakfast will now be a separate transaction and you can order that if you so wish when you arrive. They will however, be no compulsion to do so. ( it was growing in volume and to be honest was stopping the prep of our important Lunch service in a small kitchen )
The charge of £10 will assist in covering the cost of a Night Warden for Perimeter security, cleaning of outside toilet & shower facility every 2 hours, and removal of any rubbish that is left and generally keeping the surrounding area of the pub in good order.

Camping to the rear of the pub will be restricted to 15 tents only at a charge of £10 per tent. There will continue to be a restriction of strictly no fires
🔥
This condition seeks to protect the beautiful moorland that surrounds our lively Inn. Please book on line at www.tanhillinn.com
We confirm that profit of these transactions on all the monies collected will contribute to our charitable endeavour. Example - last month we gave £1000 to Swaledale Mountain Rescue and we will be collecting for them again very soon. We do not seek to make any profit from these overnight stays, save to sell food and drink which is the very reason for our being here. As things get back to normal so shall we. We can’t wait to have people stood at our bar, locals talking in B / S corner and you all admiring the great but subtle changes that have been made to the original bar.

We hope you will support these changes and look forward to greeting you again this season.
✅
BOOK VANS OR CAMPING ON www.tanhillinn.com existing bookings remain in place.
✅

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
The charge of £10 will assist in covering the cost of a Night Warden for Perimeter security
This bit made me laugh....exactly what is this night warden securing against? Curious sheep?!?!

My family and I have been going to Upper Swaledale for over 35 years and often used to pop into Tan Hill for a Theakstons and a game of pool or two. This was way back in the days of Margret and her husband (whose name I sadly can't recall). Back then it was a bit of a dive if I'm honest, but more than made up for by the character of the owners and the roaring log fire as soon as it headed into winter. The first time we ever went there, I can remember clear as day my dad explaining to my brother and I (we must have been about 7 and 5 years old) that this was the highest Inn in England etc etc...he opened the door and we heard the barman shout "Ey op" and then my dad fumbling with something. The barman had thrown one of those clyinder-type balloon things filled with liquid (that are almost impossible to hold onto). The bar of course fell about laughing and that was apparently our initiation over and we were deemed worthy of ordering a drink.

My other, fondest memory of Tan Hill is again in the Margret era. By this time, our family were kind of honorary "remote locals" so to speak. They knew us by name but we weren't "local" so to say. This was the time my father and I stayed the night to do our climb. Before i go further, a brief side note is needed - Margret's husband was a wonderful man, with a typical Yorkshireman's dry sense of humor, but he also loved novelty "joke" items, as you will see in a moment!

So, we had come down for breakfast and the breakfast room was just off where the pool table used to be. All the juices were the small Schwepes bottles and were laid out on top of an old piano. My dad helped himself to a bottle of orange juice and looked around for a bottle opener. Sure enough, there was a typical pub-style beer branded one lying next to the bottles. Upon putting it to the bottle and putting a bit of force on to pop the cap, a shrill scream emitted from the bottle opener! With a cry of "Shitty death!!" my dad dropped the bottle and opener, to be met with this dry cackle coming from behind a big velvet curtain. "Hehehe, get's em everytime Paul". Out the husband popped from behind the curtain!
It was always impossible to put an age to him, but I would guess he was around 70 or so, but he was tiny...If he was over 5 foot I would be suprised. He then asked us if we wanted the full English, to which we responded with a hearty "Yes please!". Then, he listed every single item that would be on the breakfast...diligently waiting until we had responded in the positive before moving on to the next item. It seemed to take bloody hours!

Finally (before I bore you all to death) as we were finishing our own breakfasts, we were joined by a fairly young couple and their young son, aged around 6 I would guess. They were dressed in what were obviously brand new, matching, his'n'hers "walking gear", but seemed perfectly pleasant. Again, the same drill with them ordering their breakfasts...each item listed in turn. After going through this rigmarole, the couple asked, perfectly sweetly "Would it be possible to have a child's breakfast for our son?"..."A child's breakfast???" he replied, with seeming confusion. "Yes, you know...the same as ours, but smaller portions for our little boy". "riiight, ok, I'll see what I can do"......he walked away from them to go into the kitchen, but as he passed our table he muttered under his breath to us "where t'bloody hell am I going to find a child size egg????!!!!"

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That’s probably because they now understand the legal implications of trying to charge people for parking on land that has absolutely nothing to do with them?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Is the land around the pub a common grazing area or part of a farm?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back